M*CARBO Brotherhood

NRA Range Safety Officer

Smart safety precautions. It is hard not being paranoid. A lot of ‘systems’ fail. All WE can depend on is trusting in ourselves? But that too is not always 100%…

I think the word “fear” is the wrong term I think “respected” is a better word. In all the training you pros have had have you ever been taught to FEAR something ?
Respecting some thing starts when you are aware. If you are aware then you know what to do when you see the signs that something is amiss.

And we are all responsible for doing that in a polite manner and when that breaks down then we must use all that is there to help others.

It gets to ROAD RAGE sometimes.

@lonewolf (et al)

Actually, even following a safe procedure does not guarantee that you won’t get hurt at the gun range.

The other day when I was at the (gun) range, I was firing a semiauto handgun. I was firing it normal speed (for me, about 1 shot every few seconds). Suddenly, after one of my normal shots, I felt an extreme burning pain at the base of my neck. The ejected shell had landed there and gotten stuck there. I put the gun down and bent forward to attempt to dislodge the hot shell. It worked, but by that time, it had left a nasty burn mark on my neck. I am still nursing that wound (burn mark).

I had done nothing unusual, but I still got hurt (burned by the spent shell). I do get spent shells ejecting onto me occasionally (once every 100 to 200 shots fired from semiautomatic handguns), though this was the first time ever it had landed at the base of my neck and burned me so badly.

Not sure how to get around that issue, but this really is just to point out that a shooter can still get hurt, even though they (and everyone around them) are following safety procedures. The guys running the range told me it happens frequently to someone there (not just to the same person).

@JohnB Good post brother!

As an RSO I feel about firearms the same way I do about chainsaws…love a good tool, but am always cautious and respectful, in use! Years of practice leads to confidence and skill.

But I still keep a trauma kit nearby!:grin::+1:

@JohnB

I was just going to say, ‘what a truly remarkable post!! It also brought up ol’ days and 2nd-degree burns of oxyacetylene welding with schoolmates who were improperly taught safety procedures. I had to quit a mechanic’s trade school and went to work 'full time! It wasn’t like I hadn’t grown up around tools all of my life… But that is ‘another’ adventure for another time??? YES, ejected spent shells can be a mofo? I have been known to message a degree or two from an ejector now and then to keep from getting burnt! I cannot imagine being a range officer and calling a round due to OVERHEATING… LOL Knowing my luck, it would be a ‘jewel’ of a problem? :thinking:

@Johnksg , @lonewolf

Thanks guys for your great replies.

On the other hand, I like to always say that one of the safest places to be is either at a gun store or range, or a gun show.

The little incident won’t slow me down a bit. I love going to the range to shoot at targets and hopefully improve my shooting skill. But, I had to make sure my wife (who is still new to guns, despite our having been married for almost 20 years), knew of the risk. She went to the gun range with me the next time I went and she made sure to dress protectively (no way a burning shell could go down her top). That range trip went well and helped ease her mind a bit.

Food for thought for any guys wanting to introduce their wives to shooting at the range.

@JohnB that hot brass caught in the collar is known as a range hickey lol - it is a badge of honor :sunglasses: :+1:

@TriggerHappy

Yeah, thanks. Looks like I will be wearing it for a while. That shell really got stuck there - took a while to get it out.

Yeah, I kind of think of it as a badge of honor - withstood the pain of having my flesh burning like that, carried on afterwards with my range fun till I was done. I am just glad it did not hit my eye like I had a shell do a few years ago (the spent shell had gone between my glasses and my head to rub against my eye - fortunately no permanent damage).

@Johnksg , @lonewolf , @TriggerHappy , (et al)

I believe that at least part of the reason I sometimes get the spent shell flying onto me is that I am cross-eye dominant. Meaning - I aim with my left eye, but pull the trigger with my right index finger (right hand). I sometimes change my stance to try to avoid the risk, but not always, and when I am using my normal stance is when it happens more often (still not more than 1 out of a hundred shots).

@JohnB

hahaha…that is food for thought. My cz52 throws brass 39-41 ft (13 paces) over the right shoulder, 4-5 o’clock, hot and with a vengeance. You don’t want to be in it’s path. I could just imagine it going down a girls top.

Maybe kind funny in the end, but for sure… NO POINTS WILL BE AWARDED!!

@Kona what the NRA teaches the teacher in a manner of instructing. One that attempts to remove any liability for the instructor and NRA by teaching proven techniques Safely. Also the terminology, a weapon is Not a weapon it’s a firearm, rifle, handgun, pistol or revolver it’s Never a weapon.

TO TEACH THE BASIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTITUDE NECESSARY FOR OWNING AND USING A PISTOL SAFELY.
Is what one of the requirements are to be a NRA certified pistol instructor.
Too many times I’ve seen individuals qualifying for CWP the have no business holding a firearm much less carrying one concealed or otherwise. Because they’re not taught the basics thoroughly.

This topic has been beaten to death. A thorough read through will cover everything that needs to be addressed and requires no additional dialogue.