M*CARBO Brotherhood

New scope on Mini-14

Hey All,
Looking for some input on mounting a different scope on my Ruger Mini-14.
I am taking a Leopoldo Mark II 3 X 9 off to put on my Remington 271.
Want something 3 to 5 power range with a red dot?
I have never used a red dot scope and am not sure this will be a good fit.
Attached is a link of a Sig scope as a example of the look I am try to achieve.
I have a budget around 350/400$.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-bravo5-5x30mm-prismatic-battle-red-dot-sight.html

7 Likes

check out the Burris AR series 332 prism scopes as weil. think they still doing the free fastfire with em 2 for 1. bout the same price range as the SIG

burris%20ar%20536

6 Likes

main thing i look at on these type of scope is a etched recticle, so even if the batt goes dead, i still have a sight to use (black is the etched color) some are not etched.

8 Likes

@GOBLIN,
Thanks Buck for the input
Contacted Burris and no luck on the two for one. That would of been a no brainer :crazy_face:
When looking through the red dot scope the front sight on the barrel will line up?

4 Likes

thats on a 300Blackout flat top, and it lines up should be the same on a mini 14…

4 Likes

Vortex makes etched 3x optics that should be pretty good. Presumably will cowitness

5 Likes

@chilipepper
Thanks for the input
Appreciated it.
I have looked at the Vortex. Good price
Wondering if this can be mounted so iron sights can be used?
https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-crossfire-2-moa-red-dot.html

4 Likes

You probably meant @GOBLIN and/or @TheThreeLaws :wink:

Regardless, Burris seems to be popular and has a good rep, shame that deal isn’t current. I can concur with @TheThreeLaws on Vortex as well, I’ve been very pleased with their scopes and binoculars.

5 Likes

that is similer shape and height to the True glow Triton I have it should come with 2 spacers, and yes, it should cowitness ( only dot i found to ever cowitness perfect on the Sub 2000 Gen one with Red Lion with no fiddleing)

6 Likes

The Crossfire is I think one of their cheaper, non magnified red dots.

If you want magnification, either a variable 1-4 like a Steiner P4xi or the Vortex or Burris fixed magnification optics would likely serve you well and will most likely mount at 1/3 or absolute cowitness. Reviews will likely clarify which

6 Likes

@chilipepper,
My bad , I did mean @TheThreeLaws.
Or it could be that it was a sneaky way to pull you into this thread✌️
Thanks for your input.

4 Likes

Prism roof optics set kind of high on conventional rifles. Red dot look for one with removable base like a Sig Romeo5 get you down same height as a scope on low rings.

Lots of good 1-4, 1-6 power scopes out there but their going to cost more then the Leupold. Vortex strike eagle might be cool. Primary Arms has similar offerings.

6 Likes

I’ve currently got a Strike Eagle 1-6x24 on my AR, nice bit of kit, great quality. :+1:t3:

5 Likes

Hello, Chili
Doesn’t the Strike Eagle have the drop built into the reticle for typical 5.56 ballistics? How do you like it?
I have stuck with Millrad reticles due to non 5.56 calibers, but thinking about trying one on my next 5.56.

6 Likes

It does, indeed. It has what they refer to as an AR-BDC reticle that is designed to work with .223/5.56 as well as .308/7.62 loads. It has 11 levels of center illumination but the reticle is etched so still usable if the battery dies (holds spare battery in windage cap). It’s second focal plane, but I prefer that mainly because the only scopes I’ve ever used have been. I haven’t messed with BDC too much yet but it seems to work, only used it at the range once since purchase so still some playing to do. The overall fit and finish of the scope is really quite good, crisp optics, nice solid turret clicks, comes with flip up lens covers as well. Here’s a picture of the reticle and a link to the 3 page reticle manual:

ret_strike-eagle_ar-bdc_moa-t

…and a pic installed on black beauty…

5 Likes

Nice shooter. Post back after you get some more range time.

5 Likes

@Albroswift Thanks, it’s a fun shooter and as my first AR, I’ve quickly grown to appreciate the simplicity of Stoner’s design for upgrades and cleaning. Will do on a better range report. I’ve had the firearm to the range a number of times, though just the once since I mounted the Strike Eagle. It was pretty packed that day and I had chosen a bench more in line with the 100-200-300 berms, the 50 was off to the right too far and I would have been shooting cross range, which most facilities as well as patrons tend to frown upon (for good reason, mind you :wink:).

According to the guide, the reticle is designed to be zeroed at 50, then the compensator marks and range estimation should be spot on. I zeroed at 100, which worked pretty well out to 200 (aiming just bottom of center horizontal). When I went for the steel plates at 300 I guesstimated and went to the next line down, she was making the correct ringing noise on impact but I couldn’t say how accurate beyond that. Next time out I’ll zero at 50 and then set multiple targets out to 300 to test the accuracy better.

5 Likes

@Captainjack88, So, what did you decide???

2 Likes

@Festus, Rick,
Haven’t made a decision just yet.
I won’t until the Gun comes back from Ruger.
Got a email from Ruger they received the gun on 8/5, on 8/16 another email stating “firearm has been transferred to a technician for evaluation.”
I stripped the rifle before sending, when it comes back I will put it back into the Hogue stock, install the Accu-strut, flash suppressor and test it. If all is good then I will pull the trigger on a scope.
I am favoring @chilipepper, Dave’s suggestion, the Strike Eagle 1-6x24.
I put the Leopoldo Mark ll 3 X 9 on the 1957 Remington 721 and sighted it in last week while here in Reno. Friends of mine near Virginia City have BLM land next to their 5 acres.
Tomorrow we are shooting clay pigeons after work. I bought the Mossberg 930.

4 Likes

@Captainjack88

You cannot go wrong with those Mossberg shotguns… I had purchased a Maverick 88 for my ‘bedroom watch-dog…’ :+1:

4 Likes