M*CARBO Brotherhood

Light For Pic Rail

Hey evabody! I havent been on here for a couple months. The wife & I bought a fishing camp back in mid-July and the projects are never-ending. I’ve been busier than a hungry alligator at a children’s petting zoo.

Like an idiot, I went on Amazon and bought one of those cheap Commie Chinese made LED lights that incorporates a mount for it to go onto a Pic Rail. Sure enough, it doesn’;t work now after a couple range outings. Recoil must have done it in. It took a CR2 batt.

I’d appreciate any recco’s and advice y’all here have for a decent but not crazy-expensive light. A plus would be if it takes a regular batt like AAA’s or AA’s.

Plan B would be get a flashlight mount that goes onto a Pic Rail and the mount uses Velcro or some sort of tiedown to attach the light to the mount.

Thanks,
A-Aargh15

2 Likes

@A-Argh15 Here are a couple 1" flashlight mounts I found on Ebay for under $10. Home Depot sells Coast flashlights (really nice), some are 1" aluminum bodys, high luman/bright and use AA or AAA batterys for not alot of money.s-l400 s-l400%20(1)

3 Likes

Aargh matey! Thank ye!

1 Like

No sure what you want to spend, but I have been very happy with the 2 Olight mini valkyrie. They are rechargeable units. You can not switch out the batteries… If you decide on this brand, sign up for their newsletter they are usually running flash sales on most of their products. Good luck on your search.
Happy shooting!

1 Like

I’m probably gonna get the full size Olight weapon light and mount it on the top rail of my AR pistol, actually.

Gonna get the mini for my CCW

3 Likes

@A-Argh15 I have been nothing but happy with the Streamlight brand. I mount 'em on shotguns, pistols, and even a few long guns. I have almost a dozen of them and not a single one has ever failed me. (Cannot say that for some of the more expensive brands!)

The controls are simple,easy to manipulate, and intrinsic to operate.

Use some caution with the “high lumen” lights, they tend to “wash out” any optics.

About $80 bucks and you are golden. IMO

5 Likes

Wife’s competition pistol, high round count and looks like new!

1 Like

Another one without laser on the business end of one of our KSGs!

2 Likes

Both of these lights use either CR2 or CR123, but both still bright and functional after 2 years of use.

2 Likes

This TLR-3 is 8 years old, on its second battery, and has had a home on my AK47s, KSG shotgun, 1911, and .308 Socom16! Still works as well as the day I bought it and cost less than $80.

2 Likes

I second streamlight. They produce a great product. Have several on weapons along with using their pen lights for work. Great products

5 Likes

@Johnksg Love my Streamlight TLR-3, spring loaded picatinny mount can be put on by hand, no tools needed. 125 luman is bright enough and still on original CR2 battery which are only about $2.75 each.

3 Likes

i

Olight on my S2k and Streamlight TLR2 laser/light combo on my Benelli shotgun.

3 Likes

@Boomchucker dude you take sooo much better pics than I do on my $30 kindle tablet! Lol

1 Like

@A-Argh15 I got a Streamlight TLR-4 a few years ago and it’s still going great.

Ruger%203_LI

2 Likes

I’m Using the NcStar combo with green laser’ and it use’s 2 3v lithium Battery’s Appears to work and stay together for a none Expensive Brand.

Agree streamlight trl-8 here. Light and laser. GREAT PRODUCT.

1 Like

I agree, Yep that’s what I use, the streamlight TLR, I like the TLR-HL, I do see if you were in a crazy small space the potential of white wash, but feel if that were the case I most likely would not have it on anyway, and for my purpose 99% of the application would be outside. They have been durable. I like keeping my gear consistent, I have 5 of them mounted on handguns, the S2K, a patrol rifle, and on my Tavor, no issues, compact and easy to use.

2 Likes

Hey evabody, thanks for all the replies and helpful suggestions.

Dave67 - I saw those too; on Jeff Bezos hive of scum & villainy called Amazon! I like it a lot. My Momma always claimed when I was born the first thing I said was “Cheap!”

It happens that I’m fixing to stop back by HD today. I’ll pick me up a Coast flashlight. I have one of the Harbor Freight LED lights but the darn thing is too thick to mount on this Pic rail mount - it’s 1.3 inches diameter. Too bad cuz the on/off button is on the base/back of the light too - easy to punch it on if I need to grab the Mossberg 5Hundy and investigate a noise at night.

A-Argh15

2 Likes

@dherrle you are right about the washout. I use the HL versions on my outdoor weapons to great effect…took a bear a couple of years ago at 75 yards from the back porch one night with one.

But for inside the house, especially with white walls they do tend to be overpowering IMO.

Just depends what you want to use it for?

1 Like