M*CARBO Brotherhood

Micro Drill or Micro Chuck?

I need to drill a front sight pin hole to install a roll pin in a new Dawson fiber optic front sight on my Smith and Wesson 617-6. Since I’m only drilling one hole what’s the best and most economical option? I have all the parts needed to do the job…but no way to chuck a bit this small…without breaking it.

I can purchase a micro drill with variable speed for about $30 online and maybe a micro chuck for around $10.

The drill bit is a #54 .055” or 1.4 mm.

Don’t want to take it to a gunsmith for so small of a job.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Here’s what looks to be appropriate for the job. (200-1,200 rpm):

3 Likes

You have any neighbors that have a drill press? Ask around to see if there is a trade school in your area and go talk to an instructor, they may let you use their drill press if you have the bit.

Tom

3 Likes

Most standard “Jacobs” chucks will hold that size bit. I would definitely want it in a drill press. If you try to do it by hand will will either drill it crooked or break the bit.

5 Likes

I second the drill press option. That size bit would be so easy to break. Just let the the bit do it’s job and take your time with it.

3 Likes

@TomT
@MrMachinist
@SixFootCow
Relax guys…thanks for the advice. My drill press went over the mountain in a storm before I could build my shop many years ago…gone!

So with a drill press vice and my Makita cordless drill I slowly drilled from both sides. No problems and no broken bits.
I used Rock Set glue in the joint and roll pin…just in case. The old crappy sight from S W came out easy…looked like they just used the roll pin and no glue.

Now while the glue sets I think I’m going to polish my baby for the first time. Looking forward to seeing the target nice and clear.

Cheers! :tumbler_glass:

4 Likes

500 rounds later…love the fiber optic front sight but don’t like the notched rear sight. Getting the last 2” on a bullseye is going to take a fiber optic rear sight. I found Speedy Beez has the front/rear fiber optic sights but only in sets. However, just talked with them and they said by the end of February a rear fiber optic sight for Smith and Wesson from TruGlo will be released.
I’m stoked to hear that! Should be about $100.
Will be back!

4 Likes

@MountainHunter Where did find the Vise? is it Magnetic ?

3 Likes

Picked it up at Slowes (Lowe’s) for $20. It’s a 4” vise…not magnetic I’m sure.

4 Likes

Still looking for a rear fiber optic sight for my SW 617-6. :eyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Anyone have a clue where to get one?:face_with_monocle:

Love the Dawson front fiber optic red sight…:eyes::boom::boom::boom::sunglasses:

LPA is nice but they won’t sell just the rear…:rage:

1 Like

@MountainHunter Nice Rear Sight’ For the price they ask for These they should throw in the Frt and give You Free life time Fiber Replacements! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Agree! LPA is from Italy…backordered and manufacturing has been shut down or greatly reduced.

Turns out Hi Viz has stepped up to the plate…they had the front fiber optic sight only available for years.

The Dawson front sight :eye: installed Is doing great.

$90 retail. Will be available in 1-2 weeks.
https://www.hivizsights.com/product/sw-revolver-rear-sight/

1 Like