M*CARBO Brotherhood

M14 Rifle (and i need 15 characters)

The Army gave me an M14 rifle at Fort Bragg.

Other rifles were coming on line in VN, but I was not there.
It uses the standard NATO 7.62 mm.

At my unit, these were what the troops had. It is dependable and solid.

At Ft Bragg trained on that. I was one of three in the battalion to fire expert as most had no background as to guns. Most in my unit were from Philly.
This rifle fires automatic but as the mag is low count? One burst and you are empty.

This is a war weapon and excellent.
Like the M1 I had before this, it is on the heavy side, which relates to “solid”.

If you come across one, do not hesitate to pick it up.

11 Likes

@YardCrap

You could have titled this thread (M-FOURTEEN RIFLE,) however, your version gives it a ‘little’ character, don’t you think??? :grinning:

3 Likes

Love the M-14 tough , dependable, fire in any condition, dirty clean, lil heavy but I loved em. Lil History on em
www.nramuseum.org/media/940585/m14.pdf
see if that come out i aint that good at computer operation.

6 Likes

Ill provide a different viewpoint on the M14, I had an M14 set up as a DMR for a while in iraq and was not impressed. If I’d had the option, I would have gladly swapped the optic from my m14 onto an m16a4 (but the army didnt ask for my opinion at the time…)

Poorly suited to mounting magnified optics compared to more modern platforms (Mine didnt have the ebr chassis).

Accuracy didnt impress me. (To be fair though I mainly shot ammo delinked from belts for our m240s I saw maybe 2 boxes of Sierra match kings all deployment) at the ranges I was shooting 300-500 I’ve been issued m16s that were much more consistent (best m16 I ever was issued was an old beat up FN m16a2 I had while I was in HHT for a little while).

I’m not saying dont buy one, by all means pick one up if they appeal to you, but dont expect it to be the best rifle in the world for practical applications, it isnt (and arguably never was)

2 Likes

Given the choice (at the time) I would have taken the M-14 over the M16A1 hands down.

4 Likes

Pardon my ignorance @Chris19d what is DMR?
Thanks for your service. I appreciate it.

3 Likes

I love my M1A…It’s the civilian version…Makes me smile every time I shoot it.

3 Likes

:grinning:

@Captainjack88 not meanin to step on chris19Ds toes, but with us it ment “Designated Marksman Rifle” Anthony

4 Likes

Designated Marksman Rifle, a scoped rifle intended to be used as a squad support weapon organic to the squad. Intended to provide precision fire support to the squad at intermediate ranges, but not as capable as a proper sniper rifle.

5 Likes

This is an old weapon. To compare it to modern ones is ???
I think it to be very good.

4 Likes

When it’s still issued in small #s its valid to compare them to other issued weapons (especially when the ar10/15 family of weapons dates to the same period as the m14)

I stand by my statement that the m14 was a decent rifle back when it was first adopted (we would have been better served by adopting the FAL imo) and in the context I have most of my experience with the rifle, modern military operations, the m14 compares poorly to other in service options.

2 Likes

I went through Basic Training at Ft. Polk, Louisiana in 1969. We all qualified with the M14. The only ones who got to fire the M16 were guys going AIT and eventually Airborne training.
I really liked the M14 because it could reach out and touch someone, but, apparently it was just too heavy and awkward to be toting around in the jungle.
A retired 101st Airborne friend of mine did five tours in Iraq. He said the A4 was okay for clearing buildings and such, but the M14 was great equalizer when longer shots were required.
I think the M14 would be better suited for conflicts in the European theater were there is more open fields of fire.

5 Likes

I was issued an M-14 in the latter sixties and I fell in love with that platform. Yeah, they’re heavy, and a pistol belt with 6 mag pouches weighs a lot too. The M4 is a great platform however in 5.56X45 NATO it can’t match the max effective range of the 7.62X51 NATO. I have two civilian versions, one of which is a national match. I have shot the national match at 1.4 MOA with the match peeps at 100 yds. That was quite a while back however and my eyes aren’t as keen now. I still enjoy shooting it and the little SOCOM 16.

6 Likes