M*CARBO Brotherhood

New 10/22 Barrels

“Trying” to complete my last 10/22 Custom Build. For the sake of sounding cocky, I don’t wish to sound ‘over-confident’ of my builds… I just enjoying spoiling myself with all the GOODIES. I have my Romeo and the rifle barely weighs5.35 lbs loaded.:grin:Does any of our brothers have any better suggestions??? I want to go out and play!!!

5 Likes

Barrel suggestions? Or…?

4 Likes

@RCBS

Recommend ‘new/better’ procedure to ‘fast-track’ a repair… There are too many ‘new’ target barrels that are made with ‘tighter tolerances.’ I seem to spend a lot of time machining the chambers, worrying about ‘loose magazines’ and alignment of the bore, spring recoil tension/ hammer weight? These builds seems to be coming more technical in TIMING? Just seems like these rebuilds become ‘most technical?’

4 Likes

Machining on a new barrel can’t be a good thing? What manufacturers are selling out of spec barrels?

5 Likes

I had started with a Magnum Research. I contacted them and basically got a 'full of shit, cannot be…
I did a very light Flitz application and used a new 22 shell and slowly reamed the chamber. The results were amazing after my persistehtcyl I get no failure to feed, stove pipes or failure to ejects… I then purchased a Bayer and had stove pipe issues. I repeated th process and it never returned to proprer operation so I ended selling the barrel. Now I have the Kidd and it is doing the same thing. It will work. I was told that these barrels (target) are purposely made with tighter tolerances because the manufacture is expecting tighter shooting groups and the gun eventually aligns (just like the feed ramps in 1911’s…) I have done some gunsmithing courses and it is a ‘normal’ procedure to run cleaning wire to ‘align’ the bore. It is just a ‘slow’ and tedious process. I look forward to my repairs. It is just frustrating to have to fight a ‘new’ barrel. It would be nice to just put a new barrel in and get a pefect working product! Happy shooting!

6 Likes

:flushed::face_with_hand_over_mouth:. . . . …

7 Likes

@Kona

Logan, what is your opinion about running a CCi or Aguila instead of a Thunderbolt…I know guns can be picky about ammunition. I did not have trouble with the Thunderbolts before. I ran a cleaning rod a few times and the ammunition got ‘closer’ to seating in its bore and it ‘still’ will require a ‘break in…’ Should I order a couple boxes of each before I attempt to ‘message’ the barrel and;think about realigning??? i am somewhat frustrated and may have to ‘walk away’ from it a bit!!! :thinking:

3 Likes

@lonewolf

IMO … Remington Thunderbolts are sketchy at best. I do have luck with their Golden Bullets - but, many trash them with the Thunderbolts.

CCI is much more consistent.

To be honest, I’m surprised you even bother with supersonic rounds after doing all the detail work. You get maybe 50 yards till the supersonic rounds go transonic and open the groups right up. There is a reason folks shooting 22lr over 100 yards avoid the sound barrier.

5 Likes

@Dred

I had half a box of the Remingtons. I went to a shooting range and was advised that I had to use ‘their’ ammunition. I did not bother in fighting them! I love the CCI but I was out… Yes, with all of my ‘detail orientation’ I have NO REASON to cut any corners. I want to get a decent can after I dial in my rifle (it will probably be the only ‘registered’ equipment that I will have in a while. I just cannot decide if I am going to build/buy the can? I will probably have more satisfaction filling out a Form 4 VS buying.

2 Likes

I did a Kidd build some years back. Everything Kidd minus the trigger group (OEM target) and stock (OEM target) and Mags. It has never given me the first bit of trouble, even when shooting a bunch with suppressor (dirty).

2 Likes

Norma Tac 22 and the Lapua made Wolf target have been the most consistent ammo I’ve run across. Both are coated in a messy lube oil. I’ve never messed with the high end Eley stuff though.

2 Likes

If you build it, make sure you can clean it. The amount of crud that builds up after 5-600 rounds is astounding.

2 Likes

Hell I bought a Keystone barrel for under $140 for my 10/22 build & it’s a tac driver. Only time i had an issue was after installing a volquartsen extractor. Wouldn’t extract reliably. Went back to my Tandemkross and no more issue. Eats anything I throw at it. Obviously accuracy is better with CCI, eley, etc than cheaper stuff.

7 Likes

@lonewolf Have you Tried the Armscor Brand Ive used them for years 22LR 22 Magnum and of Course The 22 TCM, and 9MM ?

2 Likes

I have a Kidd Ultra light barrel on my 10/22. It has a custom chamber done by the owner Tony Kidd and the liner is hand lapped. It is on Kidd’s website “coolguyguns.com” and it is literally a tack driver.

4 Likes

@cardguy Welcome to the Brotherhood.

3 Likes

That fluted stainless bull is giving me a bit of a chubber. :grinning:

Nice groups as well. :+1:

5 Likes

Groups are even better using Eley ammo. I am super satisfied with that barrel.

5 Likes

@cardguy Welcome to the Hood

3 Likes

@DivaMarie

No, I haven’t. I will have to give it a shot, ‘no pun intended!’ Lol

2 Likes