Lever Action Rifles

@Johnksg

them heavily armored bo-gators that live round these parts…:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. didn’t they damn near wipe out all the buffalo with the old 45/70? I realize that was BP not modern powder but still operating at the same pressures

4 Likes

@GOBLIN you gotta warn a feller before you post something like that! I just spewed all over the place. :joy:

4 Likes

@Johnksg and heres your gif…chaos%20meme%2062 chaos%20meme%2063

4 Likes

Yep. The 45-70 is out of stock everywhere I’ve checked but I think I remember seeing a .357 and a .44 available at Bud’s. Or it may have been elsewhere. I have the 45-70 in my wishlist. When I get notified it’s available, I’m putting it in my cart.

I don’t have any experience with them but Henry All Weather is a good looking rifle. And a little cheaper I think.

5 Likes

what you gotta remember, is a lot of factory loaded ammo for 45/70 is loaded lite, for liability sake, due to the amount of old trap door springfields still out there, or is well marked .NOT FOR USE IN TRAPDOOR SPRINGFIELD RIFLES. it will blow the door.
remember, smokeless powder burns at a accelerated rate. black powder explodes. different pressures. if you have to buy ammo on the fly, Leverrevolution is good to hunt…

6 Likes

John, I take it that is your Ruger #1 pictured above. How does it shoot? What about yours Buck? Would y’all buy again?
To answer the question on the Contender, its a G2 I believe but not sure. I have heard all kinds of stuff about Contenders and G2 Contenders. I bought them new in the late 80’s.I do know its not an Encore.

3 Likes

my G2

yes, the 45/70 has a muzzle brake on mine. it needs it :smiling_imp:
my #1s? I would buyem all again, in a skinny minute. no hesitation.

4 Likes

Looks exactly like mine except I still have the factory wood furniture on mine.

3 Likes

yours have the black strip decellerator pistol grip? the poly has it as well…

3 Likes

Yes, Looks like the same 45/70 super 14 barrel I have also.

3 Likes

Heres a picture I had posted on another thread.

5 Likes

My hammer may look a little different than yours because I have a thumb extension on it since I have scopes mounted on all the barrels.

4 Likes

I shifted to poly cause i hunt a lot of wet areas, black water. doesn’t ding or briar scratch like wood can… plus, it doesnt swell…

4 Likes

I was usually hunting from blinds or vehicles with mine, thus the scopes. I usually had a good rest. Not very good for stalk hunting with the scopes though. The .223 is really the only good one for stalking since its the one I have the laser mounted on. Extended eye relief scopes aren’t worth a damn for snap shooting.

3 Likes

I may need to rethink getting a laminate stock on the rifles. May have to switch to a composite stocks since these will be out busting brush, bouncing around on my 3 wheeler rifle rack etc, Laminate does hide scratches better than walnut, but still susceptible to moisture.

4 Likes

Actually that is just a picture I pulled off of the Internet. My Ruger No. 1 was in 25-06 caliber with the standard wood and was a very good shooter. Right now it lives in another family members gun safe as my “cup runneth over” so to speak. :grin::+1:

6 Likes

Had to come back to that statement. I lied! I do own a couple Ruger 10/22’s. One takedown and one of the old original models that I have swapped out the original barrel for a 1/9 twist subsonic barrel. Guess I should have said no larger caliber Ruger rifles.

4 Likes

@Texprep yeah thats easy to do…I keep saying the same thing because the 10/22 are so ubiquitous that you simply take them for granted!

See @GOBLIN Marines can use fancy words!

5 Likes

@Johnksg u…u…u…u dangnab it found every where…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
pull-midvale-school-for-the-gifted-32778586

5 Likes