M*CARBO Brotherhood

New Jersey and Hollow Point ammunition

There was a post recently (though I can’t find it now) regarding possession of Hollow Point ammunition in New Jersey, indicating that it was illegal to possess.

My “go to” source of firearms law is Handgunlaw.us. When you go to that site (Use Chrome as a browser to get there) you are presented with a map of the U.S. Click on the state you are interested in, and a new window will open with a long report regarding the handgun laws for that state. (For example, the report for MD is 15 pages long.) These reports are refreshed, usually monthly, to reflect changes in the law.

Regarding the possession of hollow-point ammo in New Jersey, here is an excerpt from the NJ report:

From the New Jersey State Police FAQs
13. Question: I’m not a police officer, are hollow points legal for me to possess?

Answer: Yes. They are legal for purchase and possess in your home or on land owned by you. They are legal to possess and use at a gun range. They are also legal to possess while traveling to and from such places. Ammunition lacking a hollow cavity at the tip, such as those with a polymer filling, are not considered to be hollow point ammunition. An example of this can be seen with the Hornady Critical Defense / Critical Duty, Cor-Bon PowRball / Glaser Safety Slug and Nosler Inc. Defense ammunition.

This is not to say that some local cop or NJ State Trooper won’t know the law and arrest you anyway, but it would seem that the hollow-point possession thing might just be an urban myth, or maybe it was that way some time ago.

8 Likes

I lived in NY until not too long ago and seem to recall NJ not liking HP ammo.

5 Likes

As I indicated, there is myth, rumor, and (as Mark Twain said), “things that you know for certain that just ain’t true.” The excerpt I provided quoted the NJ Police FAQ, so I believe it’s credible and I trust the information provided by HandgunLaw.US – I have never known them to be inaccurate.

4 Likes

I wish I knew this earlier … I moved from NY to SC in March and was sweating the ride through NJ with all of the HP ammo that I had in my car!

5 Likes

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/new-jersey-gun-laws-what-you-need-to-know/ ----------READ THIS & believe what you choose, choose wrong & go directly to jail. There’s no “get out of jail” card in this game.

6 Likes

Yep. I read it and it’s a great example of why it’s so hard for the average firearms owner to know the laws in his state, locality or other states in which he may be traveling. Both sites referenced in this thread are credible sources but they seem to say different things. One interesting note in the Handgunlaw.us quote is the very specific definition of hollowpoint ammo with polymer inserts not being considered “hollowpoints,” even mentioning specific brands – but this isn’t mentioned in the USCCA article.

The excerpt I quoted from HandgunLaw was included by them directly from the official NJ State Police FAQ at https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml.

In light of conflicting sources, who you believe is up to you.

5 Likes

Dirt, I read the NJ info a few times and what it says to me is that you cannot use it for concealed carry. It made exceptions for club members at matches, hunting, and target shooting. What else is there besides concealed carry?

4 Likes

I pro.ise you do not want to be caught hauling hollow points in NJ. The answer you cited is incorrect. I’d report that response - it is wrong and irresponsible.

I visited a friend in NY last year. My friend is a NYC Police Officer. In discussion with him, we were unable solve the issue of crossing NJ. So, I flew and he scooped me at the airport.

4 Likes

The answers I cited came directly from the New Jersey State Police website. Believe what you will.

4 Likes

That’s the best way to see NJ & maryland from 11,000 ft out the oval airplane window.

7 Likes

NJ is “fly-over country” for certain.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t use HP against criminals off my property, I think it’s illegal under ANY circumstances.

3 Likes

My shadow will never be beyond NC so I really could care less. Preach what you will but try to preach all the FACTS. People might rely on you & they will be the one sitting in front of the Judge Not you .

4 Likes

I have fond memories of many visits to NC … Had often considered it as a retirement place, but all of the family is “up here”.

6 Likes

It is critical to understand the wording and structure of the applicable statutes in evaluating this or similar questions. The short answer is that hollow point ammunition is illegal in New Jersey except in certain circumstances. The governing law is set forth in the New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice and the relevant statute provides in pertinent part:

2C:39-3 - Prohibited weapons and devices

f. Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet…is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

The statute does not state that hollow point ammunition is permitted or legal, but instead makes it illegal except in certain enumerated circumstances. In other words, such ammunition is illegal unless the person in possession of it fits into one of the statutorily enumerated exceptions. For civilians, the first exception appears in subpart (g)(2)(a) of the same statute which provides:

(2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land….

The statutory prohibition also does not apply to “persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S. 2C:39-6.” Those activities are:

(1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying firearms necessary for target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(2) A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

So hunting and target practice may be exempt provided all of the criteria above are met; i.e. shooting at a properly chartered range or hunting/target practice with a valid hunting license. The same subsection exempts travel directly to or from the designated activities provided the firearm and ammunition are transported as required by law. A stop at the convenience store on the way home could get you busted.

So unless your circumstances fit within those limited exceptions, the use and possession of hollow point ammunition is illegal. Hollow point ammunition is not specifically defined in the statutes but the New Jersey State Police currently do not consider polymer filled ammunition to be hollow point ammunition prohibited by the statute. I would NOT rely upon that interpretation. That “guidance” was issued only after a security guard was charged with illegal possession of hollow point ammunition while carrying Hornady Critical Duty polymer filled ammunition. The interpretation could change and may not be respected by local law enforcement authorities. See the link below.

6 Likes

Yet another reason to love living down south in TN…

4 Likes