M*CARBO Brotherhood

Lordy, what have I done? Kel-Tec related

I never got the followers in after getting it back together because I didn’t have them yet. I am not going through that again until things come apart by hand easily, if they ever do. I figured it should run just fine with the stock followers for a first-fire function check/run. I looked at the MCARBO followers and they look fine. They should work great AFTER I get a perfectly running KSG12 stock, if I ever do.

6 Likes

@Wedge I know you probably don’t want to hear it but if it ain’t running 100% when you get it back I’d get rid of it.I have a S&W M&P 12 ordered and if it doesn’t run right from the jump I’ll not waste anytime on it. I have too many others that shoot flawlessly to waste time on stuff that won’t run.

6 Likes

I hear ya. Mine’s so FUBAR’d that I’m hoping it’s just a fluke basket case and they destroy it and put my old serial number on a brand new KSG12. They’ve done that for me before in the past with a P3AT. That was another disaster of a Kel-Tec firearm. LOL

5 Likes

@Wedge If you can get your money back you might want to consider the S&W. I’ve seen the promo& reviews and they claim it will run mini shells while Keltec doesn’t claim theirs does.S&W also seems to allow for easier clearing of jamb shells.And I’m willing to bet it will function more reliably than the KSG.
I preordered from Brownell and got it discounted @ $999.+tax

6 Likes

@Wedge Let us know what Keltec says & does.
I wouldn’t change out the followers if your gonna take it back from them until you test it and decide your gonna keep it. You don’t want them blaming you for incorrect after market installs.

5 Likes

Yeah, I know. That’s why I said above that I have the MCARBO followers, but I haven’t installed them yet. I wanted to see if it would run with everything stock first, but… LOL

4 Likes

Well, I’ve been working with an awesome KT employee via email and she sent me a free FedEx shipping label. I didn’t know they did that. I had to pay shipping to them every time except for the Gen 2 S2K barrel recall. I’ll get it in the mail tomorrow.

6 Likes

@Wedge From what you experienced with it the best outcome should be a replacement & hopefully it runs great.The thing that suprises me is with the hit & miss reputation the KSG has is that they don’t run 20 rounds or so through it before shipping.
I’d bet that if the S&W 12 runs reliably it will take significant market share from Keltec.It’s an incredibly fun platform,IF it runs!!!

6 Likes

The lady I’ve been emailing at Kel-Tec said their current turnaround time is three weeks. Not great, not terrible. SIG was ONE day. They seriously checked my pistol in, test fired it, fixed it, test fired it again and it was in the shipping department that evening to go out the next day. Total door-to-door turnaround was less than a week!

7 Likes

Anxious to hear how this ends up for you.
On another note,I’m on my way to my FFL. I ordered Keltec M series Sub 2k on tues from MCARBO with 2 extra addons plus they offered to pin the muzzle brake for free.It has arrived in 3 days net.

7 Likes

Well, hot dang. Hope you hear back soon.

5 Likes

Thanks. They got it yesterday and, hopefully, will start working on it until Monday. They said the current turnaround time is three weeks, which isn’t so terribly awful. And, welcome to the forum! :+1:

4 Likes

Well, I have to hand it to Kel-Tec. They just got my KSG last Friday and I got an email with tracking saying it was being shipped back to me already. I just got notice of a work order being started and completed yesterday. They replaced a bunch of stuff, “serviced the chamber” which I guess is a polish and test fired it with no issues. Can’t believe they fixed it in a day and the very next business day after receiving it. Great job by Kel-Tec! Now, I just have to make sure it actually works. :+1:

6 Likes

Let us know how it runs when you get it back. Been thinking about getting one myself but have heard other stories like yours. Been waiting to see if they get the bugs worked before I plunk down the cash on one.

4 Likes

Will do! It’s a pretty simple design, so it shouldn’t be hard for them to get it running well. They replaced the whole bolt assembly, so that gets me a new firing pin which (hopefully) should fix the light strike issues I had. It also includes a new extractor, so that along with the chamber servicing, should fix the failures to extract issues. They replaced a bunch of other parts related to the magazine tubes so, hopefully, that fixes the issues I had with loading shells and getting them to release and pop into the loading gate when the slide is racked back. Interestingly, they also replaced two missing mag stop actuator screws. Not sure what those do, but that means they weren’t even installed in the first place or they fell out during my first shooting session because I didn’t mess with anything like that. I’m sure that definitely caused problems, too.

5 Likes

And, they also replaced the barrel extension, which is the part that slides into the metal receiver cover. Hopefully, that fixes the problem with not being able to separate the mag tubes from the barrel assembly so I can get my nice MCARBO anodized aluminum followers installed easily.

5 Likes

@Wedge You think it’s best to put few drops of oil & run it before you clean it etc?. That way you’ll know for sure it’s running right from the start

4 Likes

Probably not a bad idea. I’ll clean and lube it when I get it back because, in my experience, guns are never cleaned when they come back from the factory after test firing.

But, I will say that a pump shotgun should still run just fine completely dry. Maybe not as smoothly, but it should still function 100%.

7 Likes

Any tool (firearm,engine,etc…) that has metal on metal reciprocating, needs at least some lube. IMHO.

3 Likes

I agree, but a limited session of something being “shucked” by hand a couple of times a minute at most isn’t equitable to something running thousands of RPMs for hours and hours on end with an ICE.

4 Likes