M*CARBO Brotherhood

M1 Garand Rifle

M1 Rifle

I believe the aim of many here is to have fun things to read and discuss.

I live in the best possible place in the USA.
It is a tourist trap, and most of my neighbors are snowbirds from up north. Most of them are OK, can’t blame them for moving here.

This past month a guy from California moved in.
He posted on Facebook he just got an M-1 rifle.

I did a web search on the M1 to learn a little.
I am familiar with the gun - some.
Back in the day “Clemson” was “Clemson A&M”.
ROTC was mandatory.
First day on campus they shaved my head and gave me an M1 rifle. All you ex-military understand how one of the main training things was cleaning the rifle (impossible). It was never clean enough no matter how one toiled. We had to be able to take it down and reassemble in the dark as ???. I know the gun inside out.

The M1 goes back to 1928 and was a hero in WW11.
General George S. Patton called it “the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
It came with an M5 bayonet.

It is 30-06, a round with power. Some say that is the upper limit of power that is tolerable to most shooters.

Before I go on, how many have had fun with the M1 or hope to?

13 Likes

This is a pic of my Match Grade M1 Garand originally issued early in the Pacific theater of WW2. It was rebuilt by the CMP as a National Match grade. Barrel, op rod, front and rear sights are all National Match. The manufacturer was Springfield Armory.

11 Likes

@YardCrap,
Check out this thread.
Military Weapons

6 Likes

I need to get the CMP process started (and work a little overtime to justify it) but an M1 is probably my next firearm purchase. Just a magnificent piece of history.

10 Likes

I saw one of these CMP M-1 rifles Friday. It was sharp, the stock looked perfect.

Plan you trip carefully if you plan on going. I have driven by hoping to go in but its always at the wrong time.

8 Likes

I have three rifles on my personal wish list, the M1 Garand is one of them.

7 Likes

Never have but wouldn’t mind a go on one. Always thought they were pretty cool and, like others have said, a great piece of firearm history.

6 Likes

I have a few Garands… They’re ok, I guess :rofl:

11 Likes

Nice collection!!! Probably my favorite rifle. The rifle that preserved freedom for most of the world. One of the most important pieces of history known to mankind.

7 Likes

I purchased a Springfield Armory Garand from the CMP a few years ago and enjoy shooting it, though it has been a while since we have been to the range with it. :+1: :us:

6 Likes

Just sent my paperwork into CMP, hopefully 4-8 weeks I’ll have a piece of American history, my own M1 Garand, America’s Rifle.

9 Likes

Congratulations! 17 18…(to make minimum required characters.)

6 Likes

Way to go @Jager

Anyone try to buy a Gov’t Colt 1911 from CMP?

5 Likes

I waited to long for the 1911’s CMP is no longer taking packets for them.

6 Likes

Walked into a gun store the other day and saw an M1 on rack. Ask to look at it and thought somebody really ruined a good rifle. Stock was poly finished and slick. It had all NM markings and again, thought someone screwed it up by refinishing stock. Price was OK so went ahead and bought it. Got home and noticed the letters “afpg” stamped in barrel near gas port. Started research and found it was an Air Force Premium Grade. Lackland armorers did refinish stocks in poly finish and this gun is correct. Talk about a good deal. I am now proud owner of one of the best of the best M1’s

12 Likes

@thapco Welcome aboard. Nice find, not many of those around!

7 Likes

Welcome to the Brotherhood @thapco. Why aren’t you playing the lottery then putting it all on black? :rofl:

6 Likes

Any of you guys have a reasonable idea of value. This M1 appears to be in at least 95% and as I said, all marks and modifications are correct . Dates, punch marks in lower stock, wood screws in stock end, Correct MOA sights. Ask gun store where it came from and he said guy brought it in on consignment and had found it under his dad’s bed when he passed.
I am seeing values from $4000 up to $7000

8 Likes

That value may be a little on the high side. it would have to have all matching serial numbers, all original parts, barrel and chamber gauge well within spec. It would pretty much have to be in like new condition. The only way to know for sure is to have it appraised by a REPUTABLE Garand armourer.

6 Likes

I have discussed with a very knowledgable collector and he has identified all parts as correct. Even identified the punch dots in stock as to armourer that date at Lackland… Rifle is in an estimated 95% or better condition and he did offer me a price for it better than I expected. Not wanting to sell at this time but was wondering about approximate real value. Bbl and chamber gauge like new range.
This gun I found out was issued to a shooter in AF and he kept it. When he left shooting team, he put it in a case under bed where it stayed for 20 years until he died. Grandson put it in gun store for consignment.

5 Likes