M*CARBO Brotherhood

M*CARBO RADIO: (What Are You Listening To?)

Three from Genesis.

5 Likes

Just like Jimi Hendrix!

4 Likes

And here’s some of his solo stuff.
@Boomchucker I’ll start this off with an intro for you JB.

This is from Phil Collins’s first solo tour in 1982. Recorded for The King Biscuit Flower Hour.

4 Likes

@Boomchucker
You can’t explain why spontaneous combustion is so funny to someone that doesn’t appreciate 11.

3 Likes

@cico7 Jimi is playing a right handed guitar left handed, but it is strung left handed. Isn’t it? The low E string is on top?
Eric Gales is playing a right handed guitar, strung for a right handed player, left handed. Low E string is on the bottom. It’s not re-strung, it’s just flipped over.

4 Likes

I know it’s not his stratocaster but this acoustic is strung for a left handed player.

4 Likes

It just occured to me, I haven’t posted a full show in a while. I had been thinking about some
“Doors” a few days ago, so How about a “Doors” show. :+1:

The Doors Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970. @Boomchucker There’s that 1970 again.

4 Likes

@cico7
@jeffing65

Jimi actually just played a right handed guitar left handed, but strung for a lefty. There are reasons why this isn’t a bad thing, some practical, some sonic (I won’t geek out on that now)…but Jimi did it out of practicality because lefty guitars are harder to come by and often more expensive to buy.

If you look at Doyle Bramhall II when he plays, he plays left (though sometimes with left handed guitars, sometimes right handed) but his guitar is strung for a right handed player. Apparently, when he started playing as young boy, the guitars around the house were all right handed, but being a lefty he felt more comfortable playing left and learned to play them literally upside down, so the low E wound string is where the high E would be (in standard tuning). As a result, it is very hard to transcribe his playing by watching his hands and the fact that his picking and strumming is pretty standard, the reverse stringing actually produces some interesting sonic nuances that are difficult to replicate.

4 Likes

Oh, ok. LOL I didn’t know or notice that about Doyle. I meant Eric Gales. He also plays that way.

3 Likes

Yeah, somehow I missed that you were talking about Eric…looks like someone needs to work on their reading comprehension… :crazy_face: Not sure why he does it but I suspect it might be for similar reasons to Doyle.

A little Friday NAMM jam for ya…

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s for the exact same reasons. Less LH guitars, ones around were strung right, the way you learn and see it would make sense and might be easier, if you learned that way from the start.
I know there is at least one other person that plays that way also. Can’t think of who.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s a great morning jam. :+1: Great bass player.

I’ll throw in a morning jam to go with it. It is Friday after all. :partying_face: LOL

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

@jeffing65 Check out this interview, around 6-7 minute mark he discusses the reason for his lefty playing. Even talks about his record deal at 15…

4 Likes

ya know jeff he cant play drums any more something wrong with his hands his son plays he sings now @jeffing65

3 Likes

@chilipepper That is a great interview.
Filled with tons of new, and very interesting insight.
Great post Dave! :+1::+1:

@hunter1916

Some form of debilitating arthritis, I would guess?

4 Likes

Right now, a oldie but goodie. Turn the volume up for this one. Been wheeling and listening to The Travelling Wilburys.

5 Likes

@Boomchucker Looks Like it might be A Bit88 for Open E Tuning: laughing:

4 Likes

Feeling nostalgic…BOC Live!

Buck’s Boogie

5 Likes