M*CARBO Brotherhood

New here and Trigger Fire Issue

I also posted this on the Kel Tec forum. I purchased a brand new Sub 2000 last week.
Today was my first chance at trying it out. It’s Factory Stock. I was having fun up until and 40 rounds in, it stopped firing. After numerous tries and messing with it, I figured out, for some reason now I had to pull the trigger TWICE to get it to shoot. This is VERY disappointing to me. I paid 550.00 for it and then purchased about 95 percent of ALL MCARBOS upgrades, “ still waiting on my 3 orders” to come in the mail. They are shipped though. Anyway, plus extra stuff I purchased for this gun, drove about 25 miles to an indoor range, paid for an hour of time and only got to use about 20min of that. Anybody have any idea what it might be ?? Or I’m going to have to already send it in for warranty work. I’ve already sent Kel Tec a issue ticket on it. SORRY FOR THE LONG POST. I was really excited about this rifle and getting all the upgrades next week.

2 Likes

I know that the polymer grip halves can interfere with the trigger bar to create a similar problem. I absolutely advise you to have KT fix it under warranty before you start mixing in aftermarket parts. To figure out if and where the trigger bar is rubbing you’d have to open it far enough to install the whole kit. IMO better to let Kel Tec get their piece right before upgrading.

5 Likes

I concur with @Dred. Keltec needs to make it right before you go any further. Cheer up, though - you got a taste of how much fun these guns are to shoot, and you’ve come to the right place to pick the brains of people with a ton of experience. Once your Sub2K is running like it should, you’ll love it, especially after you install the MCARBO parts.

4 Likes

Alright guys, I really appreciate your input.
I’ll wait on a response from Kel Tec. Just hate having to get a brand new gun fixed. I also have a Springfield XDS 9mm that I’ve had for 4 years and zero issues. Oh well. Thanks again !!

6 Likes

If you bought your gun from your Local Gun Store (LGS), sometimes they can get expedite repairs from companies, and it’ll be a lot less hassle for you. I had an issue with my PMR-30 and my LGS sent it in to Keltec instead of me. I got it back in about a week BUT, of course, that was before the plandemic.

4 Likes

That would be an option. The store I purchased it from is about 45 miles from me and REALLY hate that gun store. I’ll wait and see what Kel Tec has to say and go from there. Thanks again !!

3 Likes

I would crack it open and make sure the springs are correctly installed first. The sear, hammer and trigger springs are installed correctly and were not pinched or binding when you tightened the clam shell cover back together. I know before I buttoned everything up I had to do it three times because something was binding my own fault not with positioning them. Since I did all the mcarbo upgrades correctly finally, I have shot well over 1,000 rds and not a single issue.

That would be logical if I had opened it up before. But I haven’t even gotten my MCARBO orders yet. I shot the Sub 2000 in it’s factory state. I haven’t done anything to it yet. It’s bone stock.

5 Likes

Did you put all the internal Mcarbo upgrades in yourself or have it done ?? I’ve seen all the video’s and it don’t look too bad. Tedious, I’m sure.

Yes I did, it was not hard just have to watch the springs and binding, test everything before final loctite step. It was easy and fun to do, once finished I made sure I let everything setup for 72 hrs, that was the hardest thing just to look at It and not play with it. I have all the upgrades minus the optic mount. I think the mount is just to fat to keep it slim and compact, I also added a new front sight metal insert not a mcarbo part. The front sight has a plastic insert. Also added a QD mount on the Right rear stock portion and one on the Left side of the hand guard, Magpul AFG 2, and a rail small rail section all the way forward toward the muzzle on the left side of hand guard for a light. No issues yet.

Thank you for your input. I went ahead and placed another order. Guess I purchased now about 98 percent of what they had for the 2000. I even got the optic mount. I messed around with my gun last night and now the trigger just clicks, won’t even fire on the second pull.

Sounds like 1or 3 springs not installed correctly, either trigger, sear & hammer might not be installed correctly. I would re-watch the install videos again, it’s been awhile one of them has to be put on a certain way or it won’t work, and another to make sure it’s not binding when you put the two halves together. The videos are a lifesaver.

I would say thats correct, something obviously isn’t installed right or broke. But it was done that way from the factory. Like I said, it’s stock and I’ve never opened it up. I can look up in the magazine well and see the trigger bar moving as I pull the trigger but it like “pops up” a little like out of place and makes a click sound. Like the hammer end of the trigger bar is not staying attached. Still waiting on a Reply From Kel Tec.

2 Likes

I suggest loosening this screw just a little, maybe a quarter turn

1 Like

Thank you for your reply and suggestion.
I just tried it, one side and both sides.
Didn’t work though. Kel Tec finally got back with me late today about the issue. Guess I’m
gonna have to send it to them for repair. Waiting on them to get a Fedx prepaid label. I’d rather of tried to fix it myself, since I’m
gonna install all Mcarbo upgrades. The trigger issue might be something simple or something actually broke. Nothing loose or rattling inside though.

1 Like

If you are going to send your Sub to Kel Tec, might as well include your MCarbo parts in the box as well and pay Kel Tec to install the MCarbo parts. One less PIA.

4 Likes

I was thinking about asking them if they could do that. Me not being a trusting person though, I would wonder IF I sent them all my Mcarbo stuff, I would I know IF they actually installed that stuff ??
I don’t know much about guns but it looks like the tail end of the trigger bar is not catching / pulling the sear to release the hammer. Does that makes sense ??

1 Like

The trigger bar catches the sear where the arrow is pointing and pulls it forward so it lets the hammer fall. The screw I said to loosen is right above the pivot of the trigger and trigger bar. Chris Nelson did a video where loosening that screw fixed the binding problem people were having.

This pic shows the correct positions of all the internals.

2 Likes

So by looking up in the mag well, that would be correct. The trigger bar is not catching / pulling the sear forward for some reason.
I did send Kel Tec an email about them possibly installing all the Mcarbo upgrades.
Still wish this issue wouldn’t have happened.
I might ask them about me trying to take it apart myself first without me sending it in ?? I don’t just know at this point. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR’s and EVERYBODY’S input and help !!

2 Likes

Can you reach up through the mag well with a thin screwdriver and pop the trigger bar back over the sear? is the screw just to the rear of the sear tight? There shouldn’t be enough room for the trigger bar to come off the sear unless something’s loose or a pivot hole got reamed out and it’s letting something shift around.

1 Like