M*CARBO Brotherhood

Long Range Accuracy

That’s how they get big and stay alive…the “not getting shot” bit is critical… :wink:

5 Likes

@chilipepper Yep. And they know that. LOL All to well, they do. They hang in the big rocks up high along the bottom of the cliffs, where if you ever see and can “somehow” get to them, they know where to slip right over the top in a few steps. (They were going that way anyhow :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:)
And even out in the flat rolling little pockets of sagebrush, lava rocks, and shallow, sandy draws. Have had many big buck jump within 25 yards of me (in or out of the jeep), run over the rise out of the draw 100 feet from them and me, and by the time you can run or quickly jam up the hill to the top in the jeep and stop, they will never be seen again.
Across an area a mile++++ in every direction from that high spot can be scanned with binos and ?? to no avail. They vanish like a &$&^ puff of smoke. That gets “very” old after a bit.LOL. Especially when you see the same… HUGE!!! non-typical antlered one 3 years in a row, and no one ever got the slightest chance of a shot. (it had to died of old age)

5 Likes

@jeffing65 Worst Pack Out in my life! was ‘‘South of Hailey ID’’ Opening Day with a Friend, Pretty much same Specifications For the Hunt From Hell’ :rofl: But we sure got the looks from people coming off the hill with the Monster over the hood of the VW bug.

6 Likes

@DivaMarie Hahahahaha…Yeah, after the hell is over and you get to enjoy the rubbernecking, pointing, and stunned looks, it begins to be worth it.
Especially out in that area. I’ve Elk hunted a lot along Timmerman and the Picabo Hills, South of Silver Creek and Hwy 26 in the controlled area, but everything north of 26, east, west and all the way to Hailey is some tough findin’ and gettin’.
You can do a whole lot of hunting and hard miles out through there and not see a thing.

Nothing better than a 40 point buck on a bug. Hahahahaha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :deer: :bug: :red_car:

P.S. That is an “Opening Day”, 40 point buck on a bug. Once again, Hahahahahha :+1: :+1: :+1: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

Bugs are pretty tough for what they are but with that much meat strapped across the bonnet, @DivaMarie should consider himself lucky it even moved. Anyone else smell burning clutch…? And forget about using the brakes, not that you’d need to, save running a couple miles of steep downgrade…:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t sell even an old and worn, but complete, serviceable, and running all day, bug short.
Now I subscribe to the Big Ford Powered Detroit Iron kind of outlook, but I have been in some old bugs (mostly a buddys original 1962 6 volt, tiny engine bug) that were tougher and more capable than I would have ever believed. And did it all the time. Not fast for sure, but…never failed.

4 Likes

Very familiar with them, in particular that 62. Not fast at all in stock form, but there’s something to be said for the simplicity and durability inherent in the design and air cooled is underrated. Cooling systems have always been a bit of an “Achilles heel”. Old Freddy Porsche was on to something…

3 Likes

Yeah, air cooled is great as long as you take care of it and use it right. Good, full oil, proper air flow/ducts, cowel, etc like it is meant to be. Don’t burn it to a crisp or spin it into the stratosphere and they will live forever.

Aircraft engines are air cooled just fine. That’s not just because they"re flying .

And that 62 was our courior through many, many, 100’s of miles, adventures and good times just in fly fishing trips alone.

3 Likes

The R-1340 Wasp and R-2800 Double Wasp being two of my favorites…we’ll see if anyone picks up on the associated aircraft but, suffice it to say, two of the finest ever to grace the skies, IMHO…

Sorry for the OT diversion, though both did have guns… :grin:

4 Likes

All I’m going to say for now is…God I LOVE radial engines. LOL Mmmmm…HHmm

4 Likes

And yes we got OT. Back to long range. :+1:

4 Likes

I was just going to say that, but was enjoying the dialogue nonetheless.

2 Likes

I have a ~5-mile range…but it would take and hour to go and check the target! :rofl:

Had to edit this before Chilepep got his eyes on it… :eyes: got a little snow last night.

4 Likes

Lovely view and also makes my 300 yards look more like “in next door’s back yard” for distance. You need a target minder, someone to sit nearby with a two way and report your hits, or misses… :grinning:

7 Likes

Off topic, but…that’d be the F4U Corsair.

5 Likes

Baha Bug’ Built to the Hilt’ :grin: The need for Speed still at 70+ Young! Hell I can’t leave anything alone, Once a Wrench always Wrench’ gotta to make it More Better.

6 Likes

Ah yes,But you take the 1200,40hp add a big bore kit brings it to (1385) add a Cam and Dual Manifold and 200 Series Holley and Empi Exhaust, :grin:

5 Likes

I’ll grant you, a fair guess.

I suppose my challenge was a bit loaded as that engine wasn’t exclusive to one particular aircraft. Probably a good thing as it was quite the radial power plant. And while I do like the Corsair (and most WW2 aircraft FWIW, sucker for an old prop warbird, I am) I was referring to the P-47, with preference to the bubble canopied versions, though they’re all special. They could do their job, take a helluva beating and still bring their pilot home in one piece. Not many aircraft of the era can claim that to the extent the Jug can. Tough as old boots, she was.

As for the R-1340 Wasp, that honor would belong to the NA T-6 Texan, known to the the Navy as the SNJ and the Brits as the Harvard. Lots of love for this one, so much so that I was involved in software development for a flight simulator many years back and, as a CAD jockey, my task was the 3D model, a little taste below…

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming… :wink:

7 Likes

Glad !! I could pass Some Snow Along This 18’’ dump in the last 24hr is getting Real Old, with a Brother! :smile:

5 Likes

@DivaMarie I was wondering how your winter was going this year? Where the heck are you? We’ve had a total of ~3”! I’m afraid my vineyard is going to wake up then get zapped by a freeze…keeping fingers crossed things stay cold a little longer.

5 Likes