M*CARBO Brotherhood

Micro Drill or Micro Chuck?

I need to drill a front sight pin hole to install a roll pin in a new Dawson fiber optic front sight on my Smith and Wesson 617-6. Since I’m only drilling one hole what’s the best and most economical option? I have all the parts needed to do the job…but no way to chuck a bit this small…without breaking it.

I can purchase a micro drill with variable speed for about $30 online and maybe a micro chuck for around $10.

The drill bit is a #54 .055” or 1.4 mm.

Don’t want to take it to a gunsmith for so small of a job.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Here’s what looks to be appropriate for the job. (200-1,200 rpm):

3 Likes

You have any neighbors that have a drill press? Ask around to see if there is a trade school in your area and go talk to an instructor, they may let you use their drill press if you have the bit.

Tom

3 Likes

Most standard “Jacobs” chucks will hold that size bit. I would definitely want it in a drill press. If you try to do it by hand will will either drill it crooked or break the bit.

3 Likes

I second the drill press option. That size bit would be so easy to break. Just let the the bit do it’s job and take your time with it.

2 Likes

@TomT
@MrMachinist
@SixFootCow
Relax guys…thanks for the advice. My drill press went over the mountain in a storm before I could build my shop many years ago…gone!

So with a drill press vice and my Makita cordless drill I slowly drilled from both sides. No problems and no broken bits.
I used Rock Set glue in the joint and roll pin…just in case. The old crappy sight from S W came out easy…looked like they just used the roll pin and no glue.

Now while the glue sets I think I’m going to polish my baby for the first time. Looking forward to seeing the target nice and clear.

Cheers! :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes