M*CARBO Brotherhood

Lordy, what have I done? Kel-Tec related

Well, apparently, I got a wild hair up my butt and decided to order a Kel-Tec KSG12 shotgun. It should be at my local FFL on Friday. It’s just so cool looking/designed and I’ve always wanted one ever since they first came out, but my policy is to NEVER jump on a new Kel-Tec design. They always need time to iron out the kinks and the KSG12 definitely had some. Well, it’s been out for 10 years now (I honestly forgot all about it until recently) so, hopefully, mine will run great like my S2K G2 did. Just hope I didn’t get myself into another crappy firearm situation…again… LOL

19 Likes

@Wedge
Here’s to hope :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

12 Likes

I think everybody here has dealt with buying because of cool factor once or twice ok ok maybe a dozen or so times. Sometimes they meet or exceed expectations which makes them even cooler. And then some times there duds. Luckily with firearms even with the duds there is allways someone that will take them off your hands.

10 Likes

Or, it will go back until they make it right…

8 Likes

I hope this doesn’t hurt but S&W just released a KSG clone.
Look up the S&W M&P 12. Really cool, but very expensive.

@Wedge
All I’ve seen lately suggests the KSG is very fit and reliable.
You should be very happy with the purchase.

13 Likes

Here’s my KSG with Highlight TGL20 grip /extended tube selector switch/ various other comfort features & I changed to the red anodized followers.It runs great.

8 Likes

I just ordered that same cheek rest and the red aluminum followers from MCARBO last night. I also ordered the barrel nut tool so I can get to the mag tube caps. I had to use a plastic mallet and beat the ever livin’ shit out of mine to get the tubes to separate from the rest of the shotgun. The back part of the tubes where it fits into the stock is WAAAAY too tight and it’s a common problem when I did some researching. But, I was enlightened by watching Chris’ video last night and it turns out that if you remove the pic rail and the barrel nut, that whole plate at the front comes right off after you unscrew the two magazine screws. That would be much, much easier for mine. Just hope I can get that barrel nut off easily, though. LOL

4 Likes

The one problem I’ve found with mine (so far) is that one of the magazine tube followers will stick pretty hard after racking through a tube of dummy rounds. It takes a lot of force to pop it back down and free it up. I’m really hoping the metal followers fix that issue.

4 Likes

Has our quota of likes been reduced without prior notice? They sure do seem to run out a lot quicker for some reason. I’m now back to 7 hours before a reload!

Anyway, me likee that shotgun-very much! Wonder if they’d take a Beretta 1201 as partial trade?

5 Likes

Not sure on the likes, Snuffy, other than I do know they’re limited. Once you run out, I think you just have to wait a while and then they get reloaded. As for a trade-in, that would depend on your individual gun store and what they’d give you for it. Kel-Tec won’t do it because they don’t sell firearms directly to the public.

5 Likes

@Wedge When you see the stock followers you’ll probably laugh.I recommend cleaning the mag tubes 100%,then I’d use a mop with CLP or other lube in each tube.It really helps with shell feeding.
Mini shells are hit & miss especially if you short stroke it. I also found that using dummy rounds or unloading shells caused small imperfections when ejecting and caused problems feeding when those shells were loaded again

4 Likes

I’ll bet. That’s what I intend to do. I’ll clean up everything well and use some dry lube in the tubes and on the springs. I have a feeling the issue is caused by the stock plastic followers deforming under pressure.

4 Likes

Today at my buddys range he offered me $1,500. for my KSG pictured above that also included a Peak hard case.All tricked out I came out even.I’m gonna shoot the S&W M&P12 when he gets it in soon and if I like it I’ll buy it.I will only buy it if it feeds flawlessly & has no issues feeding mini shells.Otherwise I’ll rely on my Benelli Supernova Tactical with pistol grip that is a real sweet shooter.
What I really want is a Tavor TS 12 but not allowed in NJ

5 Likes

I really enjoy shooting my KSG.

11 Likes

Good lookin shotty. And welcome to the forum.

8 Likes

Wedge,
I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. I have several hundred rounds through mine without any problems.

9 Likes

Thanks. I hope to have the same experience as yours. Just need to find the time to get it out in the desert and actually shoot it!

6 Likes

Finally got it out today and nothing but problems. I get double feeds left and right, which requires field stripping to clear. The fired shell gets left in the chamber and won’t extract. Completely unacceptable for defensive use. And, yes, I’m running the slide hard. I have a Magpul VFG on it so I can really rack it. I also had FIVE light strikes in 50 rounds of two 25rd boxes of Winchester Game Club Target load in #8 birdshot. Perfectly fine, name brand new ammo, so nothing weird going on there. They should have fired fine. I kept them and I’ll bet my Mossberg 500 will fire them first time, every time.

I also had issues with the magazine tubes. Sometimes, I’d load a couple of shells in a tube and the next shell would jam up and couldn’t be pressed all the way in no matter how hard I tried. Also, when racking the slide back, sometimes a shell wouldn’t get spat out of the tube into the loading gate area. Not even the manual release levers you’d use to manually unload the tubes would release the top shell. Again, completely unacceptable.

I figured something was wrong from the get go when I first field stripped it. I could not separate the mag tubes from the barrel, per the instructions. The mag tube screws at the front were loose and free spinning so I know I got them all the way out. I could not pull the two assemblies apart for anything even though the take down videos I watched showed them coming apart easily with just hand pressure. I think my KSG12 is somehow tweaked/out of spec overall causing it to be a total failure. But, Kel-Tec… What are you going to do? I thought maybe I’d get a good one since my S2K Gen 2 was so good, but NOPE! Thanks a pant load, George. I already submitted a trouble ticket on-line, but I’ll also be calling about it tomorrow and sending it in so I can wait 10+ weeks to get it back like I did with my S2K for the barrel recall. :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

@Wedge Well that sucks. Is this after you installed the new followers?
If it won’t run it ain’t worth a damn.Hopefully they make it right.
Be careful that the foregrip is really secure especially when your pissed with a poorly running gun. You definetly don’t want it coming off when racking hard & blowing your fingers off like happened to that guy on youtube.

8 Likes

Damn man, sorry bout all the troubles.

8 Likes