M*CARBO Brotherhood

M*CARBO Optic Mount Or Red Lion Front End?

I’m not sure when is ETA of the new MCARBO mount coming out. Any words?

Also, should I just jump on the Red Lion or wait it out? Tired of using the iron sights. Needs a mount. Thoughts? TIA.

2 Likes

@Cygee Wait till the new mount is released. If you don’t like the way it’s setup, then get the RL. We’ve all been waiting a long time for it.

4 Likes

@Cygee Just go ahead and throw a red dot on the upper pic rail and use that for the time being. The SUB2000 doesn’t always have to live folded when not in use. LOL In fact, that’s what I just did. Got a Holosun with a quick release mount. I can pop it off the top and stow it under the barrel in seconds if I do want to fold it.

4 Likes

+1
I have one with the red lion and one with the Holosun. You can flip the Holosun from the bottom to the top rail in the same amount of time it takes to rotate the red lion. I have a pistol scope mounted on the red lion and I think it works well for that. For a red dot, I think I’d wait for the Mcarbo.

3 Likes

@Tefkar I think you’re the one who convinced me to get the Holosun. It seems awesome so far. But, man, is that auto-on feature ever sensitive. I can just walk by the thing leaning against a door without touching anything and it comes on. I’ll be manually leaving it off. But, it does come on instantly with a push of either button. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve got the Red Lion on mine and am happy with it. Just make sure to use locktite on the rail screws or they will come loose within 150 rounds. Ask me how I am very familiar with that.

4 Likes

@Cygee, I would like to see an optic mount that folds out of the way so the S2K can be folded back. Much like the mount Midwest Industries makes for the S2K. But one that is compatible with a variety of optics.

1 Like

For those who have the red lion forend what are its pro’s and con’s? Does it work as advertised? Are you happy with it?

I am thinking of getting one if it can be quickly rotated. If it doesn’t then will go with KT forend.

Thanks!

1 Like

I tried the Red Lion Forend. It did not meet my 10 seconds from folded touch to punched hole standard. So, it was not fast enough for me. I’m back to factory plastic. I’m patiently waiting on the M*Carbo mount.

2 Likes

@Dred thanks Milt, that was what I was afraid of! I looked on their websight, pics do not show how the rotating/locking mechanism works and details on that key part were lacking.

If it takes that long then just go with a quick detach mount like @Wedge suggested.

Here is an idea for @ChrisNelson how about a collar with locking teeth pushed together by a coil spring? (Just push forward to unlock and rotate the entire forend).

1 Like

I’ve seen some pretty fast deployments in videos. Unfold, unscrew the collar, rotate forend into place, screw down collar, shoulder rifle and fire. Admittedly, I’ve never done it, but I’d bet good money I could do that in less than 10 seconds after minimal fam fire time using it. :grinning:

1 Like

@Wedge its the “screwing and unscrewing” part that makes me hesitate on this. Why not tabs that are pushed together by a coil spring that you could simply push apart, rotate, and let drop back in place?

No offense to the Red Lion owners out there but their solutions seem a bit on the complicated side…

2 Likes

I don’t know, but I could see an arrangement like that becoming “rattly” over time as the locking tabs wear. The spring is another wear point. You wouldn’t have that issue with a heavy duty threaded down collar like the RL forend currently has.

But, yes, it does seem like an overly complicated/heavy attachment for something as small and light as the S2K. If the MCARBO mount doesn’t work out, I’m sticking with the simple and direct Pic rail quick disconnect mount that came with my optic which has been working great for me so far. :+1:

2 Likes

I would not take that bet. I can do it under 10 seconds if everything is lined up nice. But mine is a “serious PDW” so I’m talking 10 seconds while my Greatest Hits Highlights Reel is playing max volume in Dolby stereo.

I know myself well enough to predict sending rounds without even bothering to align a forend - I just wouldn’t have sights and it’s likely I would be better of slapping a fresh mag into the M&P and dumping - 7 of those mags ready with the Sub 2k, so …

I view the decision to deploy the Sub 2k as an opportunity to trade a few seconds for enhanced target discrimination capability - E.g. bad guy with a hostage or other innocents down range where I would be unlikely to even fire a pistol.

2 Likes

I understand. And, yes, I could very likely lose that bet using one cold. As I said, I’ve never even messed with one. I’ve just seen some really fast deployments and it “seemed” like they could be done with a little practice. Again, all supposition on my part as I have no actual hands on experience with a RL forend, myself. :+1:

1 Like

not that complicated on the red-lion, at the time the only solution i had to a mount on my Gen 1.
positive locking, return to zero every time. see how it does after 2000 rounds… so far no issues at all. 10 second from folded to shoot on target? yea, i could see that. mines become so automatic, that as i unfold im indexing…

2 Likes

I have a 4x pistol scope on my Red Lion. When using Iron sights it’s unnecessary to rotate the fore end. You can just use the scope as a grip and shoot without any fuss. To me it’s the best of both worlds.

3 Likes

@Matt Well my season ended Saturday night…so its time for the final upgrades before I send my S2K off for cerakote!

I have considered the red lion forend but am discarding it due to weight and simply having features I don’t need for a comp gun.

I am seriously considering the KT aluminum forend, but I cannot find any data on weight? Also it appears to be folded and welded instead of a single piece?

Are there any problems with rail dimensions like the plastic forend?

3 Likes

I have the KT forend on my S2k. It is very lightweight, pic rails can be removed, no mounting or zeroing in issues. I recommend it. Not as long as the stock factory forend, couple inches shorter.

3 Likes

@Boomchucker I am not worried about folding this S2K. What about that welded fold in KTs picture? Also can you mount short rails vs full length?

Another option would be to keep the plastic grip and put a rail insert ala KSG on it…however with the crowning and narrowing of the S2K I doubt this would work!

Thanks for the info!

3 Likes