New Sub2k owner and got some questions

Good Afternoon everyone,

Just bought another Kel-Tec. A Glock pattern .40 sub2000. I’ve been wanting one of these for years and finally broke down and bought it. I also about doubled my investment in parts. I just ordered from mcarbo the performance trigger kit, tube cover, cherry lifesaver, recoiless buffer handle, flip top red dot mount, and bench block. I also ordered a rockyourglock performance muzzle brake, and 4-30 round mags. Phew! Boy! Does my wallet hurt!

I’ve been playing around with my s2k while waiting on some range time by practicing reloads. I’ll get better but I was wondering if anyone makes a flared magwell like what the go-fast comp Glocks have. Anyone seen anything like that?

In case you’re wondering, my other KT is an RFB that is far from stock.

11 Likes

@Locke Welcome to the forum Stuart. You can spend a lot of money on the Sub2K but it will end up a much better carbine. Most of the Brothers purchased the new parts as they became available so it didn’t hurt the wallet so much but taking it apart so many times was a pain. Haven’t heard anything about a flared magwell, maybe some of the other Brothers can answer that question.

7 Likes

I was going to space things out but then looking at the plastic pieces made me think that I want to get as much done internally so I don’t have to keep taking it apart and adding all that wear.
I was looking at the magwell and was thinking that it would be possible to make one. I’m just not sure how. I’ll keep studying until I either make or buy one.

6 Likes

I was just lookin through the search function but couldnt find anything. But i swear ive seen where one of the guys around here made a flared magwell for there sub2k. Maybe it was machined or 3d printed but i know i seen it somewhere. Maybe some of the machinist and 3d printer guys will chime in soon enough. Ive seen magwell done just dont remember if it was here or somewhere on the deep interwebs.

8 Likes

That gives me hope! I don’t have access to a 3D printer or mill. But I have a good file set and time.

6 Likes

@Locke Welcome to the forum Stuart.

5 Likes

@Locke
Hello and welcome to the brotherhood.
Hoosier by birth.
Buckeye by choice.

5 Likes

I’m new too, just got the CQB out of jail
Looking forward to the answer to this question…
So far the only downside I see is the loose barrel lockup…
Hopefully when I change the trigger guard to the aluminum one in the all in one kit it will tighten up

3 Likes

I bought the M-Series and added the “operator” package. Lots of money but got it with all the upgrades and add-ons. I knew where I would end up so it was cheaper and much easier to do it all at once. It’s one of those guns I knew going into it I would never get my money back if I sold it, but I didn’t anticipate the rate of inflation! I don’t regret the purchase. I have a PSA 8" 9mm AR braced pistol and I like the Sub 2000 better except the AR style is easier for me to clean.

7 Likes

I plan on doing a lot of polishing to the internals. Any areas I should pay particular attention to? Or anything that would improve with some mild reprofiling?

5 Likes

Search for a detailed discussion by @Turmeric.

5 Likes

You might start here. The MCarbo vids are good also.

Polishing Trigger Parts (Hammer, Sear, Trigger Bar) - SUB-2000 - M*CARBO Brotherhood (mcarbo.com)

6 Likes

I completely understand, but I’ll do ya one better, I also got 2nd’s on all usable parts…just in case. Talk about bending a card, almost broke it !!

2 Likes

Well I installed the first of my mods. Magpul angled foregrip, recoiless charging handle, cherry lifesaver, mcarbo latch release, QD sling mount up front, sling, muzzle brake. I plan on doing the performance kit this weekend.

That tool-less locking pin was a PITA. I used the included Allen key to hold the spring but I never could get it compressed enough. Then it dawned on me. I could screw the spring down the key. That worked and I was able to easily change the pin.

Still waiting on some more parts that should be here tomorrow. Then I can get started on it.

5 Likes

Parts came in. Install the performance trigger kit, polished feed ramp, and flip top optic mount. I spent the better part of the day polishing everything that moves. Kinda shiny inside it now. Huge improvement over factory. But the aluminum trigger guard makes breaking it open a bit more difficult. Everything else fits and functions perfectly.
Is that normal for the trigger guard?

3 Likes

@Locke Mine is like that but it locks up tight. It will probably wear in if you use that feature a lot.

5 Likes

All three of mine are tight also. Just make sure it’s closed all the way before firing.

5 Likes

Thanks for that. Makes me feel better about it.

3 Likes

not the only new to the forum. Just sent my sub200 in for upgrades, anxious to get it back already

4 Likes

Here’s a question I can’t seem to find an answer to.

The charging handle locks back to the right side of the rifle. Is there a reason for that? Looks to me that I could mirror the notch on the other side.
By doing this I would have both the charging handle and mcarbo folding scope mount on the same side when folded and stored.
I’m still looking at and examining the rifle for ways to either improve or catastrophically screw it up.

3 Likes