M*CARBO Brotherhood

My AK-47 options

In Feb/Mar, we will be getting our annual bonus and after paying the property taxes on 2 houses and the Windstorm insurance for the Texas house, I’ll have a little left over. I figure about a grand of disposable cash. I’m looking to get an AK. I know a lot of people prefer the 74 over the 47, but… This is only gonna be a range toy and not something I will ever use as a SHTF weapon or any competitive shooting or run and gun drill thing. I was looking at the PSAK47 or the WASR. Most all the others are a good bit above the $1,000 I’m willing to spend. For those of you that have either of the above (or both), which would be your choice? Or even another model that I didn’t list that won’t exceed my limit. Please explain why you made the choice you did as I’ve never had an AK and know not a lot about them.

4 Likes

Check out the Century C39V2 with Magpul Zhukov stock. I got mine through gunbroker.com for $750. I removed the rear sight and added a Sig Romeo 5 red dot. Also have a quick detach Juliet 4X multiplier for intermediate distances.

7 Likes

I know very little about AKs either, but I’ve seen a lot of surplus options and DIY kits well under $1k.

3 Likes

@Popeye here a little info on ak’s https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/The_AK_Buyer_s_Guide___A_Beginner_s_Guide_to_the_AK_Platform__ask_all_new_AK_questions_in_here_/64-141256/

4 Likes

was going to post the same guide

3 Likes

@Dane how do you like that Juliet?

4 Likes

I looked at that a little while ago and figured since the most recent post was over 3 years ago there would be newer information. Like the PSAK47 Gen 3 wasn’t out when that was last updated.

2 Likes

No direct experience, but on paper the PSA AKs sound good with forged trunnions (really big deal cast trunnion guns fall apart) I’d suggest staying away from magpul furniture, their AK stuff isn’t great, especially the stock, and the forend requires permanent modifications to the rifle. I have both the stock and forend on one of my AKs, and hate it at somepoint when i’m sufficiently bored ill be putting the fixed wood stock back on it.

One of my AKs is a WASR, it’s been solid but I have not run it especially hard.

Yugo AKs are solid, but keep in mind that they are non standard in a number of ways and parts are not always interchangeable between an yugo and a normal AK. There’s some pics of a M92 AK pistol im working on currently in the projects thread.

Also while PMAGs are the gold standard for AR mags stay away from the AK PMAGS in my (and many other people;s) experience they suck.

5 Likes

I have a ak63ds I’ve run her pretty hard no issues

6 Likes

@Whitehammer
Hey Will you do the paracord wrap?
I was watching videos about that early today.

4 Likes

@Captainjack88 Anthony yes I did do the wrap makes it more comfortable on the cheek

3 Likes

Cool beans !
Nice job✌️

CHRIS HERE

3 Likes

It’s a great addition to the red dot. It has a quick detach mount as well as it can be tipped to the side. There are adjustments so you can center the dot from the romeo 5 in it.

4 Likes

My work in progress m92 build, currently waiting on parts.

5 Likes

Been running AK’s for 30+ years, and own several.

If me, I would buy a WASR-10 from Atlantic Firearms. The WASR-10 is a plain-Jane AK, but generally well built and durable, with a nice chrome lined barrel.You pay a little more to buy at Atlantic, but they have a long and good reputation for resolving any problems that come up.
The wood on the WASR (furniture) sucks, but can be replaced fairly easy.

4 Likes

If you don’t care about “pedigree” then IMO you can’t beat the 3rd gen PSA AK. They learned some stuff the hard way and now have a lifetime warranty.

If you do care about pedigree then WASR or YUGOs are in your price range I don’t care how much you pay for an AK, you can still get canted sights and rough rivet closures from any of them. Note if you’re going to order online … have an AK Yoda with you to look it over and return it for a significant defect

47, not 74. The 74 round isn’t as nearly as prevalent as the 7.62 x 39 AK 47 round

Amazingly simple design.

4 Likes

I ended up ordering the PSAK 47 in OD Green on sale for $529.

4 Likes

If you have the time go to AKOU 47/74 website and YouTube videos. He torture tests AK’s out to 5000 rounds and lets you know what works and what doesn’t. Rob Ski has been doing this for a few years now.

7 Likes

Akou is a good source of info

5 Likes

I’ve been watching his videos for a while.

4 Likes