M*CARBO Brotherhood

M*CARBO RADIO: (What Are You Listening To?)

@GOBLIN I thought about posting wild wood weed. I have the original 45 of that.

A few oldies

And one not so old (but every bit as good!) If you EVER get the chance to see these guys-by all means GO-you’ll be glad you did!!!

Can you say speed bluegrass? Of course you can!

There are outstanding performances out there and I have had the idea of featuring a full show (1-2 hours) of an artist/band with some history, trivia, etc and a great performance or two with great audio/video.
@Boomchucker has given the ok to try the idea and see how it works so here it is.
I have chosen to try some Great American Songwriters as a first try. and Verlon Thompson as the first of three… Let us know what you think.

"Songwriters seem to flourish on the fertile Oklahoma plains. Woody Guthrie, Roger Miller, Leon Russell, J.J. Cale and Jimmy Webb.
Add Verlon Thompson to that list.

Thirty years as a professional songwriter and traveling troubadour serve as credentials. As a solo performer, and as the trusted sidekick of Texas Americana songwriting icon Guy Clark, Verlon has viewed the world from stages everywhere from Barcelona to Binger (his hometown in Oklahoma).

Along the way Verlon Thompson compositions have been recorded by Jimmy Buffett and Alan Jackson, Dierks Bentley, Anne Murray, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Kenny Rogers, Randy Travis, Del McCoury, Sam Bush, Trisha Yearwood and many more.

Equally important in his songwriting and live performances, Verlon’s guitar work cannot go unnoticed. His guitar can be heard on recordings by Restless Heart , Pam Tillis , and many more, including, and especially Guy Clark.

Verlon has co-produced Guy Clark’s Grammy nominated cd “Cold Dog Soup” as well as “The Dark”, “Workbench Songs” and “Somedays the Song Writes You”.

As the in-house musician for Genuine Human Productions (genuinehuman.com) Thompson scores themes and background music for documentaries and special film projects.

Verlon Thompson is currently on the road. Or in the studio. Or writing in his bunkhouse on the river in Tennessee…

…but never far from the fertile plains of Oklahoma."

Verlon has had songs recorded by…

Balladeers : Kenny Rogers, Anne Murray, Barbara Mandrell.
Bluegrassers : Del McCoury Band, Sam Bush.
Country Girls: Pam Tillis, Trisha Yearwood, Suzy Bogguss.
Country Boys: Dierks Bentley, Randy Travis, Joe Diffie,Tracy Byrd, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
Folk Troubadours: Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, Ramblin Jack Elliott.

here are two shows.

@SnuffySmiff that’s a great rendition of Seminole wind.:+1:

@jeffing65 Glad you enjoyed it-it’s actually remake or whatever it’s called according to the YT comments. It is every bit as good as the original.

The better half says I’m just too weird-as I like hard rock, old blues, and bluegrass, a little original country plus some Scottish tribal drum bands. (What can I say-it’s the Highlander blood in me!). I tell her oh well, as long as I like it, I’ll keep on listening!

Well, I reckon it’s a dead artist evenin’… as all of these are sorely missed!

Jeff Healey-he contracted a rare form of eye cancer, retinoblastoma before he was one year old. Blinded for life, he began playing the guitar at age 3 and was self-taught! He was discovered by Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert Collins. He succumbed to cancer at age 41…

Another loss-Tom Petty with his original band Mudcrutch does one of their best, Crystal River

Steve Marriott was considered one of rock’s greatest front men when he was with Humble Pie. Steve died tragically in a house fire. Some folks considered them a British version of the Allman Brothers. A bit long but this is one of the Pie’s very best tunes, IMHO

@SnuffySmiff There have been a good number of greats lost in recent years. Those are 3 great picks.:+1:
I saw Jeff Healey in Boise with ZZ Topp

This take has some great, up-close shots of him playing. It was remarkable seeing him playing live.

@jeffing65

Yep, he was one awesome bluesman! A lot of folks did not know about him before the movie Roadhouse but I had a couple of his early albums. Would have loved to see him live!

@SnuffySmiff He was awesome.
I have an unused ticket to the show I saw. It was an extra from one of my friends who ended up not being able to go.

seein’ as it’s Monday, how about some oddball clips

here’s a ‘twofer’ of Reverend Peyton and his Big Damn Band (all 3 members-HA!) featuring his wife Breezy on the washboard…

my better half’s favorite:

their new album Poor Until Payday has been nominated for a 2019 BMA award as “Best Blues Rock Album” and they’re about to kickoff a new North American tour-go see 'em if ya get the chance-they also put on quite a show!!!

and this here’s about the oddest of the oddball vids I’ve ever seen and Les Claypoole’s playing style on a bass is about as unorthodox as the Rev’s style of slide guitar!

how about a couple of firearm-related rock n’ roll tunes with a lil’ country thrown in

a shot of Gov’t Mule

Warren Zevon

a bit of Miranda

how about some real country music

with a little bluegrass thrown in

a bit of both…

smiley-scorpion

Here are some 1970 picks.
What concerts you see or songs do you remember listening to from the year 1970?

https://youtu.be/rKaQzQAlNn4