M*CARBO Brotherhood

NFA Items Pros, Cons & Advice

So I have always wanted to get into the NFA club. But have never done it and need some advice and maybe some people’s experience with there purchases, the process and so fourth.

I am thinking of buying an Octane 45 suppressor and thinking of using silencers shop SID system at a gun shop not to far away. Is trust or individual your filing choice? If trust how or where did you go about setting it up?

1 Like

I bought a Silencerco Spectre II .22 suppressor from my LGS in Dec. 2014. You can either purchase it as an individual or through a trust. People named on the trust all can have access to the listed items without your presence. As an individual you have to be present at all times and NFA items cannot leave your control. I bought my suppressor as an individual because I don’t let people borrow my stuff anyway so didn’t see a need for a trust. I completed my paperwork and mailed my packet and a $200 check to the ATF. In May 2015 I received my stamp and picked up my suppressor. At first it was really cool and I used it all the time. Then it became a huge hassle to take it with me and put it on my pistols and whatnot. My wife could not have access to it so I’d always have to lock it up etc. it got to the point where I just left it locked up and never used it. Then I got the bright idea to make a dedicated suppressed .22 AR pistol. The suppressor stays on that gun and I shoot it a ton now. It’s one of my most heavily used guns now. I have plans to get a 9mm suppressor at some point but that’s it. I kind of don’t see the point of suppressors if they’re not hearing safe and you’re only shooting them at indoor ranges or with ear pro on.

4 Likes

Addendum, a trust used to be beneficial because people could be named on the trust without going through the extraneous background fluff to be listed. Obama changed that and made it so everyone listed on the trust needed a background check, fingerprints, and photo added to trust. However, Obama did remove the CLEO clause which was a backdoor ban if your CLEO refused to sign off on your paperwork. If you have friends and family you want to share your suppressor with or if you’d like to pass your suppressor on to a child upon your death, then the trust is still a viable route. If you’re always going to be present with your suppressor, just go the individual route.

2 Likes

Ton of fun the way I have it now though

4 Likes

Tool Cool Kona ! I Would love to do my 10/22 Magnum with the Volquartsen 25 round mag!:sunglasses: Is that about the Normal Turn around Time for the ATF?
Thanks For the Video.

1 Like

@DivaMarie according to NFAtracker.com, average wait time form 4 individual is 6-8 months. There is a gun range near me that lets you borrow your suppressor to shoot on their range while you wait for paperwork to clear if you buy the suppressor through them or have it transferred through them.

4 Likes

@Kona thank you for the input I have been researching all week and spent some time today watching different videos on YouTube about the subjects and how to and what not to do. Haven’t quite completely made up my mind but going to introduce the idea to the old lady so she can :exploding_head: and get that out of the way lol

2 Likes

@Doitsouthstyle sell it from the perspective that if you ever have a defensive shooting in the house, it will mitigate the damage to everyone’s hearing. :ok_hand:t2:

3 Likes

So I bit the bullet and last Saturday made a purchase through SilencerShop.com. I decided to try their single shot trust with my purchase. Monday I went to one of the SS Kiosk not to far away from me (not one of my LGS) but still close enough. So in my not so near future will be a SiCo Octane 45.

3 Likes

@Doitsouthstyle can you describe the process a little more? I’ve been curious about the kiosk as well.

It’s very self explanatory while going through the steps and a lot can be done before even going to kiosk. But at kiosk you can fill out all personal information needed. And pick individual or trust and fill out. But the main purpose of the kiosk is the finger print scanner that it walks you through very throughly and grade each print from redo, good excellent click the next button and onto next finger position. After that SS has an app that you can take a picture with your phone and submit it. Any more questions I will try to answer them. I will also try to hunt down the YouTube video that really broke the whole process down for me and made me decide to use it.

1 Like

I found it.

6 Likes

@Doitsouthstyle I’m interested for the fingerprint/passport photo the most. That’s one of the most annoying parts. Thanks!

The best part is after they have your finger prints any purchases through there website can submitted without another trip to kiosk and with app you can update photo every when required again with out trip to cvs or post office. Kiosk can also be used for any form 1 or 4.

Your welcome glad to help out.

3 Likes

Does anybody know why waiting on your stamp is taking so damn long? I have a trust, I’m going on 18 months. The last I heard in September mine has been sitting at the FBI for 8 months. Haven’t heard anything on it since. I’m so frustrated, I know several people that have trusts also that got theirs back in less then a year.

from what ive heard back , simply put, Backlog. been waiting almost that long for my second one. when you submitted, had a incident just happened to spike sales?
that seems to slow everything down by about 6 months… I know its hard but patience. it will show up.

Solid info on the process, seems pretty straight forward.

@Kona

That is an ‘easy sale’ for me since the wife thinks that my ‘selective hearing’ is gone! :rofl: I guess I will have to see how aggressive my ‘hobby’ becomes? We both definitely want to move! Besides, Maryland is ‘not’ a gun friendly state, for sure! We both are egging each other into the idea of moving. Besides, our kids are too far to visit…

i thought it was bad here in ireland when it comes to firearm restriction , here you can walk into shop buy a supresser no id or licence but you cant put it on your gun unless your licence says so @Doitsouthstyle