M*CARBO Brotherhood

Love me some NHL Hockey

Start of hockey season tonight for my Blackhawks! While its just pre-season Hockey, its hockey none the kess. Love this time of year for CFB and Hockey. Gives me something to look forward to with 6 months of winter fast approaching

If you watch the NHL, whats your favorite team?

3 Likes

@d.kaufman2154

Hey Don ,
Redwings!!!
Sharks are cool too, since I live near San Jose.
My daughter got hockey scholarship for college at St. Kate’s in St Paul/ Minneapolis, MN. She played on the all girls Jr. Sharks travel team.

5 Likes

Awesome on your daughter getting a hockey scholarship. Thats badass!

My Niece works with the Phoenix Coyotes organiztion in media relations

3 Likes

I keep saying I’m going to get back into watching the NHL, I lost interest when my whalers moved away, (it’s the only major league sport where the athletes are still for the most part decent people) but just like I’ve been saying for years I’m going to get back into fishing but neither ends up happening.

4 Likes

My preferred sport (though I am taking to a bit of rugby lately).

Pittsburgh. But I’m a fan of the game and like a good match up…and will support any team playing against Philly or Jersey. Having said that, as a now 7 year resident of MD, I’ve taken to watching a bit of the Caps and was glad to see them finally get a cup. Hands down one of the best regular season teams for at least the last 5-6 years and they choked every post season, usually against the Pens.

3 Likes

The only time i miss a hockey game is if its a friday or Saturday night and the weather is good for a bonfire.
Its by far my favorite sport with CFB a close second.
Dont really pay much attention to the other “Pro” sports at all, especially with the way they are becoming Political

3 Likes

Grew up in Pittsburgh, so a Pens fan here. Living dead in the middle of Flyer country now. That’s not difficult at all. Lol

3 Likes

I haven’t owned a TV in 10 years (something I take a bit of guff about for some reason) and to be honest, the only thing I miss is hockey. Aside from food when I don’t feel like cooking, it’s the only reason I still go to bars at my age. I listen to a lot of games though it’s not the same without Mike Lange calling them.

3 Likes

@Jperr Sorry to hear about this, I understand and feel your pain. Philly is the only city that sees fit to destroy itself every time one of it’s sports teams wins a championship…I never understood that one…

3 Likes

My dad was a huge Penguins fan. He grew up in Johnstown, PA.
How the H E Double hockey sticks did Philly ever get the nickname “City of Brotherly Love” anyway. Like mentioned above, they have a team win a championship and the whole city is turned upside down

2 Likes

Not really. Philly gets a bad rap. Yes, they have some ignorant fans. But when the Eagles won it all 2 years ago there were really not any problems. Maybe some public drunkenness. But no real trouble. And I really don’t like to defend this city, but true is true. If you come in from out of town, they can be real jerk offs. But destructive behaviour, not really.

3 Likes

California Wave PWA here…we plan to beat you guys at Caha :wink: . Is your team going to the Silver Stick Tournament? Your Sharks PWAA team got dropped to A, so that’s who we will play.

2 Likes

@johnK welcome to the brotherhood

Whoa there John, easy now. :v::v::v::v::v::v:
My daughter is 31 now, pregnant with my first grandchild, she still straps on her skates and slaps a puck around with her husband back in Roseville MN.
In fact her jr year at St Kate’s she changed her hockey scholarship to a Academic scholarship because she felt hockey was getting in the way of her study’s. She is a PA now and helps me with all my ailments.
I’m flying out to she her on Friday then again in November when the baby is do.

But good luck at Caha and Silver Stick :v::v::v::v:

3 Likes

@d.kaufman2154 Redwings! Fun fact: The birthplace of professional hockey? Houghton, MI. Take a fall color tour “U.P.” there and stop by Dee stadium to take in their “History of Hockey” exhibit.

4 Likes

@chilipepper

Dave

That is way cool :v::v::v:
I went 18 months without hooking up a TV.
Read books :v::v::v:

3 Likes

My Hawks play your Wings tonight and tomorrow. Go Hawks!

2 Likes

She’s 31?! Lol and I’m talking about Pee Wee A. Hockey is the best sport for a girl and education. True Fact scholarships are only offered the most to girls for…hockey and fencing. Obviously we picked our sport well. If she’s in MN, she’s the real deal! Tell her thanks for paving the way for the next gen of girl players!

3 Likes

Hawks can’t fly w/o their "Wings":exclamation:Go D!:ice_hockey::innocent:

4 Likes

@johnK

:v::v::v:Thanks John
She watched hockey with me growing up in Minden, NV … asked if she could play hockey. NV doesn’t have much of a hockey program. Started with roller hockey, then they built a ice arena at Lake Tahoe and started a league. Three teams, three girls tried out. Put a girl on each team. Then girls were a little bigger than boys at that age. She played defense and when the boys would set up in front of the net she would just knock them down :v::v::v:
Things changed, boys got bigger, just skated around her. Ha ha. Took video of her playing and tried out for Sharks Jr All Girls team and made it!!!
Drove her to San Jose every weekend for years.
The rest is history.

Good luck with yours, I mean it​:v::v::v:
Hockey is a great sport :v::v::v:
Your welcome
Happy shooting

Captainjack88

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been told I’m “weird” and I’m often asked “well, what do you do then?” when people find that out. I really don’t miss it, save the aforementioned hockey. While cable did exist when I was in my teens, my father was not interested in spending the money and we were encouraged to do other things than watch it. With only three channels to choose from (including public broadcast), there really wasn’t much point anyway. What’s worse is, I grew up closer to Philly than da 'burgh and the local channel only aired Flyers games on rare occasions…tough digs for a hockey fan. Did see a fair number of Hershey Bear games live back then, amazing how slow the AHL play was back then.

I have started reading more books since, especially in the past 3 or so years since I picked up a kindle, great little device.

3 Likes