M*CARBO Brotherhood

Nitmoi59 Fold latch had to go

All Things SUB-2000! First post from an old AF NCO, ATA missile tech, 59th FIS
Recently purchased my Sub 2K and immediately realized that the fold latch had to go, catches on clothes, interferes with cheek weld, bangs against ear protection. I removed the buffer, pried off the latch and spring then cut off the portion that is above the tube and cleaned it up with a file and sandpaper. Great improvement, comes up fast, along with Mcarbo rear sight and Red lion front sight makes for an easy to find sight picture.

Trying to upload a pic, not easy for an old analog in a digital world.

8 Likes

A little OT but what were the aircraft-du-jour when you served?

Back on topic…if you’re still folding the Sub from time to time for transport or storage, you might find one of these handy: Jandd mountain bike pump tie. My bolt tube cover is a bit thicker than the MCARBO and the latch doesn’t work well as a result. I had a bunch of these from my mountain biking days and repurposed one to keep the bits together when folded…

8 Likes

@ chilipepper, Aircraft back in those days consisted of the F-89H with missiles in wingtip pods, F-101B with rotary weapons bay, F-101A which used a trapeze rail out of the belly bay and the F-106A with the advanced weapons bay, The 59th FIS was based at Goose Bay Labrador, I am sure you can tell by this that I have reached old codger status. Thanks for the tip re bike pump tie, I have been using a strip of Velcro. My sub 2000 is assigned to home defense and kept at DEFCON 2 and only folded when cased for travel to the range. I hope to take care of the trigger job and internals with Mcarbo parts in the near future.
All the best

7 Likes

I knew it! Voodoos and Delta Darts, excellent! I’m guessing the plank winged Scorpion was kind of old when you were there, they were a late 40’s development if memory serves. All cool aircraft. Sorry, I’m a closet plane geek…

No worries, you’re doing fine and in good company here, chief. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s essentially what the Jandd is, a glorified velcro strap save the poly loop and tab of foam inside. Sounds like you’re good to go, she should serve well in that role.

4 Likes

When I rotated back to the ZI in late 64 there was still an F-89J in one of the hangars, I have been a plane geek most of my life as well, my oldest grandson is a 2014 Academy graduate and now flies the C-130J, that is one cool aircraft!

5 Likes

I’m a plane geek too. This is what I normally see from my work chair.
image|666x500

8 Likes

Well, your chosen nick was a bit of a giveaway, if I’m honest… :rofl:

…and you’ve got one of the best office views going, hands down. Every day is something different and even the same locations never look the same way twice. :+1:

4 Likes

@chilipepper

Yeah my handle is a bit of a giveaway :woozy_face:
The view never gets old and I get to appreciate
the beauty of our great country from altitude.
That is on a nice day of course!

5 Likes

True that, I’m guessing some days you don’t see what you’re aiming at until you’ve hit it (in a good way)…at least not out the window, anyway…electronic eyes are a wonderful thing. :+1:

4 Likes

@chilipepper
All true, 600’ visibility is our minimum with the use of the HUD.
We call it PFM- Pure Fricking Magic :wink:

5 Likes

A very cool aircraft, indeed! Incredibly versatile with a rather long history if I’m not mistaken. Good on your grandson as well, his skills and education will no doubt serve him well throughout his life. Pretty cool job to have, too. :+1:

5 Likes

Another old codger asking a question - what is the TRed Lion front sight of which you speak? Tanx!

5 Likes

@mott137 I think this is the site you need to go to. www.redlionprecision.com

5 Likes

@mott137 Welcome aboard

3 Likes

That works! Thank you

2 Likes

@mott37, I see you have already rcvd. replies to your question re Red Lion precision folding front sight, I have been pleased with the quality and ease of installation and just rcvd. a sight post from Blitzkreig components which gives a little better sight picture. Glad to see I am not the only old codger here.

2 Likes