Mod 77/17 Kit: # Of Shims Needed?

Gentlemen, a friend and I just took home new Rug Mod 77/17’s and it took both of us to pull just one trigger; can’t believe hard hard it is. Since my gunsmith is out sick, I got on line and randomly found your site and ordered two of your kits, but am curious how you know how many shims your particular rifle’s bolt needs; is it just trial and error?

Thank you for your service; I was a Navy River Rat in a former life and a PH recipient myself. The SF babysat the regional forces in our AOR.
JD

5 Likes

@JDavis

Welcome to the M*CARBO Brotherhood and thank you for your service. I look forward to your group participation and questions. Best wishes in your future firearm endeavors. Best wishes to you and yours.

3 Likes

most the ones ive done, usually take 1 shim, on occasion 2, I shoot for around .003 max clearance,. shims are, (at least the ones i use) .0025 thick
welcome home brother!

3 Likes

welcome to the brotherhood give and learn and enjoy @JDavis

4 Likes

@JDavis Welcome to the Brotherhood John. Thank you for your Naval service in the “Nam”.

4 Likes

@JDavis Welcome to Group’ Thanks Brother for your Service’ One of best friends who was on PBR duty had 3 boats taken out underneath Him and made it home.

4 Likes

Thanks much; this looks like a bunch of former trigger pullers converted to amateur gunsmiths, that works.

John H. Davis

Inarow Tree Company

Box 7, Yolo, CA 95697

530-908-4251

jd@jhdavisassoc.com

3 Likes

God bless him; I was on a Swift Boat working south from where the PBR’s left off doing the same thing.

5 Likes