M*CARBO Brotherhood

Of Mortars, Cannons, and Men

INTRODUCTION
My fascination for old War Time Artillery and Black Powder Weapons has been the inspiration to create this thread.

As I am learning I will try to catalogue some of the parts and some of how it’s done.

So far posts #2 & #5 is where I am listing what “I think I know”.

Please feel free to add information by posting or contacting me via pm.

GENERAL STEPS FOR LOADING OF MORTARS AND CANNONS I HAVE ACCUMULATED RESEARCHING AND WATCHING THE VIDEOS IN THIS THREAD
(See post #2)

PARTS OF A CANNON
(See post #5)

Many videos with historic and current information are in this thread, The best one IMHO is in post #38.

If you’re considering purchasing or making a mortar or cannon…my advice is to start small.
You will most likely go larger and the cost will go up.

Above all…be safe! Make family, friends and viewers stand at a safe distance.

Thought I would start an interesting topic with Mortars, Cannons, Black Powder Firearms, Weapons, Replicas…whatever you have, like, or want to use with Black Powder.

:eye: know very little about the topic, but I’m jumping in…having fun…and want to learn more. :boom:

:eye: “started” with a small Marine Grade Bronze black powder cork mortar made by B.N.A. in North Carolina.

“After 10 years of successful production the manufacture of new cork mortars is being spun down. As of late 2019 no further cork mortars are being crafted or sold by B.N.A.”

Anyone have something like this?

11 Likes

Does it go boom yet?

3 Likes

Good question. I started with two cases of powder charge. The powder charge loading case is from a 22 LR. I’m not sure what the measured loading case is called?

Two case loads popped the cork ~30’. Just a small pop noise.

Next test was 5 case loads. A little louder and the cork flew about 60’.

I’m using ffffG black powder for this small mortar.

I plan to use 6 cases next. Might make a case loader from a 9mm casing.

The “small” cannon fuse is 2mm and burn time is ~25.2 to 26.4 seconds/ft.
I purchased the fuse from cannonfuse.com.

General Steps For Loading of Mortars and Cannons I Have Accumulated Researching and Watching The Videos in this Thread

Charging the Chamber…under review

1- The fuse inserts in the “touch hole” or “vent hole” for igniting.

2- The “touch hole” has to be reamed each time of use with a “priming wire” rod prior to loading/insertion of the fuse.

3- The “priming wire” also punches a hole in the “powder bag” (if used) that contains the black powder prior to inserting the fuse.

4- The fuse is inserted into the bottom of the powder chamber so all of the powder ignites at the same time.

5- When lighting the fuse, it is proper and paramount procedure to announce loudly

:boom::boom::boom: FIRE IN THE HOLE!!! :boom::boom::boom:

NOTE: It is important to follow recommendations for safe operation of any and all mortar or cannon manufacturers if you’re not familiar with the use of BLACK POWDER.

5 Likes

Not that I need another project but I think a small cannon should be in my future… those kits that were posted the other day peaked my interest. I’m thinking a 1” ball would be fun.

5 Likes

I hope people will post up the options.

I just received my next size up today. It’s a 18th century scale naval cannon.
1.695” Bore…and a LOT BIGGER!

PARTS OF A CANNON

5 Likes

Here’s a cannon kit manufacturer:

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/Built-it-yourself-Cannons

5 Likes

I like a potato gun ! :smile:

6 Likes

Ha ha…even the kids like to play…I’d call it a potato bazooka!:boom:
Potato Gun…Potato Launcher.

5 Likes

Here’s a home made “carriage” failure…it looked interesting at first!:eyes::boom:

The mortar looks good…but securing the cannon with a spring? :scream::eyes: try again!:grinning:

7 Likes

Using a potato gun has 2 purposes, have fun & feed the wild :pig & other critters at the same time. Love them wild critters ! !

4 Likes

@DirtSalior I surely thought you would say to mount your “survival knife” in the forward center of the potato if the throwing arm is broken? :see_no_evil::scream::rofl:

Save some sweat for the skinning/butcher party …that’s what I would do…:eyes::bow_and_arrow:

4 Likes

Did anyone here make a tennis ball cannon when they were kids using 4 or 5 coke cans with the ends removed (back when they had ends on both ends LOL) except for the bottom one, and all taped together? Put a little hole in the base of the bottom can, squirt in some lighter fluid and spread it evenly (shake the cannon) then put in a tennis ball. Put a lighter to the hole and PHOOMP! Send the ball halfway down the street.

Good times. :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Here’s a reproduction…:boom:

6 Likes

Ouch…that would hurt…:eyes::boom:

6 Likes

Getting more down to my size!..:boom:

5 Likes
5 Likes

Here’s a real cannon maker…:boom::grinning:

6 Likes

Wish I had the time, the tools, and the know-how of these craftsmen.

4 Likes

This guy I used to work with made a cannon with some friends
and would shoot over into a neighbors field until they set his barn on fire!

3 Likes

Guess I better wait til next winter to stuff the barrel with tracers…:boom::grinning::see_no_evil:

2 Likes