M*CARBO Brotherhood

New gun cabinet on the way!

On our morning walk the wife came out of the blue and suggested we get another gun cabinet. Well, I was nearly speechless but recovered quickly and agreed. I wonder if she wants a new rifle???

13 Likes

could be brother. I gotta get another add on for mine, bolt it outside the locker for knives. might even look into one of those wives thang-a-majigs, a lot of people talk about em, once girlchild goes off to college maybe.:smiling_imp:

7 Likes

maybe a baby on the way :pray::rofl: you know yourself the bigger the family the bigger th gun cabinets its a rule of nature :smiley: @Festus

6 Likes

Fingers crossed, might be getting that M-40 after all!

6 Likes

Hey @Festus,
Correct me if I’m wrong… you are talking about having another baby?

The USMC M-40.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M40_rifle

I have a 1957 Remington 721, in .270 that I want to turn into this gun.
Bed the receiver, float the barrel, trigger job and Mount a nice scope.

We both are going to need another safe😃

5 Likes

I’ve had my eyes on this for some time. M-40 Always thought it’d be a hard sell with the wife, but my hopes have been lifted. Been leaving subtle hints for a couple years, like leaving magazines open to this rifle, pointing it out while watching movies…

The 721 would make a fine “custom” M 40. :+1:

5 Likes

you will love it, my old 700BDL is built to M40 spec, with couple of “enhancements” I will get some pics. the caliber that was used though instead of 308 was 6mm remington…

5 Likes

@GOBLIN
Hey Buck
Post some photos please (when ya got some time)
Love to check it out.
Have been watching YouTube vids on “bedding & floating “
Any input much appreciated.

5 Likes

@Captainjack88

Anthony,

(AIG) American Gunsmithing Institute has some outstanding DVD’s on bedding and floating barrels. I had taken their Practical Gunsmithing Course with the hopes and dreams of building my own guns! The skills that I have learned are invaluable to me and even some ‘tidbits’ of information that I have passed on among some of our brothers have definitely helped out with their own builds. If you have a genuine interest, I am sure it will be worthwhile to check out their website. All the best and happy shooting, brother!

9 Likes

@lonewolf
SUPER!
Thanks !
I’m on the way.

6 Likes

@Captainjack88

Right on, Anthony! I have just built (3) Custom 22’s. They are awesome! My next adventure is a 17 HM2. JWH Customs has just introduced a ‘Competition Bolt’ that has the ‘very same’ design as Volquartsen (a round balanced firing pin,) however with a $125 cost/including shipping charge! All I have to do is get a barrel and heavy coil and spring assembly by Magnum Research and I will be averaging 175 yards at around 2100 FPS all day long! How exciting will that be for ‘our’ new varmit ‘toy???’ Big smiles! BTW, I will be using a Boyds ‘red’ thumbstock and top it with a BSA Sweet 17 scope for $80.

8 Likes

@Festus HERES my lil ugly baby, she shows some wear and tear, as my aunt , after my uncle died, left it hanging in a rack facing the morning sun. stock is lighter on one side than the other. nut 0 cracks or damage to the clear finish anywhere.
mine is a Remington 700 model 40-X target/ varmint rifle built by Remington in December of 1967 my Uncle, who shot a lot of Rifle and Blackpowder Distance shoots
Rifle he shot this Remington during NRA distance shoots. he regularly took first or second place with it.

the stock has a full length alloy bedding block with epoxy and as its a model40-X its a Heavy or “bull Barrel” 6MM Remington caliber. Te Barrel is a factory Heavy barrel, 24"long,6 groove, 1:12 twist. originally the sling was a 1907 pattern leather Springfield sling, I changed it to a 2 loop nylon, as where i hunt the leather wouldn’t last long.(conditioned and stored it) has a “Jeweled “bolt, Timney Trigger (early with safety RH)
that has a crisp break dead on 3lbs. 6"to 12” harris bipod, with Wichita sling mounts.
it does have a machined steel DP Ross, machined steel trigger guard and internal magazine well, I think he added in the 70s. when the original Remington one cracked during a competition
sorry about that i hit reply before i was finished.
anyway, still has the 5 round internal box magazine, and now we are at the scope.
its a early Zeiss. it goes back every 5 years for a tuneup (no charge) I know he bought it in 1968, im pretty sure, because my aunt wanted to beat him stupid and back for spending over 2000$ 1968 dollars, on a scope. it is a target /Varmint model with a adjustable objective out to 1000 yards.
but I have taken plenty of game with it over the years, it can shoot well beyond my eyes, and the scope is a 4X12X36 mm and gathers light way better than any of the other glass like the Leatherwood ART I have. no comparison for clarity , distance, and light gathering. scope mount is a Burris mount. solid as a rock.(I know i saw some of the leatherwoods on the military M40s, as well as a couple of Redfield 3X9 Acurange,
Im not sure what model the Harris Bipod is. its a 6” to 12" click lock, adjustable, with brass contact faces, I figure its a Target/bench rest/Varmint unit, not sure which one. it is a early one. and as stable as my V8 ATLAS but not as easy to setup.

you can see the sun bleach in the wood, its great for me, my chassis aint exactly scar free either, and sorry for the mess, its my maids day off.:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
there are some internal mods, but thats the biggest part of the match up to a M40

10 Likes

It is a short action… the black forend cap, pistol grip cap and butt pad with the white spacer are the only dressy bits on it…

5 Likes

She’s absolutely gorgeous! Mess? What mess? All I see is M4 splendor! If ya need me to baby sit, I’m available. Any time.

5 Likes

i have a maid and shes good’ never does a bit of work stays in bed all day she will never be fired unless she starts to do some work :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: @GOBLIN

5 Likes

@GOBLIN heres the maid buck

you can see why she dont work or fired :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Damn, if that was my maid I wouldnt get any work done either.

7 Likes

@lonewolf,
Home for the weekend from Reno now. Getting ready to go back next week.
Got the AIG packet in the mail and watched the video read the material.
All sounds good, but the price is to much at this time for me. image
I found level 1 on VHS from 2001 for 1,299.00$.
I knew this would cost $, but was hoping at least level 1 would be priced lower.
Thanks for your input.

5 Likes

@Captainjack88

Anthony,

Wait until the Christmas Holiday, they will have a 50% Off Promo! Get on their mailing list and they will also send Mega Deals all year round. It doesn’t hurt to grab a video every now and then. I found myself with a few items that were ‘duplicated.’ Inbox me and I might be able to get you ‘started off’ with a few.

4 Likes

@Captainjack88 ON whatever safe you get. make sure ,damn sure that is has a thick back wall and if not you strongly anchor it to the floor and to the wall.(im talking go into over kill mode locking it down)
my buddy had it happen to his, a few years ago, and seen reports of it happening since, thieves using batt op/sawsalls. grinders , flip the safe on its front and cut the back out (90% of the safes have a thinner back wall). whoever it was, knew they were out of town, and timed the person feeding the animals on a once a day basis, there was no hurry up… its hard to stop a determined thief, but if you make it difficult enough he will look elsewhere.

6 Likes