M*CARBO Brotherhood

Made my own butt pad

No offence to MCARBO but after my first day at the range I had a sore shoulder for a couple days. I wanted a shock pad that would allow me to fold the gun without extending the butt to it’s longest position. But no go yet from MCARBO. I did though purchase the heavy charge handle and internal reducer. They probably won’t arrive before my next range day.

So I took an aluminum sheet, formed and sized it to the factory butt. Drilled and mounted it temporarily. I then formed a vee into some rather firm rubber packing material and epoxied it to the aluminum sheet. Have not tested it yet (next Saturday).

7 Likes

Wondering to polish it off and waterproof purposes if it was dipped in that rubberized paint to seal it. The paint is flexible but not sure if will crack over time on the pressure points?
Great idea!

1 Like

That is a good point. When I put it together I wondered about water absorption. Maybe instead of just dipping actually rub it into the surface. Now that you brought it up I will take a piece and see if it will absorb water as it is. And if so get some rubber tool dip and test that on a piece. I have some rubber paint but it is blood red, might be a good touch though! This is sorta temporary until M*CARBO has something similar ready to buy!

2 Likes

redmtnex
Spot on, that’s what I was thinking of “rubber tool dip” comes in black, and other colours.
I bet that would work and smooth out your minor fabrication imperfections as well.
Good luck, looking forward to seeing the final product.
Cheers,

1 Like

I wish MCarbo had made their butt pad into a, you know, pad instead of just another piece of hard plastic. Granted it’s flatter than the stock v-shaped “pad” but there’s no padding to it. Several buddies of mine don’t like the s2k because of felt recoil, and that’s with the M*Carbo butt pad and a doubled bolt buffer. Is rubber available like a shotgun butt pad uses? That would be the material to go with - firm but with ‘give’ to it, maybe waffled something like this:

3 Likes

Hey phuzzy42
Agree, I still haven’t installed the butt pad I purchased, mulling it over digesting all the feedback to date. The agreement is not a "recoil REDUCING pad. Perfect if resting upright, the butt pad on uneven or slippery surfaces and alike adds for stability. A custom fit slip on or even velcro, tear off. Still debating.

1 Like

There are a bunch of pads that can be attached with screws to a wood butt stocks. The trick would be to create a mounting plate for the 2000, inset V on one side and flat on the pad side. It is the shape of the 2000 that is the problem. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151354638

1 Like

@redmtnex
Yes cut to fit with molded rubber wrap around as shown, can slip on and off.
Can also slip over M*CARBO bolt on butt as shown. Not the bet representation but used one of the pads brom the link you supplied.
Cheers,

2 Likes

I just did the water test on the material I used. It will indeed suck up some water but I had to submerge the sample and really compress it several times. I am wondering how some 3M waterproofing spray for fabric would work. An hour later though I cannot get any moisture to form on the sides when compressing it as much as I can.

1 Like

You might try using closed cell foam, it is much less likely to absorb liquids.

4 Likes

Yes that would be the best solution. Most likely the “off the shelf” soft recoil pads of this design type are closed cell foam or other. I know nothing about foam but I imagine there is a military grade foam or equivalent out there in the market that can be used. By that I mean non-absorbing, will always retain it’s shape even if pressure is left on it for an extended period it will rebound perfectly to it’s original shape, fire-prof or fire retardant, tear resistant, puncture resistant, abrasion resistant with a mat-finish would be my choice. Similar to this stuff. https://www.generalplastics.com/products/fr-6700

2 Likes

Amazon.com : Custom Recoil Pad “Gen 2” With/sight Pocket, Exclusively for the KT Sub2000 (Generation 2) Foldable Carbine. : Sports & Outdoors

The Generation 2 Sub2000 is now being released to the general public and the improvements

OK, I had not idea this was on the market, in US anyway. Flagged as not currently in stock. $35.00. I think this is what we have all been conceptualizing and fabricating off the cuff. I cannot find the product online. Next best I noticed on this site is from.
mitranoc
I have seen many different style recoil pads out there. I wanted to share this because it works great. I had this SOG pad on an original VLTOR Modstock laying around in a parts box. Found out that it fits the Gen 2 Sub 2000 very well, it’s snug, and it allows the carbine to fold.

IMHO I think I might try this out if I can source one and if reasonably priced. I like the idea of no drilling.
Cheers,

3 Likes

The ultimate solution is a replacement S2K stock piece designed to accept all standard AR butt pads (include a sling mount as well). I do not understand why someone has not already made one. It could be easily injection molded or, for that matter, some of our 3d printing experts could probably make it. The latter might have to be reinforced where the pin goes through. I do not know how strong/durable the material used is.

4 Likes

ME NEITHERER. I think I’ll modify a set of ten AR Buffer Tubes the hard way. I’m gonna order up the tubes tonight.

6 Likes

Got ya, I’m bookmarking here so that I don’t miss your post of the final product.
FYI your aware of the “Canadian Nightmare” if this changes the look that much that it looks like an AR it might quickly be added to the prohibited weapons list. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

@dred Save one of the finished products for me. :grinning:

4 Likes

One of the problems I have with external modifications is that they seem to invariably require modification or replacement of the foam inserts in various cases. And Kaizen foam is expensive.
Change your light. Modify. Add the optic mount. Modify. Change butt pad. Modify. Etc.

4 Likes

Had one of these and “sold” it to a brother for the price of shippping. The rubber is very soft and tends to tear out easily.

3 Likes

As a 20 year foam worker by profession, i hereby self proclaim Expert status… but i digress. :nerd_face:

A foam only product with no structure to the retention method is doomed, and most likely why that amazon product is no longer available. It may hold up to thousands of rounds, but not constant shouldering and rough handling, even carrying in a bag unsupported, would be traumatic to the foam. Also this is why Mcarbo’s version is so firm. They designed it 100% reliable. Zero possibility of foam or retention failure, but at a sacrifice to comfort. Its a tradeoff for sure. What i cant figure out logically is why they didnt make a short version to allow folding.

Yes there are plenty of closed cell foams available for use that are plenty durable, waterproof, and available in varied firmess/thickness. I have some trials in process for my design below which is a snap on kydex pc with closed cell Expanded PolyEthylene foam bonded to it.

I have more foam on hand than i know what to do with, most get tossed right in the dumpster after prototype orders get completed.
If i can just get to the range, i can finish testing, and i would be happy to mail foam out to brothers who cover postage, size and shapes can be customized too.
Or @ChrisNelson can distribute to brothers if i send him a big box full? The topic keeps getting more and more attention which may spark Mcarbo’s interest?

@Moosecall i have some of that stuff, its a rigid structural foam, very much like a replacement for wood.
@phuzzy42 yes the rubber is available in sheets, but usually not cheap.
@Dred sign me up for a tube!

P.S. We really should combine all these butt stock pad threads into one… :sunglasses:

4 Likes

The best I could find was https://www.atioutdoors.com. The Amazon site shows it as unavailable so I’ve sent an email to ATI Outdoors, asking if they plan continued production. Stay tuned.

1 Like