M*CARBO Brotherhood

Muzzle Brake Threading

Hello everyone! I am a new sub 2k owner and I have a quick question. I took my front sight off and would like to put a muzzle brake or compensator on. The gen 2 has the 9mm threads on it, and underneath the front sight are .40 cal threads. I am wondering if it is safe to put a .40 cal muzzle brake on or if I should put a 9mm brake on with thread protectors on the .40 cal threads behind it?

2 Likes

@Awill

It ‘may’ affect the ammunition’s velocity to some degree but not affecting pattern like a ‘shot gun…’ Unless you are changing calibers you shouldn’t worry. Hope that makes sense, my friend?

Okay thank you, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn’t an absolutely terrible idea before I did it.

welcome to the forum bud

2 Likes

Hey thanks! I’m glad I found m*carbo for parts for my sub 2k, I have already almost bought everything they offer and am awaiting the release of the folding optic mount. This forum also seems very helpful if I ever have questions and want to keep up to date with things!

2 Likes

When you oder the muzzle brake select which caliber.
It does make a difference.
for one thing the threads where the brake mounts are different

2 Likes

@Awill I am thinking that if you thread on a short .40 brake like the MCARBO on a 9mm Sub then the end of the barrel will be at the end of the brake and you will not feel the affect of the brake because it won’t work. All porting on the brake must be out past the end of the barrel for it to work. After front sight is removed get the threaded sleeve from Kel-Tec to cover the exposed threads behind the brake and get a 9mm brake.

4 Likes

Just get the correct caliber muzzle brake then get the KT sleeve and be done with it

2 Likes

I looked on KT website for the .40 cal thread protector and saw several of them but no descriptions, it might just be my phone or something but they had product names, anyone know which one is the correct one that I would need for those threads?

1 Like

All the info you need is in a different thread.
DO a word search for Muzzle brake and become knowledgeable before spending your money

[quote=“Awill, post:1, topic:3907”]
Hello everyone! I am a new sub 2k owner and I have a quick question.
[/quote], this forum is loaded with info.
There is a lot you can find out by searching for topics by word search or just scroll down the topics covered .
if you want to find out about other members you can click on your icon on the upper right of the screen then go to other members and see all the folks here,
We are here to help.
I suggest you read this thread Muzzle Brake Range Report
Go to the top of the thread and read down.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the help

3 Likes

I suggest you call KT to talk and learn.
Suggestion do not use a phone use the real thing like a computer when searching the NET.
It will give lots better info and less time.

2 Likes

@Awill Yup, just tell them you are removing front sight on your 9mm Sub and you want the threaded sleeve to cover the front sight threads then just buy 9mm brake. There are a few pictures of Sub’s in this forum with that already done.

4 Likes