M*CARBO Brotherhood

Lou’s Ruger 10/22 Build

Hi Everyone,
Im building or heavily modifying my first rifle. A Ruger 10/22. I wanted t share my build and progress along the way for others that maybe are interested in doing the same or close to. Everything is preference and also getting quality parts. I’m going to start out with the Ruger standard barrel and see how straight it shoots and if its a good shooter then I may have it threaded and eventually throw a suppressor on it too.

Dicks or Cabela’s
Ruger 10/22 Optic Ready Model = $179
TAX = $14

Brownells
Magpul Hunter X-22 stock OD Green = $125
Brownells Shipping = $5

Kidd Innovative Design
KIDD Bolt Buffer = 5.95
KIDD SS Bolt Handle Charging Assembly With Guide Rod & Springs = $29.95
KIDD Scope Base for factory Ruger® 10/22® receiver Black = $32.95
KIDD Receiver Pins = $6.00
KIDD Pull Weight Tuning Spring Kit = $7.50
KIDD Magazine Latch Plunger Stainless Steel = $9.50
KIDD Magazine Release Levers-Interchangeable System Black = $34.95
KIDD Shipping = $5

TOTAL about: $455

12 Likes

@louie088 Sounds like a awesome build. You may be interested in this, CST Gen 2 Bolt I don’t know the compatibility with the Kidd parts.

9 Likes

Very nice! My boy has a take down model that we want to upgrade but I still need to send it back to Ruger to get it looked at! It has major stovepipe problem!

10 Likes

@69Goat Dang that stinks! On a good note Ruger is usually very accommodating and has great Customer Service! Hope yinz get that figured out.

9 Likes

@Festus Definitely going to look into that… Kidd has really nice Bolts, would probably go with that anyway just to keep it consistent. I have another 10/22 though so still may check this one you recommend out.

11 Likes

To the best of my knowledge, the CST is the only bolt that will do the last round hold open, with OEM mags in the 10/22.

11 Likes

@Festus that sounds interesting!

9 Likes

Works like a champion, installed one in my wife’s 10/22.

10 Likes

Ive been thinking about a 1022 build for a while myself. Any particular reason you want to start with a built rifle instead of a bare reciever from. Brownells or another supplier?

9 Likes

@Chris19d Yes! LGS wanted $35 for transfer and I read reviews on Brownells site about fitment issues and I figured for $179 I’m getting allot of extra parts I would still need that I don’t intend on replacing / upgrading right away. Like the bolt and barrel. So a few reasons. I could have started with a receiver but would go with KIDD vs Brownells

8 Likes

That makes sense. Hadnt hears about the issues with the brownells recievers but hadnt really looked too much yet either.

8 Likes

@Chris19d I think allot of it has to do with the coating they use on the receivers inside and out? It has some pretty tight tolerances and with the coating people struggle with things like the barrel and bolt installs, not all but some. Im sure all you have to do is take a very small of material out via sanding to get things to work but my luck Ill get a horrendous one and pay $35 FFL fees twice to replace it and then be up shit creek. lol. :sob:

8 Likes

Nice job on yours. Here’s one I built a couple years ago. Started with a receiver and stock bolt from a badly neglected 10/22 I bought at a gun show for $60.

From Volquartsen came the following parts

TG2000 trigger group (added a few months ago)

Firing pin

Recoil buffer

Extended Mag release

Competition bolt recoil rod & spring

Extractor

Then I bought a
Green Mountain .920 bbl

All mounted in a
Archangel adjustable stock

Topped with a
BSA 6x24x50 scope but can’t remember what rings or mount I used. I think my total cost was around $600.

9 Likes

@Biganimal

Very Nice Sir!
Was you $600 cost with the scope included?
Seams like you got a really nice gun and selected some quality parts for sure!
And that optic is serious! You could shoot the wings off a fly with that thing!!!

8 Likes

Love my 10-22’s.
The Charger is my favorite though.

10 Likes

@dave67
I like that brace!!
How does the Bushnell red dot perform?

7 Likes

@dave67
Thanks for the information.
I really like the look and practicality of the folding brace, may have to change mine up!
Good to know the the Bushnell is reliable, I see them all the time at the LGS for reasonable money. I’ll have to pick one up.

6 Likes

@AV8R Just a thought…rather than buy a new SB Tactical FS1913 pistol brace (polymer $160, aluminum $200 from Midway USA) and an M1913 interface adaptor ($50 from Farrowtech, $55 from Copper Custom Armament) install one of these SB Tactical Buffer Tube Folding Adaptor to fold what you have? Opticsplanet has them for $95. The only downside is that it might not fold as flat against the stock as the SB Tactical FS1913 arm brace.
opplanet-sb-tactical-buffer-tube-folding-adapter-2-position-btfa-main opplanet-sb-tactical-buffer-tube-folding-adapter-2-position-btfa-av1

8 Likes

@dave67
That’s a nifty adapter, didn’t know those were out there.
I have another build I could use my current brace for or I could sell it to a buddy.
I’ll take a look at the folding brace options although I like the idea of the aluminum brace.
Many thanks for all the information!

8 Likes

That adaptor is cool pricey but cool @dave67

Both of those chargers are awesome too! @dave67 & @AV8R

-Lou

6 Likes