M*CARBO DINER: What’s For Eats? 🥩

I went to dinner with someone from India…whatever she cooked filled the house up with so much smoke I had to lay on the floor! They thought I was joking. Too much for me!

3 Likes

It’s seems soup can tell something about a candidate….

5 Likes

Not necessarily what’s for eats, but I’ve developed a serious beef jerky addiction since the spamdemic began.

4 Likes

I would say it’s spot on here. Are you referring to home made beef jerky?
So easy to make yourself, they have oodles of kits available to purchase and as many again you can make yourself. So easy, so easy. I used to make jerky in a Little Chief (or to be politically correct a vertically challenged native American commander) smoker and the best results were done in the winter when the colder temperature helped by extending the drying time allowing for a heavier smoke as the smoker didn’t really have an adjustable gauge. Brine the meat, wash, add spices, use lots of smoke, take out of smoker when still pliable and no moisture on them, turn half way and rotate shelves, bottom ones dry out quicker.

1 Like

Flank steak. (Almost frozen and then cut into thin strips)
Soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Powdered onion
Red pepper flakes
Fresh ground black pepper
Honey

Marinate over night, pat dry.

Cheap, non-treated furnace air filters. Arrange strips in valleys. Use one filter as a cap. Bungee to box fan. Time to dry will depend on the fan used.

4 Likes

@Festus
Wow you are way ahead of me, as always. LOL
I really like the air filter screen idea. LOL coincidence, just about 15 minutes ago I just changed the filter in the furnace, I like what your selling there, totally get the setup, somewhat brilliant idea, would never have thought of that setup.
And your recipe is very similar to mine, except the honey.
I haven’t made beef jerky in a while, maybe it’s time to revisit making some on the refurbished smoker I inherited.
Thanks for the tip!!! :+1:

2 Likes

I have to give credit where it’s due. I saw this on “Good Eats” many years ago. Alton Brown is the man.

3 Likes

All star.

BBQ with Bobby Flay had my favorite jerky recipe though. Wish i could remember it.

3 Likes

Made these the other night.
Honey-garlic pork riblets.
Came out OK.

6 Likes

Yesterday was a chance to try the my home made lox made with salmon from British Columbia, donated by a friend. Also some other goodies. Was very tasty.
Tonight having home made corned beef brisket.

8 Likes

Dessert:

fjb

11 Likes

@Slowest
Hey, those brownies are twice as thick as the ones I buy at the store. Nice job, they look delicious.

4 Likes

@Moosecall thanks.
:sweat_smile: Call me racist, but I always add extra chunks of Hershey’s king size Special Dark [chocolate] to spruce them up a tad.

8 Likes

@Slowest
The dark chocolate is apparently very good for you.
Great thing about brownies is you have a lot of wiggle room to add stuff lick more chocolate, nuts, fruit etcetera.

4 Likes

Fruit and/or nuts don’t belong in brownies

1 Like

@Savage636

I know but… Betty Crocker begs to differ with you. LOL

4 Likes

The higher percentage cacao is the stuff that is healthy. Expensive and not very tasty.

fjb

5 Likes

Yeah, once you get over 65%, it’s more bitter than anything.

4 Likes

Simple and warm today. Cream of Wheat with butter, honey and cinnamon…

5 Likes

Still working on it:
Sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomato, bacon…happy eggs are going on NOW:

How about tossing some greens, bread and butter in too?

DONE:

7 Likes