M*CARBO Brotherhood

Love my Mcarbo M Edition, but the locking pin on the M charging handle is a pain

if we’re talking aboit spring design, how about converting to a smoother action guide rod style instead of the inefficient wire tied method of the current design. I noted that the first time i charged the handled, it was obvious you can feel all the spring coils rubbing against the inside of the bolt. This is wasted friction, due to the spring lacking an alignment method to compress straighter, but would need a full functional design review to know what options exist.
That said, i would buy an MCarbo spring for sure if these two issues were addressed *hint @ChrisNelson :crossed_fingers:t3:

5 Likes

Another good suggestion…

2 Likes

A locking pin on the spring is an awesome idea. Not a fan of the pin due to the need to have an extra tool around (long screw driver) for reassembling. Not always convenient. Especially if you’re in the field.

4 Likes

I would be 100% in for buying a retaining pin recoil spring combo aswell. I’m tired of fiddling with that little piece of stainless steel.

4 Likes

@ChrisNelson You may want to look at this thread.

4 Likes

The only problem with this for Mcarbo is that the new locking pin would be centered - and possibly cone shaped - to make insertion easier into the handle. That would probably require another generation of Mcarbo charging handles, since the current one takes the locking pin that is raised from center. 'Not sure why it was designed that way, but there must have been a reason.

1 Like

Im not sure it matters that its offset, if it was attached to the end of the spring you could just twist it until it lines up. Thats the primary gripe it seems and wouldnt require a new handle design to resolve.
Why its offset in the first place, is something ive been wondering though.

4 Likes

100% Fact and thank you for the video showing that.

8 Likes

Thank you everyone who tagged me in this post. I really appreciate it and if you all need to tag me to get a response…please do! I get so much paperwork logistical BS to deal with on a day to day basis you would be shocked. I enjoy talking about guns and solving problems with them and if I could find a way to only do that I would love it! Unfortunately as we grow I get more new problems that come with a growing company…blah, blah…my life sucks…you get the point! Haha.

14 Likes

First of all…thank you everyone who voiced your constructive fixes/ideas to this painful process. It got all of our attention and we started working on it 6 weeks ago.

So to answer this question/problem I think everyone is going to be happy to hear that we’ve got a improvement in the works!

Replacing the individual pin with an integrated pin/cap replacement that locates onto the recoil spring. This will require removing the factory cap on one end of the factory recoil spring.

The disssembly/installation process will be very similar to this for the AK-47 recoil spring. https://youtu.be/nh2k1A3Mm7k

17 Likes

@ChrisNelson

Thank you, Chris for hearing us out and addressing this problem. It is the only issue I’ve had with the M edition, and makes me hesitate when it comes to cleaning time.

Whatever you release as an improvement, please make it reassemble as simply and foolproof as humanly possible!

Purely out of curiosity, is there a reason why the locking pin and pin hole on the current M charging handles is not centered, but top mounted?

Thanks again for the great work you and the Mcarbo team do every day.

3 Likes

@ChrisNelson

Thanx for the update. I’m stoked that a fix is in the works. That’s why I love your company.

3 Likes

I have the original recoilless charging handle with no locking pin and it looks and works fine…just sayin.

3 Likes

I’m really stoked to learn about this!

2 Likes

@dave67

But they don’t make them anymore. My double finger CH didn’t have it, worked fine. But when I decided to switch to the recoilless CH, it does. So the peeps who don’t have a choice, a better option on this pin would be great. I thought they worked fine before myself too. But without the pin, probably gonna fall out sooner or later.

4 Likes

@ChrisNelson

Chris, I know much has happened in the last month, but 'just thought I’d check in and see if there are any new developments in the improved locking pin assembly under development. Thanks!

1 Like

My recoil spring doesn’t have a plastic cap, Hmm. I ordered the extended charging handle from M*Carbo and it helped me a lot as the stock one made it a real pain the rack the gun ,for me anyway. I added the new handle and it was awesome. But to replace , for cleaning or ? the pin is a real pain , however Im getting better at it. I use a long thin screw driver a pen light and hold my lips just right.LOL

5 Likes