M*CARBO Brotherhood

Military Weapons

Thought I’d start a new thread talking about and maybe showing pics of formally issued military weapons. This is a pic of my Match Grade M1 Garand originally issued early in the Pacific theater of WW2. It was rebuilt by the CMP as a National Match grade. Barrel, op rod, front and rear sights are all National Match. The manufacturer was Springfield Armory.

20 Likes

1911 38 super manufactured in 1937 Not sure if it was in the wars or not.

15 Likes

@Texprep Looks really nice. How does it shoot?

4 Likes

@godallmighty
Shoots really good. More accurate than I expected. Really have to hand it to the guys that fought with the Garand. Reloading the enbloc clip under fire took some know how. Don’t know if you’re familiar with the term Garand thumb, but I am so paranoid of that bolt slamming shut on my thumb while loading the clip I’m pretty slow on reloading.

5 Likes

The CMP has a bunch of 1911 45’s they are going through now. When they become available, I plan on buying a few. I carried one for 4 years while in the Coast Guard and really like the 1911. It is a real mechanical marvel. I currently have a Springfield Range Officer, but want one like I carried while serving. As far as your 1911, nice looking firearm, especially for an 80 year old weapon. You may be able to research the serial number through the CMP, Government, or manufacturer records and get more history on yours.

4 Likes

@texprep I was going to ask you if you got your Garand thumb yet. :grimacing:

6 Likes

@texprep It came to me from a Texas rancher who got it from a cowboy who brought it up from Mexico sometime in the 60’s. Because it is a 38 super I think that it might have had some time as a Texas Ranger side arm before it went down south . It has some competition sites and what seem to be comp grips, so who know what kind of life it led. Still shoots better than me, so I’m happy with it for now. My friend has a 1911 manufactured in 1917 with markings from the wars. I will try and get a picture of it and post it.

6 Likes

@Texprep Seems like we have a lot of ex Coast Guard people on the forum. If I can figure out how to set up a poll, it might be interesting to see the military break down by service.

6 Likes

Savage smle. 303 made 1934
Stamped as service rifle
Handed down from grandfather who had told me it was his military issued rifle
Has antclockwise twist in barrel that suits northern hemisphere shooting he was based in Africa

13 Likes

@Texprep CMP isn’t placing a limit of one per customer? That has been their usual practice.

2 Likes

@Johnksg
There is a limit of how many you can buy in any calander year, I believe it is 6. I think you are correct in that you can only buy one at a time though. I’ll have to go back to their website to verify this though.

4 Likes

@Johnksg
This is from the CMP FAQ’s page. I was close, but you can actually buy up to 8 a year.
HOW MANY M1 RIFLES MAY I PURCHASE PER YEAR?

A.

Purchase of M1 Garand rifles is limited to eight (8) per customer per calendar year - regardless of grades purchased. Any serial numbered item concerning M1 Garands counts towards your 8 M1 Garand limit per calendar year.

The CMP occasionally also conducts other special sales programs as assets become available. These special sales and purchases through the CMP auction site do not count against the above

4 Likes

@Texprep thank you sir…I have been educated once again! :+1:

4 Likes

@Johnksg
Looks like you are correct about the 1911’s though… Looks like only 1 per year.

5 Likes

@Texprep thats what I thought, but I didn’t realize you could purchase more than one M1 Garand at a time so I still stand corrected! Lol

CMP is a great program, if you have used them before then you know the vast difference in quality between their grades. (Buyer beware!)

2 Likes

@Johnksg Last I read, they still have the one per person until everyone on the list has one.

2 Likes

@godallmighty that was my impression, but has been quite awhile since I bought a CMP weapon…guess some things have changed?

I wonder if Trump will let them bring back the Korean M1s and 1911s that Obama blocked? Now those will be some that are worth getting!

Unlike the Philippines the Koreans took very good care and meticulous maintenance of all their lend lease weapons!

2 Likes

@Texprep sorry, you asked me a question on the other thread and I never answered…

One out of three of my M1s has all matching serial numbers (including bayonet). I also have an M48 and a K98 that are both “complete” as well and are on loan to the museum. The Arisaka has the bayonet, but no serial number. The C96 does not have the matching shoulder stock/holster…

Those are the first ones that come to mind. Parts guns are of course far more common.

2 Likes

I would think that’s a Mexican service issued pistol. A Texas Ranger would carry a 1911 in .45acp and .38 super is an odd/boutique caliber here. Mexican citizens aren’t allowed to have any firearms chambered in a LE or military caliber. That’s why .38 super is one of most commonly available and used rounds in Mexico. A shiny chromed and engraved 1911 in .38 super is the choice of the Cartel bosses. :wink:

Actual pistols captured from a Cartel jefe.

7 Likes

Interesting. I’ve never even heard of that before.

2 Likes