M1 carbine bayonet lug light mount?

I joined and follow this forum because I got a Sub2000 in .40S&W, love it, and have “M*CARBO’d” the heck out of it (awesome DIY videos)! But, since this IS the military carbine brotherhood, I thought I’d run this by you folks! I recently added an Ultimak rail on my (1943 Win.) .30 cal M1 carbine. I put a Trijicon ACOG dual illum. (fiber/tritium) sight on the rail (& Bradley cheek rest). Awesome results. Thinking of adding a light. I don’t use or have a bayonnet. Not really a collector. That lug intrigues me (prefer to not use a 45 or 90-degree offset mount on current rail, want it further forward if I can). Has anyone tried a KZ (Kley-Zion) 952488 Bayonet Lug Mount on a USGI M1 bayonet lug? It’s advertised and illustrated for AR-platforms. I DID ask Clyde Armory and Botach customer service and got conflicting answers (“No; they’re different” and “The KZ unit should fit the M1 lug.”). I realize I can just order it and see (20 bucks) BUT thought someone here’s already done it? (Custom Defensive Products makes a “BLAM” model that’s similar, but I’ve received no response there to same question.) Everyone is all about using the AR-15/M-16 bayonet lugs! (sigh) BTW, please no “keep it authentic” demands . . . NOT part of my query. I can always put it back to mid-20th century configuration in minutes – no permanent alterations to wood, etc.! These things shoot like a dream, btw.

3 Likes

The only difference between the M1 Carbine bayonet and one for the M16A1 series is the ID of the ring on the hilt which slips over the barrel/muzzle. The M16 has a larger ID.

3 Likes

Thanks Festus. If that’s true, then a few of the products I’m seeing SHOULD fit, as I’m only interested in whether the dovetail/groove of the adapter would slide over the M1 carbine’s lug (some appear to tighten w/ allen screws) . . . I didn’t know if the bayonet lugs on more modern firearms (AR15, M4, etc.) had a different footprint, width/height, etc. Believe it or not, while I have an M1 carbine, an LRB M25, and a Mini-14 ranch rifle, I don’t have an AR anymore!! I know. I’m backwards . . . Still would like a light on my old carbine. It certainly has a LONGER bayonet lug than the stubby newer lugs, which shouldn’t matter . . . ? I did note that the M1 lug has 3 “bump stops” on each side of its groove.

2 Likes

My apologies, I’m afraid I’ve sold you a bum steer. At my age I should know better than to rely on memory…as you can see in this photo, the lug for an M16/M4 is much wider that the lug for the M1 carbine (left in photo). The jaws will grip the lug, but it’s not a snug fit.

2 Likes

Hmmm. So I see! I suppose the only good news here is the modern adapter would still go over the older lug, but would require some kind of shimming or maybe selecting a brand w/ 2 allen set screws (or combining BOTH of those approaches)? The opposite case would not fit (old bayonet doesn’t look like it could even mount on the wider, modern lug). I’m gonna keep looking, but I may not be so lucky (and may explain my difficulty in finding said adapter for M1). I realize there’s always the offset pic rail approach, to say nothing of a universal barrel clamp (which I think I’ll just skip)! Thanks for your time, Festus!

2 Likes

You’re most welcome. The double set screw would be worth looking at.

1 Like

This topic WAS discussed in various places. Below is a link to a good example. The problem is
that discussion thread was 5 years ago. Yet NO ONE who talked about trying that KZ mount on an M1 actually followed up with their results! I can find plenty of examples w/ the AR15, of course. Maybe I’ll be the guinea pig! :slight_smile: I’ll probably try to adapt the modern rail (shim and/or tighten down) . . . but ultimately fall back to an offset pic mount. I’m skeptical the retrofit will end satisfactorily! Even after 25 years of law enforcement and even more years of shooting, I’m a relative newbie in military weaponry and alterations thereof. Still . . . this stuff is sure fun! Have a great weekend Festus and Friends. (anyone who’s already done this, feel free to jump in)

2 Likes