M*CARBO Brotherhood

Match Talk. A place for "match contest" conversation 🎯

This topic can be used for all conversation about what your doing in the contest.

How’s your shooting?
What were your improvements?
Failures and improvements with your guns.
Old methods that still work and new things learned.

2 Likes

@jeffing65
@Festus
After shooting the Mail in Match I took the furniture off the old Enfield thinking I’d refinish it. The stock had been cut straight and a rubber butt pad installed. Getting it off I had to Dremel a hole to fine the screws. Thus ruining it. Wasn’t planning on putting it back in anyway. Want something different there.

Starting searching the net for a new butt pad. Witch lead me to looking at original stocks and original brass butt plates on EBay. Had lots of options their. Some of the stocks I found had never been used or stained.
Ran across this https://www.combathunting.com/ENFIELD_RIFLE-Enfield_Rifle_Stock_Fits_303_No4_Mk1_2_5.html
For a few Ducketts it was soon delivered and the old Enfield is back together

9 Likes

Looks good @Captainjack88, believe me, you’ll be glad you didn’t go OEM brass butt plate! :rofl:

We’re heading out soon, hope to get a score entered in the A and D division’s.

Edit: Shot for score in both A & D divisions. Still can’t understand the flyer on the D target. Just can’t seem to break the 98 barrier. Oh well, next month. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

@Festus
I like the look I have achieved with the Enfield.
Having inheriting this rifle already sport-a-rised and a sloppy finishing job done to the stock I wanted a totally different look.
Going to Dremel out the stock where the sling mount mounts to use original hardware.

Your Marlin 336BL .30-30 got me in Division D this time.
What power scope is that?:slightly_smiling_face:
Next month.
![image|666x500]
(upload://fEPkXPVZKHhQ7qXFRt8BtxwTfzr.jpeg)

3 Likes

This is the scope that came with it. Nikon Tactial 308 The parallax isn’t adjustable and seems set for 100yds, even so it has a nice, clear sight picture at 50.

3 Likes

Lots of confusion now what with the new target shown in the “Il Partita Tiratore Scalto” (Italian for The Sharpshooter Match) official rules. I hope to clear this up, that set of rules was meant for July’s match. June was supposed to be with the first target and rules as per “Group 1” A lot has happened since then. I took the easy way out and had the new rules moved from a PM rather that re-type them. Hopefully we can get these rules finalized. As for targets, well those may change, no, make that will change from time to time to keep things interesting and challenging. Gone are the age divisions and iron/optic limits. I hope you can shoot June’s match. Also, hope to see you shooting in July and onward. It’s our hope that by August’s match we can start tallying points for a series high shooter in the divisions for the end of the year.

Again, my apologies for all this confusion.

4 Likes

Very awesome - makes me much happier. I’m about to post two entries at 50 yards I shot today. I didn’t bother shooting unmagnified 'cause I couldn’t get a sight picture that warranted a trigger pull.

4 Likes

Dred

Ha Ha Ha, I like your sense of humor.
Bo Derick. :sunglasses:
I’m dusting off this old timer, stay tuned for round 2.

5 Likes

@Dred You’ve posted your targets in the right places. Kind of a fluster cluck this month, next month will be better.

@Moosecall Post up in the same place @Dred did. Looking forward to your results with that ol’ girl.

4 Likes

You got it, will do.
Would you believe that I shot a partridge on the fly at ~25 yards with that ol’ girl. It was one of the luckiest shots I have ever made.

5 Likes

Stupid question. What is the technical beginning point, for measuring range distance?

A line the end of the muzzle must be behind? (I would think)
Or is it the line the shooter must stand behind?

1 Like

I don’t know what competition rules call for. But I figure it’s marked as the shooters line at most ranges.

2 Likes

This is typical for must, if not all matches. The “firing line” is clearly marked with red or yellow paint.

1 Like

I had never really thought about it until now. The shooters line makes the most sense, now that i do.

I will shoot from a seated position, using a small table and a couple sandbags. That got me to wondering where the line really is. It’s not an issue for us. A few inches either way doesn’t make any difference. If you are shooting on your on, and if not your not.

1 Like

So, no part of weapon or shooter, shall be forward of the “firing line”.

And X distance is line to target.

2 Likes

You are correct sir. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Hey Festus
So glad you clarified, this is a good point.
My last entry (50 yards) is invalid, I was standing on the 50 yard mark.
Cheers,

2 Likes

cough turn it in anyway cough

2 Likes

LMAO, well done.
Going forward… Did we miss any other fine tuning that might apply?

2 Likes

When the details are ironed out, July’s rules will be posted. If you have questions then please feel free to ask. June’s match is a learning curve, for all of us.

4 Likes