M*CARBO Brotherhood

Lite strike primer

My ruger ltr 100 has maybe 5 rds put thru it. Shot just fine. NOW it is dimplind the primer w/out discharge.
I have inspected and disasembled the bolt inspeceted and cleaned w/no defect full pin extention etc. Anything else i need to look at?

5 Likes

Handloads or factory?

3 Likes

Not familiar with the Gun so take this with a grain of salt.
Look at the hammer spring for broken coils etc.
Is there a firing pin safety ala glock type? Is it getting out of the way or jammed?
A hidden piece of trash or a burr from machining in the firing pin channel, Use a really good light.

Is the round not seating flush on the bolt somehow or protruding from the chamber preventing it from going fully in battery? Check the chamber and put a round on the bolt face, is the extractor able to move freely and snap over the case rim?

4 Likes

Factory, both .308 and 7.62 nato

Calvin Kirk
USAF (Ret)
Inst. A&P.

4 Likes

Sometimes, excessive headspace presents as light primer strikes. Do the nato rounds or civilian rounds work better?
Do you have a 308 case gauge? Better yet, headspace gauge set?
Maybe the investment would be worth it if you intend to get the most out of a lrt.
PS welcome to the brotherhood

8 Likes

Could be oil or grease slowing the firing pin and it could just be bad ammo with hard primers. 5 rounds? …need much more shooting to know anything really…

DR

6 Likes

Dont have gauges but on my list.
I dont see how head space changes on a weapon that has almost no use…
And thanks bro

Calvin Kirk
USAF (Ret)
Inst. A&P.

3 Likes

Good ideas, will ck the last ones. The spring is good and no FP safety
Thanks bro

Calvin Kirk
USAF (Ret)
Inst. A&P.

4 Likes

I had a savage that did almost the same new gun, sighted it in fired fine, took it out, wouldnt pop if i had the gun on a flat or up angle. only a down angle,.
cleaned it, when i got it, but there was enough storage grease that heated up and ran down onto the firing pin to make it sticky. just enough to slow it down where it wouldnt pop. angleing down like from a tree stand shot, allowed gravity to help and speed it up just enough. I cleaned and buffed out from the firing pin, bolt,bolt face and chamber, never did it again…

6 Likes

Not change, maybe slightly out of spec from the go…
Chamber on the large side (check with chamber gauges)
PLUS
Ammo on the small size (check with case gauge)
EQUALS
Unreliable ignition
Not saying it’s your problem, but it does happen. Something to check if it’s not a restricted firing pin issue. More then once I have heard “Light Primer Strikes” and it turned out to be anything but…
Al

8 Likes

Thanks another insp to try, ill get it yet…lol

Calvin Kirk
USAF (Ret)
Inst. A&P.

3 Likes

Goes the other way too - the primer can be pushed too deep in its pocket.

5 Likes

Easy stuff first, right?
Start with 1 kind of quality civilian ammo. Assuming the Ruger is chambered for 308 WCF, 10 rounds, clean after 5.
Try a different civilian ammo, same procedure. I wouldn’t mess with milspec in that nice of a rifle, unless specifically chambered for 762. Then get some good stuff, not a case of 1985 Brazilian special.
I’m a reloader, never mess with the stuff, but others have good results. Just don’t like running it through my dies or guns.

4 Likes

@Albroswift The 20" i built ,223 wylde heavy barrel, only gets a diet of either the Hornady ELD 73 grain or NOSLER RDF 70 gr off the shelf. as i built enough cases, im loading it to spec with the 73GR ELD. I could shoot anything out of it but those two shoot the most consistent at range. I feed it what it likes.

5 Likes

@431 Hello Calvin. Welcome to the Brotherhood and thank you for your service.

Have you tried shooting the FTF ammo in a different gun? If it fires in a different gun, then it would suggest lite primer strike.
If it doesn’t fire in another gun either, then it obviously is an ammo issue.

3 Likes

it’s nice to custom tailor a load for a custom gun. What handloading is all about.

4 Likes

I went thru about 12 different brands and 3 different weights before i found something close to where i knew it should be. wasn’t a total waste though, I had plenty of brass to reload to what it did like… :+1:
i just had to bump up the push a lil bit

5 Likes

when developing a new load first purchase after dies for me is a collet puller. Put it in one of the Rockchuckers, that way I can load a huge ladder for a trip to the range and its easy to reclaim all the components that don’t work out. Really like the camlocks from Hornady but the rcbs works well also.

5 Likes

Ill put that in my TS book thanks bro

Calvin Kirk
USAF (Ret)
Inst. A&P.

2 Likes

All factory, and all lite hits fired in my panther…which eats everything so far…lol

Calvin Kirk
USAF (Ret)
Inst. A&P.

2 Likes