M*CARBO Brotherhood

Long Range Accuracy

Ok all you experienced rifle guys out there. I’ve been looking around and can’t find any real info out there, so I’ll ask here. What is better for marksmanship, a heavy bullet or a light bullet? The best info I came up with is to experiment and see what works best with your particular firearm. Well, duh!

But what is the Brotherhoods thoughts on this? Any info is appreciated, but I’m hoping for a decent discussion here so my knowledge can get bigger.

8 Likes

what Caliber brother? and basic distance on how far you wanna push? 1000M?

7 Likes
  1. The longest I can do is 200 yards, unless I find another range. I know that really isn’t LONG range. But honestly, just curious what the science is behind it.
5 Likes

K … so …

Given that you can keep it supersonic, the heavier bullet will do a better job resisting getting pushed around by environmental factors.

Transonic flight is unstable, so if you can’t keep it supersonic, best to work with the extreme trajectories you’ll need to get your distance at subsonic velocities.

Heavier bullets are longer and therefore require faster twist to stabilize.

All that said, you’re going to balance compromises.

308 at 200 yards is not a stretch. Most commercial loads will make short work of game sized targets. Pick one your barrel shoots well and have fun. If you want to play with the science of long range shooting at 200 yards - you can learn a lot shooting subsonic 22lr.

12 Likes

OK, for a 200M zero(you dial it in flat at 200M) Hornady Match HPBT 168 gr.
leaves the barrel at 2700/2719 ft/lbs, and hits the 200m mark at between 2314 and 1997 ft/lbs of energy
think about .500 to.650 wind drift with a 10mph cross wind. 200M is the starting point for that round. it will reach out considerably further.
another excellent round,Serria Matchking, 175gr HBPT
But Like Milton says TWIST has to match to bullet weight. you start shooting distance a lot of things come into play…

11 Likes

The twist rate is 1 : 10. And the 175 Serria Matchking is highly recommended on on of the Weatherby blogs I was reading. Thanx guys. I knew there was a lot to it, just not how much…

5 Likes

Its really not as hard as it looks on paper! There is alot of data that can go in to it. The main thing is getting the right weight range bullet for the twist rate of you barrel! Once you find the bullet weight that groups the best. After that the best you can do it work on you techniques and your mechanics! Maybe upgrading parts in your gun! Once you get in to it and do it like anything else it becomes fairly easy! If you have questions as you found out this not a bad place ask!

6 Likes

I was looking through my stuff, for some ballistic data that would apply or be helpful to @Jperr Josephs question but I haven’t found what I was specifically looking for so far.

I did however, start a reference library. It contains a number of books, including some that will apply here.

8 Likes

just remember the longer the distance the more it becomes a mathematical problem.
trig is your friend…

6 Likes

I know there are several ballistics calculators available online. I have looked at them, but don’t know much about them. Good, bad, or ??

Buck, I’m guessing you probably do though. @GOBLIN

5 Likes

Lmao! Trig has never been any friend of mine! There is always ways around trig! Thank god!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I will pull out the easiest one and post it tonight when i get off work. moving machinery today…

6 Likes

If you really get into it, the rifle decides what bullet you use for the best accuracy. It’s truly a matter shooting, trial & error then you can really tell.

6 Likes

WORK ? My mother told me never use those 4 letter words in a conversation ! :grin: :grin: :zipper_mouth_face:

5 Likes

@jeffing65 here ya go brother, med to long range capable cheaper ya go less they got/reach out. seen guys spend over 1800$ for ones that do the same as this unit does.
thes is a good middle of the road electronic dope card, without fumbling with apps,phones,CAWG on cross winds, lat/long,altitude,dewpoint, and the like.
price is less than most pay on a cellphone, and a lot simple than dope cards…unless you have a good spotter…

4 Likes

@GOBLIN Yeah, that’s nice. :+1: :+1: Takes a lot of the unknowns and guesses out of the game.
Just like I know you did, I grew up making it count shooting the old fashioned way. Making solid 2…3…4…500+ yard desert shots at big game, with nothing but a good gun and sights (a 3 1/2-9 variable scope for me), a good consistent load, and all of your senses to put it on the mark.

5 Likes

yep drop some dust, watch the weed tops at the target and below (breeze can roll thru a vally tween 2 peaks) you and the target, adjust for angle, shoot ,tween 600 and 800M across inbetween 2 hillsides, then walk the 5 miles down and up and drag a 200lb Buck with ya on the way back. at that point, you tend to question the fact of your own sanity LOL

6 Likes

You have no idea how close you are to describing the longest shot I have ever made deer hunting… (dad was spotting for me)
It was 745 yards across a steep approx 300ft deep valley, from the ridge top I was on, to the hillside about a 1/4 way below the ridge top on the other side.
Then it was the mile jeep road ride down to the bottom, then up the valley as far as we could 4X until it got too narrow and steep for the Willys, then the hike up and the dragging back. And every bit of the 200 and some change on the hoof.

Then…

6 Likes

You boys could just make it easier on yourselves and hunt the woods and mountains of PA, most shots are 100 yards or under and you can get away with a lovely Model 94 chambered in 30-30. Dragging them out isn’t so much fun, though…even after being field dressed on the spot… :grinning:

5 Likes

You can get close shots here most of the time. !-200 yards. Or 30-40 feet when they stand up out of the rocks and brush right under your feet… LOL
It’s just those really big bucks are cagey, and most of the time you can never get close to them, and when you do see them it’s usually not for long.
Or in the case of this one, it was a late season buck hunt draw permit, and it was down to the wire. I had passed up nice 4 point bucks all season and this was in the afternoon of the next to last day.
The time for passing stuff up had passed, so to speak. I would normally not take that long of a shot but it was a clear dry day, there was no wind, I had a good rest, and my dad was spotting, so I had everything going for me as long as I didn’t just go stupid and make a bad trigger pull or something…

6 Likes