M*CARBO Brotherhood

Old Guns Versus New Guns And The Future?

My step father and I were discussing our firearms collections and how we both want to ensure we keep them in the family.

The problem, as he pointed out, is that all of the kids want modern weapons. They are cheaper, more accurate, and more reliable than the weapons filling our gun safes!

Nostalgia and the beauty of craftsmanship aside this is so true…I know some of these weapons go for very hefty premiums, but the market has slowed. Often the great weapons of the past sit on dealers shelves collecting dust while the Glocks and ARs fly out the door.

What is the opinion of the forum on this matter? I hate to think of selling, but at the same time a bunch of “obsolete” weapons can be a burden on a young person.

My dad is as old school as it comes with regards to firearms. All of his massive collection is old stuff. He wouldn’t dare own a striker, poly, or AR whatchamacallit. There’s really only 2 Guns of his I have any desire to own and that’s a Laseraim .45 and a Inglis Hi Power 9mm. Both of which are extremely rare and collectible. He’s made mention of auctioning off his collection when the time is right and I told him I’d rather keep all of them even the ones I don’t want simply because they’re his. I fancied myself a collector at one point but now I realistically only want stuff I’ll use on a regular basis.

So … invite the family over. Open the safe. Pull out the firearms you need to keep for now and your forseeable future. Then invite the family to pick what they want from the remainder.

Then decide between sending the family home with their prizes versus copying what you learned into a will. Slow sell what doesn’t get picked - slow as in maximize your return. Then, use the proceeds to search out duplicates for the firearms everyone wanted, e.g. you might need a Marlin 1894C for each of your kids or grandkids 'cause everybody wanted yours.

@Kona I think you summarized my dilemma well.

For example I have a pre '64 Winchester model 70, .270 caliber, stocked by Dale Goens. Its gorgeous, beautiful, currently worth about $11,000 and it shoots somewhere between 1.5-2 MOA.

Same goes for all of the S&W N-Frames, model 27s, gorgeous pistols, valuable, but heavy and slow to sell…the list goes on and on.

I hate to say it, but I am starting to think there is no future in old guns? Maybe it is time to cash out while we can?

@Dred yeah we have done that…and while everyone loves the beauty of a limited edition Ruger no. 1 in .25-06 no one actually wants a rifle that is heavy, shoots 1-2 moa on a good day, when they can get something better out of the box! Lol

My family has always held on to guns, never sell, pass 'em down. The collections are getting pretty out of hand. I have put a bunch of military weapons on loan with the museum, but I am wondering what will become of the rest?

My stepfather’s answer is to basically punt…let the next generation deal with it! Lol

I bet I am not the only person on this forum that has guns in the safe that have not seen the light of day in over a decade? :confused:

speak for yourself john :grin: even the 458 gets fresh air at least once a month. and i will put the 6mm remington up against just about anything out there. as well as the Ruger#1s.:smiling_imp:

@GOBLIN :+1: right on brother!

@GOBLIN you do realize that you just “gored the sacred goat” of the Ruger fanatics though? Lol

i was told i had ruined a perfectly good Humpback Browning A5 by actually using it to hunt, at this point in its life, the gold plate has worn off the trigger LOLOL.

@GOBLIN Eh, you probably did! But I don’t have much use for “wall-hangers.” :laughing:

But damn the A5 was a hell of a shotgun in its day! (Of course today I can name a dozen better). But for those of us who grew up with old guns they were “priceless”.

I don’t think the younger generation will value them though…they have better to choose from!

Wow, I don’t know if I can even put into words how I truly feel about that question and the desires and perspective of the modern generation with respect to old weapons.
I am just shy of 55, and I certainly view the world different than most from my generation so I’m a bit unique I suppose, but a good deal of my being seems to be from even earlier times.

Even though it is seen as the case by the young generation.
I refuse to accept the idea that these old guns are “obsolete” (with rare exceptions maybe) other than if you try to place them beside a modern weapon, in a modern day set of circumstances and requirements they were never designed or intended for, with the expectation of them to match that level.
And for them to be a burden on a young person, or any person, is a failure on the part of those persons for not not seeing or understanding what place they have and represent. IMHO
That being said, I can understand keep only what you use as Kona said, because that has logic and practicality.
Or if the goal is to sell while there is still as much monetary value to gain as possible.

If I had the resources or some pie in the sky circumstance that could allow me to, I would buy the collections such as many here not only for my personal enjoyment, but to record and keep their specific histories in tact for the future when the current views change.
So much is not only the gun itself, but the oral and family history, that can be lost forever with a single generation.

But that’s just me maybe.

And I agree with Goblin. They all should be taken out and used on occasion at least. That is why I took my 1894 32 win spl out a while back. Even though it is a 110+ yr old gun it should still get the honor of being what it is.

Let me add another perspective here. With the constant threat of gun control/confiscation/buy backs I am seeing greater value in older weapons with no paper trail. Call me paranoid or whatever, but I’ll bet there are people all over the world that wish they would have kept grandpa’s old unregistered firearm when the government came knocking on the door to take the ones they were known to have.
Since the 1930’s our second amendment rights have steadily been eroding. Those old unknown, unregistered weapons are becoming more valuable everyday in my opinion.

@jeffing65 You sir, “are a diamond!” I wish there was a museum or place to display old firearms…manlicher stocked mausers, pre 64 winchesters, browning A5s and the like.

I used to have a hobbyist FFL back in the day, mostly dealt in sks, aks, makarovs, etc. My partner once took in a Colt SA peacemaker from a gentleman who was clearly a vagarant, down on his luck for $75.

He sold that pistol for $8,000 cash and eight high end weapons in trade. (That was back in the '80s). We had a falling out over that deal and is why I never sell anything!

But, that is my point…maybe these old guns should be cashed out now? Instead of burdening the young with weapons that are hard to sell, fetch a pittance of their value, and can easily be replaced with newer, cheaper, better weapons?

@Texprep you have a valid point.

@Texprep I agree with that 100%. And I wouldn’t call it paranoid at all. That is simply a realistic and objective observation and assessment of the facts.

Boy you hit the nail on the Head ! My Problem Also in Roundabout way’ Where does one go for a Honest Offer for Your Weapons, I do not Really have Any True Collectables Other than my Savage 99 308’ have no Idea if it’s consider Rare or just a Oldie that is not in Production Anymore, I’m really Tired of the low ball B.S. Offerings that I have had on some of my Weapons Like the 375 H&H Mag Sako with Teflon barrel and Action Left Handed $500. Please !!
I Guess I put in the my Will and Hope my one and Only son who has not spoken to me years Figures it Out That are worth something and It was a Labor of Love.

From what I can tell, there’s still a healthy market for more classic firearms. The market as a whole has blown up, and the ability to get a really quality handgun or AR for 4-500 bucks is remarkable.

Personally, I fall on the fence of old and new. Yeah, for my primary carry gun I’ve got a polymer striker with red dot (and soon weapon light). I’m also getting into the AR game.

But I’ve got a .22 SA revolver and soon lever action, and would like a full size revolver and lever action, and maybe a snub .38. One of my favorite guns is a Colt Series 70 1911. I like wood grips.

Don’t think there needs to be a division. Some people are primarily interested in practicality, or the “tacticool”, others primarily in retro or classic designs. Guns are primarily a defensive tool for me, but they’re also a fun hobby, and classic designs are really cool.

I believe one of the biggest problems is the internet and the availability of both items and information planet wide. I think much of the time it creates a false perception of reality, if you will.
For example if you go to a pawn shop (at least here) with any kind of item with some value, they look on the net and find what the lowest something has sold for is, and deem that its max value. And then they will offer no more than 20% of that. That is just ridiculous IMO.
Just because a Plymouth Superbird or a B-26 Marauder sold for a 1000.00 dollars once, somewhere, sometime, in the somewhat recent past that you can confirm means nothing but it still affects how people think.
@DivaMarie And if you notice, the ones making the 500 dollar offers have none for sale at that same estimated market value.

I could only dream of being burdened so.

No its The Local gun range and sales for the Boat People in the Summer’ where they can Shoot Automatic’s Etc, And which I’m a member of! Try and Find a Left hand H&H from SAKO’ When I got mine’ One of the Long time Locals here which I had Bought a few guns from’ Blew Me off and said it would $1200.-$1400. if you could Find One’ Offered to pay for calls and time to Research it! Oh well found new one on Shelf in Maine for $700. and had it shipped to dealer/Via me !! He Did not speak to me for 20 years. Oh well you Snooze you loose !:sunglasses: