Need Sub 2000 MCarbo Upgrades for Dummies

I have read so much here about upgrading and have two takeaways:

1. Installing all those upgrades yourself can get a little complicated
  2. The Sub 2000 is noticeably improved afterwards

Here’s my question: I am not an expert on guns and only have two. A handgun I carry and the Sub 2000 I mentioned. I have not spent a lot of time shooting the Sub 2000 but I dont find anything wrong with it that would make me want to spend money on an upgrade. It seems to work the way it’s supposed to. What I haven’t seen is what exactly improves when you install all those parts? I feel like I’m missing out. It’s a I don’t know what I don’t know sort of thing.

I am never going to enter into a shooting competition. I got the Sub 2000 mostly for home security/protection. The police in my area are stretched pretty thin. I wanted to have something that was more capable than a pistol and easy to shoot. I am satisfied the Sub 2000 meets those requirement at a good price point and it seems reliable as is.

I want to make sure the Sub 2000 remains as reliable as I currently find it. I dont want to make a hobby out of working on it. I just want it to work when I need it. Should I do the upgrades or leave it alone?

Any advice is appreciated.

7 Likes

That is a tough question. If it works as advertised, why change it?
Trigger Springs - Smoother pull, faster.
Recoil buffer - less rise when you shoot
Recoil again, less rise, less pressure on your shoulder
Recoilless Charging Handle - less rise, easier on shoulder
Red Dot sights - easier target acquisition
Bolt Tube Cover - Keeps my beard intact.
Double Finger Extended Charging Handle - easier to grab recharging handle.
Shell Deflector - Keeps shells out of your face and easier to find
Single Point Sling Mount - attach your sling
Glock 33 Round Mag 9mm - who doesn’t need a happy stick? I have a couple.

SUB2000G2 Recoil Pad is a slip-on recoil pad pad that fits SUB2000 generation 2

Missouri Tactical Poducts LLC SUB2000G2 Recoil Pad

7 Likes

Don’t forget the bling you get…

5 Likes

I will probably go with the red dot and the greater capacity magazine.

4 Likes

Oh yeah! The free bling !!

3 Likes

The front sight on the S2K moves with the slightest bump. I bought the Red Lion one and Keltec installed it - I didn’t have a proper barrel vise and was afraid to torque the barrel. The rear sight I replaced with an MCarbo rear peep - it’s got a bevel in the peep that cuts the glare, and it’s a better size hole for my eyes. You can stand it up or lay it flat as you want using its lever - I like that better than the one factory one you can’t control. It’s easy to install - one bolt. No matter what else, I like a good set of iron sights.

I also got the larger bolt charging handle - the one that looks like two fingers worth, not a fat one. Easy enough to swap out, doesn’t get it the way, and I like the longer grip area.

I’ve added other stuff, but the above are more the minimal upgrades for me.

1 Like

The trigger, trigger guard, feed ramp and the hammer bushing are the biggest things for me. They are plastic parts that really should not be. Apart from the trigger, I can’t tell the difference when shooting; but knowing that at some point it will fire when it would have failed is huge!!

2 Likes

Love the weapon, love the hinge. But, but just for s&g maybe two metal plates for each side, just for reinforcement and overkill. Love those two things.
Could just remove the three screws, lay the plate on it and put the screws back in. Reinforced hinge!:mechanical_arm: Oh cool! We can do emojis and everyone loves emojis​:rabbit2:←rabbit

:bike::red_car::pickup_truck::blue_car::articulated_lorry: :racing_car: :police_car::police_car::police_car::police_car:

1 Like

:rabbit2: my rabbits not working I think

1 Like

Its doesnt sound like your a shooter that is gonna be sending round after round down range. If your sub2k is just a home defense firearm and is only gonna get shot on occasion then factory will probably work just fine for your needs. But i have all the internals replaced with mcarbo parts on mine and if your a avid shooter the difference between factory sub2k and upgraded is night and day. The mcarbo sub upgrades makes the whole carbine feel of better quality. Full upgrades though will end up costing as much as the carbine allready costed. So i say if your happy with it in its factory state and not gonna be shooting it alot why mess with it.

4 Likes

@HandyDave Correct. I’m fine with it the way it is for the reasons you mentioned.

Maybe it’s a dumb question but if it costs as much as the gun to improve it, why not buy a better gun that doesn’t need upgrades? Excluding things you might buy no matter what, like a red dot sight or sling.

I bought a red dot sight for my pistol recently and after a couple of weeks of getting acclimated I like it. I looked into putting one on the Sub-2000. But I realised it needs a mount, which costs about half what I paid for the red dot sight on my pistol.

1 Like

Every firearm can be improved with upgraded parts even the top shelf firearms might need to be tweaked by swaping parts for each different person that owns that firearm. And like majority of us here on forum are avid shooters and gun enthusiasts. So upgrading and changing parts is part of the enjoyment for us guys who shoot alot. Now atleast with the sub2k keltec and mcarbo teamed up to make a mcarbo edition sub2k that you can get how you want it pretty much and its a little better deal that way then it was for alot of us who upgraded parts as they came out over the years. Gun parts are like lego’s for men.

6 Likes

But is it a better gun? You buy an AR with bare minimums or loaded. You can buy a car or truck base or decked out. But you can’t always get the options you want. Buy a base unit and trick it out with the stuff you want.

3 Likes

Original price of my stock G17 S2K = $429 before mods.
After shipping, tax, FFL fee, every MCARBO update known to man, gunsmithing, misc accessories, and high-end electronic optics = $1,600
Worth it? To me, yes… for others, who cares.

6 Likes

K … so … someone went to extreme detail discussing Sub 2000 Mods recently. MCARBO is frequently featured in the short novela that.resulted.

It is here: KelTec Sub-2000 - Larry's Next PCC Adventure | Community for Kel-Tec Shooters

5 Likes

I believe some people miss the point of the basic S2K.
Its a low price PCC that folds down some what compact.
If Keltec started with all the upgrades the base price would be
a lot higher.

6 Likes

Metaphorically, you can’t make a Kia a Porsche no matter how much you spend upgrading it. It’s still a Kia. Just a nicer Kia. Buying the Porsche makes more financial sense. Residual value. The Porsche holds its value. Nobody wants to pay double the original MSRP for a highly upgraded Kia.

I’m probably being too pragmatic here. Not worth debating any further.

1 Like

If there is a strong chance you will sell the Kia then the analogy works. Not so much if you plan to keep it and are customizing it to your needs and wants.

5 Likes

We are talking about the available upgrades vs standard features.
But a KIA 911 Turbo “whale tail” spoiler would be an interesting adaptation.

3 Likes

Looks nice! I’m just starting down the rabbit hole of the S2K upgrades. How did you attach the sling?

3 Likes