M*CARBO Brotherhood

MCARBO Ruger LCP II spring kit - FATAL FLAW

Well, I finally got the spring kit installed. It was MUCH harder than it looked in Chris’ video. His pistol must have been apart several times already for T&E since he was able to remove his pins with a little tippity, tappity jeweler’s/watch maker’s hammer. I had to use a full sized hammer, but I got 'her done.

Now, here’s the HUGE flaw. When I tried to pull the trigger to test the install, I couldn’t most of the time. Why? Because the MCARBO trigger return spring is way too light. It was so light that the coil spring inside the trigger that actuates the Glock-like safety dingus thingy was strong enough that the entire trigger started moving rearward before the safety dingus was fully depressed and out of the way. It was still hitting the frame behind the trigger and stopping it. I reinstalled the stock trigger return spring and all was fine. It is noticeably stronger and the trigger won’t start to move rearward since it will overcome the safety dingus coil spring and let it fully depress. It doesn’t change the trigger pull/poundage in any way and it’s quite good after the other two (hammer and firing pin) springs were installed. Those appear to function fine. Well, at least until I get it out and actually test fire it.

@ChrisNelson Any ideas? Have you seen/heard of my issue before? IMO, that could get a person killed in a gunfight with not being able to pull the trigger.

8 Likes

yea, and i never like to cut a spring anyway, they made for a certain supported release pressure, change that support, change the direction of load.
agreed , either another weaker spring needs to be added, or up the tension on the trigger return spring to exceed the safety spring/disconnect.
could be a weak lot of springs as well. stranger things have happened brother…

7 Likes

All Chris needs to do is drop the trigger return spring from the kit. Or, just put a stock spring in it and let people think it’s “new” along with the other springs. It’s totally not needed anyway and it reduces the install work by at least 1/3rd.

5 Likes

Have no info as to the mcarbo kit but i can recommend Fort Wayne Tacticals kit. Works flawlessly and dropped trigger pull down to about 3.5#

5 Likes

Well, I already have the MCARBO kit installed, so I’m not buying another one. The MCARBO kit really did drop the trigger pull nicely and improved the break. Chris’ video showed 2.5something pounds and, even though I don’t have a trigger pull gauge, I believe it. The only issue is with the trigger return spring being too light. Who knows, maybe there are differences in spring strengths from pistol to pistol because he didn’t seem to have that problem with his when he was demonstrating the improved trigger pull, but I did. Maybe my safety return coil spring was a bit stronger than his, but it was definitely an issue with mine.

5 Likes

@Wedge thank you for the feedback. This is the first I’ve heard of this issue. I’ll look at it closer today. We can always go a bit heavier on the trigger return spring and still be a bit lighter than the factory spring. I’ll keep you posted and if we make a heavier one, I’ll send it to you.

8 Likes

Thanks, Chris. At first, I was like, “What the heck?” I couldn’t figure out what was going on. I took it all apart three times and checked everything over, but the issue remained so it wasn’t my handiwork that caused it. I finally “put it under the microscope” and that’s when I noticed the main trigger starting to move rearward before the safety return coil spring let safety lever depress fully into the trigger first. Honestly, I don’t think you need to make a new spring as the stock spring works fine, as it always has, and it doesn’t change the nice feeling the rest of the trigger upgrade kit provides. If it were my decision, I’d just drop the included trigger return spring and reduce the price of the kit commensurately.

8 Likes

@ChrisNelson I was able to get out and shoot it earlier today. 125 rounds with zero issues with both cheap WWB ball ammo and good defensive carry ammo. The trigger is definitely lighter and feels better. Most importantly, I’m now more accurate with it, too. Even though I had an issue with the trigger return spring, I still recommend the MCARBO spring kit as a good and pretty inexpensive upgrade for the LCP 2 or LCP II pistols. :+1:

7 Likes

Just installed the kit and ran into the same problem. I also took it back apart and checked it several times. Thanks for sharing this information. I’ll try replacing the trigger return spring and see how that works. I didn’t see the big weight reduction, but I’ll allow that my trigger gauge is just average. I think it is at least 1.5 - 2 lbs lighter and that’s a big difference in the small pistol.

5 Likes

Yes, just put the stock trigger return spring back in and all will be fine with a noticeably better trigger.

5 Likes