M*CARBO Brotherhood

Night Vision/Thermal Scopes

The ATN can be used without the illuminator if you have a little light from the moon and or stars. That hog hunt was on a very overcast night in woods so the illuminator was needed. Dont get me wrong, the ATN is no PVS-14 but it does work… they claim it’s equal to Gen 2+ NV. If I need to be covert, the thermal is used. No ambiant light or illuminator needed and works at much greater range.

4 Likes

what color spec on the atn? does it have Black /white on thermal?

2 Likes

@GOBLIN, The ATN in NV mode is either B&W or that green tint. In daylight it is HD Color.
The Pulsar Apex thermal is either white hot or black hot but no color on mine.

This is the Thermal I have. Looks like it has been discontinued.

https://www.amazon.com/Pulsar-Apex-XD50A-Thermal-Riflescope/dp/B00P45CJRS

This is the ATN Day/Night scope I have.
Also discontinued.

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-day-night-rifle-scope-3-14x

The ATN Day/Night I just ordered.

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight4k-pro-day-night-rifle-scope-3-14x

Pulsar Thermal on the right, ATN NV/Day scope on left.

5 Likes

I’m with Beezer on this. If ya just find one or a few he’s got dibs but if you find more than several, gimme a holler.

3 Likes

My next NV purchase will be a Thermal Clip On unit. That way I can just swap it from one gun to another without needing to re-zero.
I currently have a Digital NV that a machinist in Texas builds. Resolute Night Vision
It’s a small compact unit with a fixed magnification of 3.5x, but it works very well out to the ranges that I’ll take shots at night - out to around 200 yards. I use a Super Hog Light IR torch on it. I’ve had this little unit for 6-7 years, and it’s let me take a bunch of hog’s and varmint’s with it.

In the daytime, it’s like looking at a colored TV screen, and it’s black and white at night.

6 Likes

I have the ATN 3-14x HD. I dream of adding thermal. @Texprep … I will be curious about the direct comparison to the 4k you have coming.

I do also have ATN’s Binos based on the same tech as my scope.

2 Likes

It would be interesting if some of those feral hogs were trapped and released onto the manicured estates of the gun grabbers LOL.

6 Likes

ROFLMAO thats what i do with damn armadillos lately they fun to shoot, but they damn easy to catch,Lately as the amount has increased ant the price of ammo has increased,
I throw em in a box trap, make my way thru the swamp bout 5 miles up the way, and release em. on the swamp side of the 750K gated community they built up thataway…
Just sharein the love…

7 Likes

that is the only problem i have with thermal. due to the issues i have with color (never ever as me to match or pick a paint color for a house) normal thermal dont give me a clear sight picture i see something slightly lighter moving on something slightly darker if its moving.
NV is easier cause damn near the only color i do see accurate is green. go figure.

the Black and white thermal images are good for me, but they tend to be the higher end scopes…

2 Likes

Just looking a little closer at your pics. Is that scope mount homemade or a factory made? If prefab, who makes it?

2 Likes

@Texprep factory military mount to fit a carry handle… get some closer pics of the QD tomorrow…

2 Likes

Its called the boresight mount on the scope, then the different fitment mounts go to weapon.
for the M16 A1/A2

M14/M21 mounts

use

2 Likes

@GOBLIN, looks pretty solid. Lot better than the angle plate I had on top of the carry handle. It was a piece of s**t that stayed on for one range session then was removed and thrown into the scrap bin at the shop. First carry handle mount I’ve seen like that.
Do you know if they make a QD scope base that would accept standard 30 mm scope rings?

2 Likes

@Texprep you trying to mount a scope to the carry handle or scout style in front of carry handle?

2 Likes

I have found this bit

and this bit

makes the most solid mount for red dot,holo, or scout mount scope.

2 Likes

I have seen where they have used the starlight AR mount, buy the borescope mount thats been removed from a starlight, and mount a picrail to the top of the adjuster plate.
I have seen the same mod done to M21/M14 mounts so they cold flip back and forth tween a leatherwood ART and a starlight for day /night ease of use. that borescope mount is a solid as a rock early QD mount. cam lock.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried the night pal optics night vision scope add on? I have seen them advertised but can’t find a review on them.

2 Likes

Two of my home brew AR’s now sporting ATN Day/Night Scopes. Liked the ATN X-Sight II HD enough to go and buy the X-Sight 4k Pro.

6 Likes

Might be a bit flash for ya, but did you ever consider running those raw lowers under the buffing wheel with a bit of rouge? Bet they’d shine up really nicely…though not exactly discreet or tactical… :grinning:

4 Likes

they do and you can make the billets into a mirror. buffed a set out for a guy as well as a stainless barrel. hard part is the Hand guard inside is a bitch to get shiny… :+1: :smiling_imp:

4 Likes