M*CARBO Brotherhood

New SUB2000 Buttstock Pad

Just ordered mine and the tube cover. Now I have all of the MCarbo upgrades available.
Next will be the optic mount and hopefully someday an upgraded flip front sight.

1 Like

@ChrisNelson Chris you may want to add to the product description that it only works with the longest stock adjustment.

3 Likes

Ordered! Yay! Gift cert didn’t work though.

3 Likes

Looks like a great part Chris. I run middle position but may have to try the longest to see if I like it. If not, I’d be interested in a V2 designed for medium LOP.

Alternatively, you posted a clamshell mag holder/stock design in February that was very interesting. Convenient on gun mag storage is still one of my remaining desires for the Sub, and that design would also solve the stock issue, especially if it could incorporate a thin rubber layer.

I’d honestly be interested in that much more than just a pad.

3 Likes

Ordered… I have been waiting for this…thanks

1 Like

let me ask a off tha curb question… can I fit it to the gen 1 sub2000. butt stock is a lil bit different…

1 Like

I love this concept. My humble suggestion would be to make a thinner pad, or different thickness pads with the same bolt pattern to make them interchangeable. We DO need that cut out in the back tho. Those two simple things and I’m in 100%. Hell, I’m probably in anyway due to the fact I hate the factory stock as is. But nice job @ChrisNelson. Keep the good stuff coming.

4 Likes

If you look real closely @19:56 to where Chris’s thumb is you can see the top of the hole on the buffer and looks as if you can still use the shortest setting.

2 Likes

Varied Thickness with different levels of absorption from firm to soft…

2 Likes

This is a thing that exists, yes.

1 Like

After watching the installation video, it appears that the bolt holes are too narrow since the drill bit marred the webbing on the buttstock. May need to move the holes out a bit to clear…

4 Likes

@Ep7360 easy fix Eric, add a drill depth stop to your drill bit, ensures no punch thru and tilt, you slightly clear the hole with the kerf of the drill bit. Lowes, 7$ and change…
Drill Depth Stop, Kobalt Tools

9 Likes

Oh yes!!! Of course I did buy one of the older version ones (even found ‘em even cheaper than normal) a little while back and it’s still holding up rather well but trust me-this one will be added to my ‘wish list’ right now! That list keeps gettin’ longer and once I get caught back up replacing what all the thieving crackheads stole-I’ll be sending in a rather substantial order!

2 Likes

I like the idea of the pad, to increase the length of pull, and make it fit my shoulder pocket better (recoil in 9MM isn’t really a concern). However, I wish is didn’t require lining up and drilling. I’d rather see a whole buttstock replacement unit with the over-molding already on it - that might also allow it to have the clearance needed for the folks who like the shorter LOP adjustments.

9 Likes

I like it, but not a fan of drilling into the stock. Purely because I don’t like scuffs shown, nor do I want to buy a replacement.

Is there going to be a progression of this? I only run it at the long LOP, so no real request for a sight cut from me. If there was a cheap guide, sort of like those ones for doing 80% lowers… I’d order it right now. Hell, I might order it now.

Only issue is that it will sit at home until I start making the move up to Maine. Whenever the optics mount comes out, I might let other members try it out first, because I’ll be in training… and it will just sit until end of August.

3 Likes

I kinda feel the same about not wanting to drill the stock, but replacements are fairly cheap.
This pad actually is the guide for drilling the holes. So no jig would be necessary.

3 Likes

After watching the as-usual excellent installation video, I noted the one thing that always seems to bite me when doing pattern drilling - the possibility that I didn’t get my scratch awl PRECISELY centered in the template opening.

Yeah, I’m that guy always having to wallow out the holes to get the darn widget/doo-dad/gizmo to fit, and then…well…it just never fits on quite “perfect” when you do that.

Solution: An inexpensive scratch punch resembling a hypodermic needle: the larger diameter part fitting in the template hole, and a centered scratch pin protruding from the bottom. Insert it, one sharp rap with a tack hammer, and your punch mark is guaranteed dead center.

I would think that an inexpensive one-time-use throw away item such as this could be included in the kit for a minimal increase in price…? Kind of like the dowel in the trigger spring installation kit?

Or not. Whatever. Not having that won’t stop me from trying it anyway.

Hmmm…reckon I’ll order it along with my optics mount…

(Insert smiley face here)

Thanks,

Craig

5 Likes

Great product, I’m going to have to re-measure my cases though. Also, Chris, the locknuts could be better, consider some type of black threaded nut insert. Similar to these. More finished look.

4 Likes

My .02 worth, a couple of zip-ties could be used to hold the Buttstock Pad in place while making the centering marks and then centering holes.

3 Likes

I don’t really get to play but it looks like a good solution. In the absence of a jig or without a template, I would use blue painters tape to locate the pad to get it marked and drilled.

I’m offering this up for folks concerned about getting their holes aligned perfectly. Chris holds the pad in place to mark the holes using his talent. I have to substitute ingenuity for talent, so I would hold the buttpad in perfect alignment while capturing it by adding several wraps of tape around the edge so that the pad is fixed securely. Rather than starting with a 1/8 pilot I’d open up the number sized bits and pick the closest fit to the mounting holes on the pad. I would drill two on a diagonal, then temporarily fix the pad to the stock using 2 bolts to secure the pad to drill remaining pilots. Next take it apart, drill the pilots out to 1/4 and bolt it up.

8 Likes