M*CARBO Brotherhood

New Glock 48 - My likes and Dont'

Like many I have more than one handgun, Combat Commander from the 70’s, Customized Beretta 92, a Ruger LC9S, an EC9S and this new Glock 48. By far the Beretta is the best open holster side arm to me, very accurate and smooth but its a difficult to conceal heavy brick with 15+1. The LC9S is easy to conceal in a pocket but is difficult to hold in my 2XL glove size hand. The Glock 48 is a good size compromise, not too small to hold and shoot well and slim not too big to conceal. Concealment comfortable weight is OK with 10+1. Trigger pull is awful at 5.6#. Gonna fix that with a MCARBO kit.

9 Likes

I have the G43X with the Shield Arms S15 magazine. I think it’s the perfect conceal EDC.

5 Likes

I’m of a mind that a 5.6# trigger pull might be a bit stout for bullseye target shooting but when the adrenalin is flowing, I’m not so sure a trigger pull at 10#'s would be an impediment to getting rounds accurately into the bad guy - and it would certainly take a conscious effort to pull that trigger.

3 Likes

It is very hard to quantify the effect of panic, fear and adrenaline. If one takes that incalculable out of the equation and just takes a better than average shooter and a quickly aimed shot overcoming a 10# trigger one can easily fire 5 degrees off target, with a 7" weapon length, that’s off intended target 6" for every 10’ pulled off intended aim point. I have had many 1911’s carried cocked and locked with 2 # trigger pull unlocked, never fired a shot I didn’t mean to, ever.

4 Likes

I had this discussion on another forum, when I said I am using the M*carbo kit with 4.5 lbs pull instead of 5.5 lbs stock.
Like that 1 lbs delta will make any “safety” difference in a panic situation. Like I have mistaken and put the finger on the trigger, but I won’t pull it more than 5 lbs???

4 Likes

Picked up a new G48 a couple of months ago, still learning to shoot it. Regarding your 5.6lb trigger pull, my trigger pull registers 7.25 - 7.5 lbs on my gauge. It is very, very stiff.

Going to polish trigger parts, maybe change out the connector, see what happens

6 Likes

I’ll see your 43X and raise you a Sig 365.

This little guy is perfect for my EDC.

5 Likes

As you know I had a P365 with an XL grip frame and flat trigger installed for some time. I thought it was a good gun for its intended purpose, but as carrying in the PRoMD is essentially verboten, it didn’t serve me as well and I ended up selling it. I see you have the Icarus aluminum grip frame and I have no doubt I’d have one as well if the P365 was still in the harem. Aside from being unable to carry, if I’m completely honest the P365 was at the lower limit of what I can shoot effectively given the size of my hands, it’s just big enough but things do get a bit crowded with my support hand and trigger finger.

That said, I had the opportunity to shoot a G48 just yesterday at the range. Now I’m not really a Glock guy (though I have no issue with them other than looks) and I’ve never shot them very well for some unknown reason (save a G17 with an RDS I ran a mag through last year), I have to admit I found the G48 to be a decent shooter, nice weight and not a bad size for carry. I suspect the G43 would be similar given it uses the same grip frame, only difference being the slide and barrel length. It’s slim, which I can appreciate from a carry standpoint, but the grip had a bit more depth to it than I recall my P365 having and that actually made a difference in alleviating any hand/trigger finger crowding I experienced on small guns previously. The only thing I felt was lacking was the aggressiveness of the grip texture, though that may have been on purpose to reduce the abrasion potential for carry reasons. I think I’d have to give the G48/G43X some consideration if I was in a position to carry for self defense…and that’s not something I say lightly. I genuinely liked shooting it.

As for the discussion regarding trigger pull weights and carry gun modifications in general, it is important to remember that, if you’re involved in a shooting (right, wrong or otherwise), it’s highly likely your firearm will be examined closely for modifications and that does have the potential to put you in some legal hot water. Just food for thought, hate to see anyone get their proverbial tit caught in the wringer over something like that…

3 Likes

All my “carry” firearms have stock triggers for that exact reason. Even if you get through the initial legal mess there is perhaps still a civil matter to consider. I am certain your modifications will be used as evidence against you.

4 Likes

That’s possibility, but not a certainty. If a case came down to prior intent anything can be used to shade a jury, even out of perspective. A unit tricked out with lasers and lights could be made to seem as going beyond basic self defense preparation, implying the owner was looking for trouble. That kind of convoluted blame the weapon after a self defense shooting and not the circumstances is rare, despite ignoramus YouTube opining, and not a necessarily successful legal ploy anyway. More likely to be raised as a negative are high capacity magazines or putting 15 rounds down range into an attacker when the first two did the job. Even owning multiple “carry weapons” could make one seem more gun nut than ready citizen.
Bottom line, don’t use your weapon unless it really is in immediate defense of life, not some verbal offense or road rage snafu, then it really doesn’t matter, defend life, you get to have the benefit of being alive to figure the legal quirks out if what might be or could be.

3 Likes

My advise with your favorite carry…Buy two…one for self defense and one for backup when the one you used is detained.

Anyone got an extra Glock 26 Gen 4 they want to sell…cheap?

NYPD uses a 12# trigger. These are trained officers who aren’t likely to be in panic mode when firing their weapons. Check out their hit ratio using that trigger pull. They typically have less than 25% hits on subjects. Never understood their reasoning that it helps prevent accidental discharges. Supposedly touted, by them, as the best police force in the country why are they the only Dept in the country (that I have ever heard of) that can’t be trained to keep their finger off the trigger unless firing the weapon.
( I was raised by a police officer/firearms instructor/champion pistol shot father and I spent 31yrs as an officer/detective so I’m kind of familiar with the business) In my opinion and experience trigger pulls in the 2-3 # range are appropriate for competition target shooting. For defensive work, 3-6 would be acceptable. All of my pistols, 45,40 and 9mm in Sig, Springfield and Glock are set at between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 #. But then I’m still working in the security, intelligence and investigations field.

3 Likes

NYC officials are crazy.
It is more likely to miss the threat with a heavy pull, and that puts you and innocent bystanders in jeopardy.
The only time the pull can come into discussion is an ND
As for the P365XL grip being “crowded” for some - I installed a Hogue grip sleeve and solved any issues.

I’m pretty sure my SIGs are around 4.5-5 pounds in SA, easy pull and plenty light for my use. I get it that people like really light pulls for competition, though I had the opportunity to shoot a CZ with a sub 2 pound pull and, if I’m honest, I did not like it…too light for me for any use.

1 Like

4-5 lbs is what I feel ok too with for carry.

2 Likes

Even though my wife has parkinsons disease she loves hers and has no issues with the trigger pull.

1 Like

I polished the trigger on my G48 MOS and installed the double diamond connector. It is running around a 4lb pull. Much smoother and clean break.

2 Likes