M*CARBO Brotherhood

M&P9 shield EZ,reliable? Accurate? Dependable?

Anybody out there have any input on this gun? I like the features,I ESPECIALLY like the EZ part of it! They nailed it for people like me,you hear me gripe ALOT,mainly because my arthritis is advanced roughly some 25 plus years beyond my age.thats y I dig the slide,THE MAG FEED ASSIST,the internal hamer/grip saftey works for me,I can engage it,where I can’t a an XD.and it’s larger than the shield with a rail.but how about the rest?

4 Likes

I just got my wife 1 and I like it, but it isn’t feeding reliably. Might need more brake in, I don’t know. I’m old school grew up shooting 686 357 magnum, cup and saucer grip! So not my cup of tea! I polished the feeding ramp and oiled it good. Got a little better. It’s good enough for me, but not her! I only need 1 shot and if for some reason I need more, I can clear up the problem quickly! She is is a big girl! I like em like that! So I just ordered her a s&w 40 regular size 15 round mag! Shoot them till it’s empty! Lol

7 Likes

If it has feeding problems, I’m going to get her a 686! My mom carried a nickel plated 686 with a 6” barrel forever! For me it comes down to, I want her to have reliability! So it only holds 6 rounds, so what? It’s practically written in stone, that the first six times she pulls the trigger, fire and death will come! That’s a lot better than having 15 rounds and it failing to feed the second or third round!

6 Likes

How many rounds did you put through it?

3 Likes

That would bother me not feeding right…i broke my GEN 4 G19 in with 350 rounds of wolf 115grn FMJ without cleaning it in one day and had 0 malfunctions…and that’s steel ammo

3 Likes

Can’t argue that logic!

2 Likes

I’m kinda crippled up so I can’t pull the mag and throw it at em!

1 Like

Put about 150 rounds they it. Like I said it’s getting better. Started out with about 1 problem a mag. Now it’s probably 1 problem in 2 mags. That’s with fmj. I’m afraid it would be worse with HP or something. Got some critical duty, haven’t shot any, but just sticking the mag in and pulling the slide, had 2 problems a mag.

5 Likes

Like I said, not really my cup of tea! Might just need a couple more boxes run tru it .

5 Likes

@Lurch
My wife has both versions, .380 and 9mm.
The 9mm runs like clockwork, no problems at all right out the box.
The .380 is a performance center piece and did have a feed issue with one of its magazines. It was intermittent and after 200 rounds or so the problem went away.
They are both a pleasure to shoot, my wife is petite and she has no trouble operating the slide on both guns.
So bottom line, I would recommend it particularly if hand strength is an issue.

4 Likes

My Son is a firearm snob who for years carried a 1911 style 45 caliber. I looked at the 9mm Shield EZ when considering a gun for my Wife and my Son decided to buy one for himself. He is extremely happy with it, has had no problems, and has made it his primary carry piece. My wife decided she did not want a firearm but if I were not so happy with my Ruger LC9s, I would seriously consider the EZ for my carry firearm.

5 Likes

Cool…good to know! I too was once a 1911 .45acp snob :laughing:

2 Likes

I got my wife one about a month ago. Other than adjusting the rear sights it worked perfectly. My wife loves it’s simplicity and recommends it to everyone. She’s almost put 1000 rounds though it.

7 Likes

I put a couple hundred rounds through one a while back while helping my mother shop for a pistol. I’m not a fan, for what it is (.380) it has a very snappy recoil impulse and is less comfortable to shoot than a number of subcompact 9mm pistols I’ve shot. The pistol also appears to be sensitive to fouling/gunk, how big a deal this is in real life IDK, my experience was with a high round count range rental pistol. IMO the pistol is under sprung, which contributes both to the snappy recoil and sensitivity to fouling, I did not get a chance to disassemble and inspect the range rental gun I shot but I would expect being underspring would contribute to excessive parts wear. Also, not a fan of the grip safety, I’d strongly prefer a good 1911 style thumb safety, or just a glock type safe action trigger. Accuracy was good, in line with other S&W pistols I’ve shot.Ergonomics were not bad, but it’s a lot of pistol to carry just to have 8+1 rounds.

3 Likes

Simmmmplicity.thats what they where shooting for.i get these danged ol congaungulated(like that word mountain hunter?) thumb&fore finger from the nerve damage in my stupid neck,compounded 10 fold below 60°,so this sounds like looking into for carry,I can’t even feel my Glock trigger sometimes because of the serrations,makes my finger loose fealing.

2 Likes

Well,I DO have to admit,I’m curious why put a grip saftey on a DAO internal hammer pistol in the first place? It makes sense on the 1911,but the more I think about it now Chris,this seems like a CYOA saftey…

2 Likes

'Cause it is SAO - EZ trigger pull.

6 Likes

DOH! duh…i’ve done done it again gorge😜

3 Likes

Exactly, the grip safety is lawyer bs, the intended market for the pistol, the elderly, females, and people with disabilities who aren’t exactly the type to practice regularly in most cases. So they wanted something a user isn’t going to forget to manipulate like a thumb safety, but they want an additional safety device to keep the corporate lawyers happy when someone has a ND.

6 Likes

I understood the initial question to be about the 9mm version and that is the one I commented about. I also shot the .380 and like @Chris19d found it snappy and unpleasant to shoot. The 9mm was a different story.

5 Likes