M*CARBO Brotherhood

Muzzle Brake Range Report

What about muzzle rise? Did it help any with that from what you noticed? That’s the other function of the brake in addition to recoil reduction. Seems like just having an extra chunk of steel way out at the end of the barrel would tame muzzle rise alone, in addition to the upward porting.

3 Likes

Ok, just got back from the range testing the new .40 cal. muzzle brake. I tested it against 3 other muzzle brakes and 2 linear compensators with Winchester 165gr. FMJ. I want to say CONGRATULATIONS Chris, your muzzle brake not only looks cool but I think it did the overall best job at helping to reduce muzzle rise and felt recoil. Having all the porting to the sides and top is the difference that makes it work. I am not a fan of the lock nut, it kept coming loose and I don’t want to use Loctite. I really like crush washers and index washers, you can time it just right so when you give it that final omph in the turn it centers right up and then can be taken off and put back on much easier. Also the Recoiless Charging Handle is awesome, I love slapping it with my right palm chambering that first round.

7 Likes

Yep as first thing stated I do believe it reduced rise. The videos also confirmed / appeared that it was slightly lower, also seemed that my two round burst how I tested it may have been a little faster. I was not aiming at any specific target and trying to keep things the same as much as possible.

2 Likes

Just got mine . Will take it out for a test run tomorrow and file a report here. It looks great, even under a magnifying glass. If it works as good as it looks , it is ready for sale. Question for those who have used it, loctite or no loctite.?

4 Likes

One or two wild shots but the majority is inside the 9 hole which is about 6 inches on the target at 25 yards. I’m cool with it. A fast Charlie is better than a slow Alpha in USPSA anyway. No wiggle on the brake and another 100 rounds through it with no issues. 200 total so far and gtg.

7 Likes

Nice. What optic are you running?

2 Likes

@Wedge Atibal MCRD Pro. Atibal is my go to for glass.

4 Likes

Oh boy - Christmas in May I got a muzzle brake today! :grinning:

Spent some time this morning at my Super Secret Hillbilly Shootin’ Spot for a little spring time refresher with my very stock Gen 2 G17 and I’m still grinning lol

Installing the new brake… will and old ski vice for a gun vice suffice?
P1010235

Pretty well actually (It’s even got padded jaws)
P1010236

And there it is looking like it was always supposed to be there.
P1010238

The fit and finish is indeed really nice. If I were to be hyper critical I could see some very faint mill marks on the bottom flat face (which is cool cuz it’s a prototype bro :sunglasses: ) everywhere else looked exceptonal! The two parts spun on with perfect ease by fingers only without any excessive freeplay and snugged up smartly with the provided wrench. I used red threadlocker and should be able to head back out tomorrow morning to see how it feels and try to heat it up a bit :+1:

10 Likes

Just received my muzzle brake today will pull s2k Tuesday pull thread protecter off and test fit muzzle brake then hope to test this week then report what I think

4 Likes

@ChrisNelson Just got back from testing the new muzzle brake. I fired 120 rounds of 115 grain Blazer Brass. I have the recoilless charging handle and the life saver recoil buffer installed. I wish I could report a difference in the amount of recoil, but I think because of the other products there was not enough recoil left for the brake to make much of a difference. As far as muzzle flip, that is a completely different story. I use a red dot and it never lifted enough to take the sight off the target. I am very impressed with the way it preformed . The fit and finish are first rate, unless you insist on the finish being mirror perfect, a few machining marks on the bottom. I think that it is ready for release . I did not use locktite for the install and so far it has not loosened at all. I put an index mark to see if it moved. During the install I used a 21 mm open end wrench to hold the brake, which I put 4 or 5 wraps of blue painters tape so as not to mar the finish. 5 stars to Chris for a fine product

11 Likes

I am amongst those waiting for the return of my BABY. I can only comment on the physical appearance
finish :::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
design :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:
jamb nut, I have to say :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:. The covered jamb nut looks nice and substantial without adding much overall build up on barrel.

2 Likes

Well installed my muzzle brake today very easy to install no difference in balance of s2k this being first mod I ll let you know trying to go to range this week or weekend and give a shooting report as far as finish it’s very well made since my is a 40 cal I did locktite it on and made sure indexed it can’t wait to tear up the range report back soon

1 Like

I have put about 3 - 4 boxes each of 115gr. and 147gr. through my 9mm S2K both before and after installation of the brake now. I have neither the recoil buffer or recoilless charging handle upgrades installed yet and all shooting was done standing, unrested outdoors. I am finding the differences in recoil and muzzle rise with the 115gr. to be noticeable but not that significant but definitely more so with the 147gr. which now has what I would describe as a soft recoil but still more so than a .22 like others have reported (who I believe have other upgrades). The 115gr. does seem to make a louder report now. Overall quicker return to target which is NICE! The brake does not appear to have drifted at all but I was not able to get the barrel terribly hot which in all practicality I probably never will. I think I want to have another 2-3 sessions with it as it is now and then pull it back off and see how it feels to me then but all in all I would call it a winner and would happily buy it from my experience so far. I am just a shooting enthusiast, not an expert by any means and I am looking forward to others test reports and further range time with mine. Thank you MCARBO! :grinning: :+1:

8 Likes

I had the buffer pad installed it really made a difference. I only shot 115 & 124 gr ammo. I want to get hotter ammo and try it again. Hopefully this time my camera guy shows up. There was a noticable noise increase but not that bad. I wear double hearing protection when shooting so I really can’t say for sure how much louder it was. That is why I want to go back with a video camera.

2 Likes

I’m guessing the gasses being ported back towards the shooter is the reason for the increased noise.

2 Likes

I agree with that statement. There was a slight increase in the amount of smoke. Not enough to cause any problems with seeing the front sight or the target. I was shooting in doors.

1 Like

I use foam plugs only with the Sub even though I have fairly low profile ear muffs they still interfere with the buttstock on me. I agree, increased noise wasn’t bad at all. I didn’t notice any increase in visible smoke but I have wondered what difference there would be shooting it at night.

2 Likes

I call my buddies “tripods”. They get so mad haha. I’m like hey wanna shoot? They’re like you just need a tripod!

4 Likes

I don’t have a problem with the muffs hitting the tube. The little bit of smoke didn’t get in the way and I was shooting fast with a 32 round magazine x4. I burned through 500 rounds of Federal Champion 115 gr fmg in under 1 hour. Then anouther 100 rounds of 124 gr HST in 30 minutes. I did get the barrel a tad bit hot. But it was so much fun. There were a couple of AR guys making comments about the toy gun. It didn’t take long to make them shut up when they saw the results. Then they started asking questions about the Sub2000 and when I folded in half to put it away that was all it took for one to say I gotta get one of those.

11 Likes

Well I ll be testing muzzle brake this Saturday Maybe couple hundred rounds me and my wife will be shooting it also just bought pro trigger job and recoilless charge handle today

3 Likes