M*CARBO Brotherhood

New Sub 2K Owner

All Things SUB-2000!
I hear varying suggestions on the perfect ammo for range and for defense what would any of you recommend? As a reference I am new to gun ownership as a whole. I’d like to be able to use the same ammo between my EDC “Ruger LC9s” any suggestions would be great

10 Likes

I use Winchester white box or federal black box at the range and for EDC I use either Hornady critical duty or Winchester ranger. I would recommend Hornady critical duty in the S2K though for home defense.

8 Likes

The Winchester is that 115 G? Metal jacket? Is it true that Kel Tec recommends the brass as opposed to metal?

4 Likes

I use Hornady Critical Duty in all my fire arms for self defense. For the shooting range Federal ammo.

8 Likes

@Johnny2k Welcome to the Brotherhood.

You can use the same ammo for the range and EDC , but keep in mind that the ammo most people use for personnel defense tends to be more expensive . I use Blazer Brass 115 gr for practice and Hornady 115 gr critical defense for EDC in my LC9s Pro. I find that the S2K will run just about any ammo I feed it.

9 Likes

Yeah Winchester white box is standard 115 grain ball ammo. Brass case. Most manufacturers don’t recommend running steel or aluminum case. I only run brass because I reload and so I can reuse it.

6 Likes

Essentially what this guy said. :slightly_smiling_face:

I run a mix of 115 gr and 124 gr Blazer Brass (usually the 115 unless there’s a deal on the 124) and use both the Critical Defense and Critical Duty for home defense in my PCCs, no issues of any kind. No EDC here as I work from home…though I suppose that makes all my guns EDC, eh? I don’t shoot anything but brass cased in any of my firearms.

7 Likes

I use any cheap 9mm FMJ 115 gr. brass to punch holes in paper that’s available, for defense I use Hornaday 115 gr critical defense. The same thing applies to my Ruger LC9S. Just remember Most FMJ bullets over penetrate but they will kill. Welcome to the Brotherhood ! ! !

8 Likes

Take a look at this site it may help you. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

7 Likes

Wow I literally watched that same link shortly after posting and then you posted definitely good info to learn from thanks brother!!

5 Likes

Welcome to the brotherhood of patriot’s. Choosing the right tools for something you’ll never want to use, is a important …because you and your love ones lives may depend on that choose. Like so many have mentioned, I’ve found that Hornaday 115 gr critical defense works well with with both Lc9 and Sub2K. All types ( store & reload) ammo brass/steel has been through both for target…and no FTF or issues. Always Carry!

9 Likes

Thanks Mike ! Seeing the current state of things I was driven to take up my rights !!!

5 Likes

What ever brands of ammo you decide to use, try to select range ammo that is of the same bullet weight as your self defense ammo. That will help insure that you have the same point of impact and pretty much the same recoil during practice as you would in real world self defense.

6 Likes

That’s typically where I buy my bulk ammo from, Lucky Gunner frequently has good deals on the 9mm Blazer Brass as well as the PMC Bronze .223 I use in the AR. They ship pretty quickly as well.

Interesting to see how many are using the Hornady defensive rounds. These seem like the best all around defensive option with the attributes of a hollow point projectile but without the potential legal issues (depending on who you are and where you’re from).

6 Likes

Welcome! My s2k eats any brass case ammo. I have had no issues. I run Hornady Critical Duty in my weapons with a barrel length over 4”, and Critical Defense in subcompact weapons. Reason is the Duty rounds are +P ammo.

7 Likes

I use Hornady XTP and Speer Gold Dot both 115 and 124 grain that I load myself for defensive ammo. For practice I use mostly Selliot & Belliot in the same weight. WWB and Remington is ok for practice but its dirty ammo. I only use brass case ammo in any of my firearms with the exception of my SKS. I will also use steel case in it.

6 Likes

@Johnny2kwelcome to the forum john

5 Likes

@MSGMedicMikewelcome to the forum mike

4 Likes