Marlin 1895 SBL: Anybody Got One?

@JohnB ok, there is now a steel lever gear rack, for the 81, takedown 81, takedown ,Lightning, Lightweight(alloy receiver) . this IS a factory replacement part, but made in steel. they also have the cocking gear assembly factory replacement part, also in steel. also the sear lever, in steel factory replacement parts. will not fit the 71 models and earlier, as thy were already steel. these parts are also spacific, for long and short action…

2 Likes

@GOBLIN

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind, though unlike you, I have no gunsmithing talents and would have to get my local gun shop to do the replacement.

2 Likes

I’ll have to ask him. All I can remember about it is he bought it at Ron’s in Shreveport, LA. the same time I bought my Savage Axis in .223 and the 917 VRX. And to be honest, I was more focused on the great deals I was getting. lol.

2 Likes

I LOVE big bores and I own both the Marlin 1895 SBL and the Henry All-Weather, both in 47-70 Gov’t. Both guns are very well made (my 1895 SBL does NOT suffer from the poor QA issues that some Remington-assembled Marlins unfortunately exhibit). I have the Skinner sights on both (these are the definitive “brush guns” so I refrained from mounting red-dots (which I have on many other rifles and shotguns - mostly CQB guns)) as these lever guns are intended for use on hogs at relatively close quarters - certainly within 100 meters max and most often (when in brush) at 5 to 20 meters at most. (Incidentally, there are two excellent YouTube videos by Iraqveteran8888, testing the “brush busting” capability of the 45-70 Gov’t round versus lighter rounds, and the 45-70 Gov’t won hands down - wonderful round especially in modern loads!),

Both rifles function and shoot quite well - lots of gun and lots of fun! I’ve always been a fan of big bores (well, up to a point anyway - my 458 Win Mags are plenty big enough while I wouldn’t even attempt a 460 Weatherby or similar) and as long as I really “get into the gun”, then recoil even with the stoutest loads, really isn’t a problem (with 400 gr loads, it’s somewhere around 60% of the 458 Win Mag w/ 500 gr loads). One fun drill that I like to run from time to time, is the “charging hog” drill where I use an old tether ball filled with liquid rubber (EPDM - available on Amazon for about $30/gallon for black ) that’s set up firm (but not rock hard) attached to a 30 meter piece of rope with my wife holding the “tag” end of the rope and standing behind me, while the tether ball is setting out in a bush at about 25 meters distance. My wife then yanks/pulls the rope fast, thereby pulling the tether ball out of the bush and very rapidly back towards me and I have to mount from a low ready and then fire as fast as possible as the “hog” skips and jumps over the rocky ground at the tactical range until I either empty the magazine and kill the “hog” by scoring at 2-3 solid hits or I miss and the tether ball “gores” me. Afterwards, I patch up the “hog” with some more liquid rubber for next time. I prefer to use solids for this drill, as hollow points tend to do a lot more damage to the “hog”.

You have to “get into the gun” (i.e, “marry the gun good and tight”) when you mount it, in order that your body and the rifle become “one” and recoil together as a unified mass. Getting “slapped in the face” by a slack-mounted/held 45-70 or any other rifle for that matter, isn’t a lot of fun, and you avoid that by “marrying up” tight (it’s like showing your woman some real affection). The other point that I’ve found helpful when shooting big bores (or for that matter when shooting a lot of 12 ga slug/buck during CQB tactical evolutions) is to avoiding blading and to bring the butt pad inward somewhat towards the centerline of the body and upwards (in a tactical stance) to where I merely lean my head forward (and not tilted to the side) while holding the rifle hard/tight to my chest. Beyond that, it’s just “focus on the front” sight" and almost unconsciously press the trigger as the sights come to bear, then rack the lever without losing cheek weld and repeat. I also have Limbsaver butt pads on each rifle, and those tend to spread the recoil impulse at the point of contact so that I’m not catching a “hard” butt plate corner/tip during recoil, like the old buffalo hunters had to do with their big bores (damn, those guys could really take some punishment and come back for more).

Anyway, if you get an 1895 SBL then I’m sure that you will thoroughly enjoy owing/shooting it - very fine weapon.

Molon labe !!!

4 Likes

I have the blued version of the remlin, I think it’s the gbl, I had trouble sighting it in with remember corelok 405. Shot too low. I called Marlin and they sent me a shorter front sight. With the remington 405 s , the first step on the elevator is 25 yds, the 2 nd step is 50, the 100 yd is the 4 the step, shoots 2 inches high, group size is under 2 inches and I’ve shot several groups at and inch and under. Hey it’s my home defense gun when the skunk monkey attacks.

3 Likes