M*CARBO Brotherhood

Old find. Winchester Repeating Arms .22

This model 62A Winchester arms pump action .22 was brought to me in a coffee can of parts and a barrel separate from the stock. These were originally shooting galley guns for fairs and carnivals. Imagine that these days :joy: matching numbers also. Many had mismatched barrel and receiver numbers due to being disassembled in groups for cleaning and thrown back together with what was grabbed first. Was found in Ohio in a coworkers dads storage unit. Couple parts from EBay and it’s as accurate as it was the day it was made. Love the pump action and smooth as can be.

16 Likes

Great old rifles. Yeah, won’t see any more shooting galleries these days. But you can join us in the August match, fit right in Division A 50yd Rimfire, and get those 2 bonus points too.
https://forum.mcarbo.com/t/august-match-great-green-gobs-the-sharpshooter-series/10626/2

9 Likes

@rcdave09

Very cool rifle.
I have a Winchester Model 1906 that was built in 1937. It was covered in cosmoline and was in unfired condition.
Awesome little pump .22. These guns are going up in value all the time.

13 Likes

Very cool. Yes this was fired all to hell :joy: but I actually went and had the barrel inspected at a local gun builder and test fired. It has held up amazingly well. From the serial numbers we found that it was built in 1947/48 ish. The grand kids love it. We shoot it the hell out of it also.

11 Likes

WOW that’s clean. I’d keep that in the closet. They are fun though.

6 Likes

That sounds like a blast. (No pun)

5 Likes

It’s really brand new!!
I bought it a few years ago at a LGS. They thought it had been restored and I didn’t dispute that and the price was good because they believed that a restored gun was worth less than an original gun.

It was only when I got it home and spent hours cleaning it that I realized that it was an unfired gun. All the factory machine marks are still there and all the screw heads are pristine.

I sent pictures to the Cody museum in Wyoming to see what they thought about it.
I have the letter from them that I keep with the rifle. So it was built in 1937 and the value is a lot more than I paid for it! In fact it’s the most valuable gun in my collection by a long way.
It gets shot every year and the action is butter smooth, the accuracy is amazing and it’s a John Moses Browning design.

I want to find another one or a Model 62 like yours just to fun shoot.

10 Likes

It’s great that you get to shoot it. What a find huh ! I take this to the range and after shooting AR’s for an hour I have to make sure it fires. It’s like a cap gun. It will reach out to 100 yds no problem with some good old Kentucky windage

8 Likes

Yep, these old Winchester .22’s are amazing, easily out shoot their modern counterparts.
What you are doing is exactly what I do. Have fun with an AR then plink away with an old Winchester. Perfect. :+1:t3::us:

7 Likes

I have an older 10/22 that’s in good shape and the pump does better every time. Great gun for the kids to learn on also

8 Likes

No doubt about that!!
I have several 10-22’s that I built and none of them come close to any of my Winchester.22’s and the newest Winchester.22 I own was built in 1947!!
My son learned to shoot with a Model 67 built in 1938. He still has it and it’s still his favorite rifle 12 years later!!
A real testament to JMB.

10 Likes

I have nothing to offer here other than I am enjoying the guns in this thread. :grinning:

Oh, yeah, and @AV8R is a lucky bastige! We call guys like you “dipped in shit” where I’m from… :rofl:

10 Likes

I resemble that remark. :wink:
I always think it’s more fun to be lucky than good. :rofl:

8 Likes

Here’s another one for you.
Model 67A from around 1939. Rare as it’s a “Youth” model with the short stock and barrel.
Another JMB design.

11 Likes

Showing off again… :wink:

6 Likes

@chilipepper
It’s what I do😉

Here’s a comparison.
Model 67 above the youth Model 67.

9 Likes

I hear ya. :grinning:

It’s so tiny… That’s what she said!!! :rofl:

I crack myself up sometimes. :grinning:

8 Likes

@chilipepper

It’s not the size but how you shoot it…at least that’s what I keep telling myself. :unamused:

7 Likes

Right on man, I live by that motto :rofl:

7 Likes

Long and thin will get you in but short and fat is where it’s at.:woozy_face:

6 Likes