M*CARBO Brotherhood

Looking To Buy 1st AK, What Do I Need To Know?

As the title suggests, I’m looking around at different AK’s and I’m looking to purchase one. Looking for the when shit hits the fans kinda thing, but I don’t wanna over do it. Realistically I want one with a folding stock, obviously reliable and chambered in 7.62×39. I want one life can depend on; hopefully it never comes to that.

With choices from rifle dynamics, arsenal, and century arms. Where is the point of relabiliy playing field is evened out? Are they all pretty much the same, or you get what you pay for kinda thing?

3 Likes

AKs have gotten so expensive these days. More than a decent mid-range AR. Honestly, I’d just build an AR with a 7.62x39 upper. Much more flexible platform. The reliability between a good AR and AK is virtually the same. IMO, an AK won’t be any better for SHTF and, in this country, AR parts will be much easier to source. Easier to fix, too. For example, if a riveted together AK decides to require front end separation from the receiver or a buttstock replacement, that’s going to be tough to do versus removing an AR upper or pulling off the buttstock.

4 Likes

A while back i was looking to get an Arsenal SAM7SF or a Benelli M4. Totally different I know… AK and shotgun… But the Arsenal has a milled receiver and a folding stock. It was nearly difficult to find bad reviews on either back then. When the heck did AK’s become this expensive…

3 Likes

@Pew_Ding I think Wedge has some good points with the AR but I would also look at the Ruger Mini 30 that also shoots a 7.62x39 and there are some different stocks available for the Mini 30 as well. I picked mine up for $599 in stainless.

4 Likes
 I looked a long time before deciding on a Century C39V2. It has a milled receiver, from a 14 lb block of metal. Also has the Magpul Zhukov stock and fore end. The stock is also foldable. Excellent quality, I showed it to two guys I now work with who are former Army with experience in Iraq and Afghanistan and lots of exposure to AK's. Both said it was the best built AK they had ever seen. They typically run about $950.00, but after a few tries on Gunbroker.com I got one for the winning bid of $630.00(new in box). Of course, as it is with all of my guns, it's not exactly stock anymore. Added Magpul AFG2, .50 cheek riser, Hogue finger groove grip, Sig Romeo 5 red dot and Sig Juliet 4 magnifier. Most of those accessories for very good prices through Primary Arms.
1 Like

Long gone are the days of a $300.00 WASR 10. Better off with an AR.

2 Likes

@Pew_Ding You could go the DYI with an 80 percent kit

https://ak-builder.com/

1 Like

@dave67

I wanted a Ruger Mini 30 for a long time. I even worked at Ruger in Arizona for a bit. However, I eventually learned some things about the Mini 30. They are known for being inaccurate after a few rounds down the pipe. The barrel heats up too much. I have nothing against Ruger. I love my 10/22 Takedown.

I have a Century Arms RAS47, so I do know a little about AK’s.

If money is not a concern, the way to fly right now is the Arsenal AK’s made in Bulgaria.

1 Like

If you want a tiny little bullet, at least in the .223 caliber. :wink:

1 Like

I’m happy with mine for the price, but the Bulgarian ones are better.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of .223 / 556 NATO.

1 Like

The ammo is super cheap and brand new South Korean military steel 40-round mags are $10 a pop all day long. :sunglasses:

You need to decide between a stamped or a milled receiver. The milled ones are better, but they cost more.

1 Like

My AK was made in Vermont (almost completely.) :sunglasses:

1 Like

1 Like

Most AR’s with 7.62x39 uppers are notoriously unreliable. It’s not an easy conversion, and most of them don’t work very well.

2 Likes

If you want an AK, don’t buy an AR converted to 7.62x39. Buy a real AK.

2 Likes

The Arsenal Bulgarian milled ones are the best if money is no object.

1 Like

7.62x39 rocks! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I love my AK. :wink:

2 Likes