M*CARBO Brotherhood

New here and Trigger Fire Issue

Posted a short video on YouTube.
Sub 2000 Trigger, Hammer Issue.
By workharddieproud
I just tried pushing it back on but I can’t get in behind it. In the video you can see the bar popping up. Theres a gap between the bottom of the sear and the spring. I just noticed and can barely tell but it looks like the back part of the spring is bent.

It looks like the sear spring isn’t all the way on the sear. Also, it looks like the end of a spring is between the shell halves. THAT could be why the sear spring isn’t down all the way and why the trigger bar slipped off - the shell is far enough apart to allow it. Can you see a gap in the shell halves in back?

Seeing the sear this way makes me think there may be wear caused by misalignments and components not being where they should. It probably came from Keltec this way and as you shot it, things wore in ways they shouldn’t have until it finally stopped working. Whether they install the MCARBO parts or not, they gotta fix this. If it were my gun I’d insist they replace the shell halves at a minimum - you can’t know if unusual wear will cause malfunctions in the future.

2 Likes

Sorry but I don’t know what you mean by shell halves ??

1 Like

@workharddieproud It’s the left and right plastic grips.

2 Likes

I kinda figured but wasn’t for sure. Actually last night I did notice they are gapped at both ends.

2 Likes

3 Likes

That gap ain’t right. It is simply more evidence confirming assembly problem 'causing your woes.

5 Likes

I didn’t figure it was right and certainly didn’t like how it looked but sure didn’t think it might cause any problems. I hope Kel Tec responds back early today so I can get it sent back to them ASAP. I’m going to also email them these gapped pics.

3 Likes

Well Kel Tec got me a prepaid Fedex shipping label today. I got shipped out. I did ask about them installing all my Mcarbo parts but never got a clear response. And my other order from Mcarbo is late, so I’m just going to install it all myself soon as I get my gun back.

3 Likes

Just an update. Kel Tec got my gun today and created a work order for it. I went ahead and purchased the rest of the Mcarbo upgrades. May have well finished it out and hopefully no more issue and only take it apart one time after I get it back. Now with everything I purchased for this gun, makes it cost me about 1200.00, NO joke !!

3 Likes

I know how you feel, brother. I paid around $450 for mine new, then spent another $350 to bring it up to snuff. Don’t get me wrong, I love the gun but I could - and did - get a lot more gun with a lot better quality elsewhere for a lot less money. I’ve ranted enough about Keltec before on this forum so I’ll stop here.

4 Likes

I finally get my Sub 2000 back this coming Friday on 09-04-2020. My plan is to take it to an indoor range to test it out before taking it apart to install all Mcarbo upgrades.

2 Likes

Got my Sub 2000 today, took it to the range and shot about 100 rounds or a little more through it. Everything went good, no issues !!!
The repair ticket that Kel Tec sent, said “Replaced Sear Axis” Anyway, let the modifications begin ! Oh, and NO gaps in the grip.

4 Likes

did you test ot using the new september target ? :wink:

2 Likes

When you tear it down to install the upgrades you should minutely inspect the shell halves for unusual wear, especially around the sear. Glad you’ve got a functional S2k now. By the time you get done you’ll have probably learned more about this firearm than any other you’ve ever owned. :smile:

3 Likes

I did not notice anything unusual but this is my FIRST gun I’ve ever taken apart. As stated in my early post only own one other gun, a Springfield XDS 3.3 9mm which has worked flawlessly for almost 5 years now. Anyway, I just now got all my mods done and this was not a fun process, took me hours. Certainly had more trouble than expected. First, fours screws were in so tight the heads rounded out, I tried everything I could think of to get them out. Luckily I had a screw extractor kit Grabit Pro. That worked great. The rear taller sight was really tight getting it to slide in and move freely, I had to grind down both sides of the Mcarbo rear sight. And I had an awful time with the new tool less locking pin for the recoil spring. I attached a few pics. I’m VERY glad it’s all done, I love the new look of it. THANK YOU phuzzy42 and everybody else on here that replied and helped me out !!

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

There are a few potential “gotchas” in that one too, but those are good well-made firearms. I have 9mm and .45ACP XD subcompacts and they’ve served well.

That’s a known problem with the aluminum pins, one of the reasons MCARBO makes the steel ones. I never got the taller rear sight, the muzzle brake, or the recoilless charging handle - never saw the need and don’t want to put any more money in upgrades.

Maybe, but look at it this way - if something goes wrong, you’ll know how to fix it. :grin: I think I enjoy working on, fixing, even cleaning my firearms as much as I enjoy shooting them.

5 Likes