M*CARBO Brotherhood

Maverick 88 vs Stevens 320

I’ve been thinking about getting a Maverick 88 for a few weeks now.
Always been a fan of the quality you get at such a budget price range.
Been to a few gun shops lately, selling them at inflated prices. $350.
But I know I can get one online at a much better price. Around $200.

Another HD shotgun I’ve been seeing a lot lately is the Stevens 320.
Roughly the same price as the Maverick, but in several configurations.
Ghost ring sights, pistol grips, Security/Field combo, rails and others.
I know the Mav can also occasionally be found in the 18.5"/28" combo.
And the compatibility with the 500/590 makes upgrades easy to find.

But are these Stevens 320 Security shotguns comparable to the Mav?
Is the durability and reliability there? Anyone here have one? Can help?

4 Likes

Never mind, seems the Stevens is made in China,
I’ll just go with what I know and get the Mossy.

7 Likes

I know the old stevens/savage/springfield stuff was very well made for the price. Like alot of newer stuff it just aint what the companies used to put out as far as quality goes. My dad has the maverick 88 he keeps handy at the house and has never had any issues with it. And like youve allready said being that is pretty much a cheaper mossberg 500 upgrading is very easy so you get the fit and function your looking for. And you can upgrade without breaking the bank. A good shotty in my opinion is irreplaceable as go to home defense weapon.

7 Likes

Tough to beat a Mossberg IMHO. The 88 is a really good pump shotgun, probably the best deal on a 12 GA pump out there.

7 Likes

All my shotguns are at least 30 years old and in varying conditions.
The ones that are in good shape are safe queens, not to be f’d with.
The others are in poor to decent states and each in need of something.
I feel it’s about time to get a new one. A good, cheap everyday shotgun.

7 Likes

Id say you cant go wrong with the 88 for a good all purpose everyday shotgun. And im pretty sure you can use mossberg adapter so you can double down with the mini shells. Another good option is the winchester ranger 120. Its the budget version of the 1300.

6 Likes

Now you’re talkin’…:boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom:Purchased a Mav88 Cruiser back in the summer, awesome little shotty.

8 Likes
3 Likes

@ValorSolo
Saw a few Maverick 88 Security pumps on Gunbroker, after shipping and taxes were creeping towards $300.

FWIW, they were the 8 shot model.

4 Likes

That’s the same model, 31046, that I’ve been looking at.
Lowest price I’ve seen is $260, and I’m okay with that.
Just being picky and search for the best deal.

I had the 18.5" FDE as low as $225, but it sold overnight.
Ya snooze, ya lose, right?

2 Likes

And if anyone is interested in the Stevens 320, classic firearms has the best deals I’ve seen.
Savage Arms Shotguns For Sale - Imported and Military Surplus at ClassicFirearms.com

1 Like

Was that shipped?
One on GB was $239 but w/ $40 ship fee…most sellers [I’ve dealt with] charge around $25-30
Then there are other sellers adding 3% cc.:roll_eyes:

Hope you can snag a deal!

4 Likes

No, total including shipping is $280. Still looking though.

I’m certainly trying to but today’s prices are higher than yesterday.

1 Like

Do you have Academy Sports nearby?

Free store pickup.

4 Likes

I have them about 100 miles away in every direction, but none closer.

While I was browsing earlier, I ran across a 870 hardwood for $350.
Was very tempted, but I’m more interested in the Maverick right now.
I don’t think the Remington 870 is the same quality it used to be.
Otherwise I would have jumped on that deal at Primary Arms.

3 Likes

That’s a pisser there’s no closer.

Had read some tidbits of Remington quality not being what it used to be. Seems like the “good ol’ days” were for real on lotsa goods and services.

I did my due diligence on the Maverick 88 before purchasing the Cruiser. It checked all the boxes for me.

5 Likes

My buddy bought a new 870 at walmart 2 years ago when they had a sell. He got it for a house gun and it didnt take but 2 weeks of it being leaned up in bedroom closet and the barrel looked like he had left it leaned up in the woods for a week during a rain storm. Completely covered in rust. The shotgun worked fine and still does but i had never seen a gun speacially a new gun rust up that quick. He had a hell of a time getting a new barrel and had to pay shipping when he finally did get it. Company said it was a heat treat issue.

3 Likes

Got a good review here…with a little $20 M*CARBO trigger spring mod…:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:

4 Likes

I watched this. James and his crew ran 505 rounds through it in little over an hour.
He’s been doing a good amount of shotgun videos lately. Which is pretty awesome.

6 Likes

Love the way he set up this shockwave. Shooting those mini’s looks so fun.
The Ultimate 590 Mossberg Shockwave - YouTube

4 Likes