M*CARBO Brotherhood

NRA Range Safety Officer

@godallmighty me either. Headed to youtube! Haha

No, I sure dont. I wish I did.
I’m sure there was video taken by individuals, as well as Fred Meyer, who would provide one of their huge Distribution warehouses for the competition and the competition sanctioning body itself.
If I could have competed one more year, barring a catastrophic failure on my part, I’m 100% that I would have pulled the title from under the wheels of the then 9 time world champ.

I never thought of YouTube. Duh!
There are huge, including world competitions for backhoe, crane, heavy equip. ie. dozer etc operators as well.

@jeffing65 Just checked youtube, I was going to post one, but are too many to choose from. You should go through them all and find one with you in it and post it

I wont have time today but I will do that.
I haven’t thought about it in a long time and didn’t think about it being on YouTube at all. That’s why you guys get the big pesos. hahaha

I retired after 32 years as an LEO in 2005 … I taught at the State Academy … I have run into other LEOs who have a lot of experience on the Police Range, but seldom draw the weapons except once a year for Qualification rounds … I took the Basic Pistol Course myself prior to becoming an Instructor … It never hurts to take a course even if most of the subject material is familiar to you as there is always something that can be gained from doing it … contacts for one …

@Firedog trust me I agree being a LEO/MIL doesn’t mean jack. Some of the worst shooters/safety/knowledge I’ve ever seen has come from both. I have civilian friends I trust more with my life than some of my co-workers. I never intended to come off as arrogant or a know-it-all. I just know how much time I’ve put into the craft. I train almost every single weekend and I take firearms and shooting very seriously. There’s levels to this stuff and you have people that put in the time and you have people that show up once a year to qualify and complain the whole time. Like I said, I’m going to the basic course I’m just not happy about it lol.

@Kona I don’t even know you personally but from the little I do know about you, you seem like a very knowledgeable person when it comes to firearms. Way more than myself not that I know much I was just raised around them and what not. I would take a class with you any day my friend. I am quite sure I would leave alot smarter than when I got there.:+1:

@Flogrown thank you my friend. :pray: I still have a lot to learn and a lot of classes on my bucket list to scratch off. My highest priorities are Sig instructor school and Sig armorer (new era).

@Kona I have no doubt you’ll get them all. You were a perfect pick to be mod here. I get your frustrations completely.

Hello, as an NRA certified RSO I will be the first to admit that the course can go from the obvious to the ridiculous. Really, you have to cover air guns and black powder? Much of the course simply refers back to the range SOP. If this course is presented “by the book” you will probably be disappointed.

However, if the instructor is good, cares about safety more than quickly running through the course and collecting a fee it can be well worth it.

In my class we practice standardized range commands, how to take control of a weapon, dealing with the public, and conflict resolution.

We just passed a new class of 12 RSO’s and with the sheer number and different type shooting clubs and matches at our range we will need every one of them!

My advice is look into the class beforehand. If you just want to get your certificate and do not care about learning anything then there are definitely classes like that…have even heard some instructors give students all the test answers!

If instructor is good then the class can be outstanding.

One more thing and this is vital…

A good RSO class must have some actual “scenario practice” and range time under actual conditions.

If it does not have that then just walk away.

I learned a few things in the Basic Course myself. I will add that it also depends on who is teaching it and what type of students are registered in the course. If you are teaching to a group of LEO’s , then the course can also be geared in that direction as long as all the aspects and criteria that the NRA requires is covered. Good luck with your course … You will know most of this, but hey its a heads up and its free … http://www.nrainstructors.org/InstructorAdmin/docs/03FDC7A0528245E880763B6A1A85A82D/NRA%20Basic%20Pistol%20Phase%20II%20Lesson%20Plan.pdf

@Firedog thanks I’ll check it out :+1:t2:

Bottom line is that ALL firearms are safe provided that we ALL remain conscience of our actions. I guess when we become ‘preoccupied’ in our actions is when it leads us to trouble? We ‘learn’ by repeat actions and those actions become an imprint. What happens when one’s mind wanders? Guess that imprint fades? Wrong action happens and ‘safety’ is compromised? Hate the philosophical lessons… Laughing (amused myself)

I apologize, I am all out of likes at the moment…

I take a different view…I fear the gun, assume it is always loaded, always deadly, and I am always a single mistake away from tragedy!

I know it is a bleak view, I am not “a little ray of sunshine” but 40 years of combat, competition, instructing, and being a RSO and I still have no more holes than I was born with!

I am sorry… It is understandable. Anything that can kill or maim should be feared? It is those driving forces that make us better, my belief. Admission should not be considered a weakness, either? It is a ‘stand out’ quality!

@lonewolf just so you know, I would be “liking your posts” if I was not all out for the day!

I agree…we get better at improving our skills by “pushing the envelope” going past our comfort zone until that becomes the new normal.

At the same time I have a healthy respect for firearms, safety, and have seen first hand the tragedy that can occur when that “fear” is lost!

I am an old RSO…every weapon is loaded, every weapon is dangerous, keep your muzzle pointed down range at all times. :+1:

I ‘almost’ became a WITNESS to a horrific experience at my gun range. A ‘family’ man had a break-up with his wife. I suspect he took his frustrations to the range. When I got to the club, it was surrounded by the police. The man turned his weapon and shot himself dead. Imagine the Range Safety Officer and participants thoughts… I still pray about the incident and all the other MASS SHOOTINGS!!! I take firearms to heart. It is a ‘life-style’ choice that one makes and responsible decisions have to be made and also modified when changes occur. A person needs to be responsible and accountable for his/her actions at all times. It ‘sucks’ to have to be reminded? Guess one has to understand that sometimes it becomes necessary for everyone’s safety.

@lonewolf that is about the most extreme example I can think of! Ouch! Wow!

The worst I ever saw was a sheriff dept “shoot house” for training. One of the deputies ignored the ammo restrictions we had in place and shot an instructor (through the wall) in the chest when his round over penetrated.

Both were at fault…I sat on the inquiry board. The instructor should have never been “down range” resetting targets and the deputy should have not been using FMJ ammo! Both got careless, and someone got hurt as a result!

When I coach or RSO I wear a vest, and have my CHL weapon on my side…I am not paranoid, just want to go home to my family when I am done at the range! (I also keep my stop the bleed kit nearby).