Lever Action Rifles

I am in the market for a couple lever guns. I’d like to get a good 45/70 to go along with my T/C Contender 45/70 14" pistol. Would also like to get a one in 44 mag to go with my Ruger Redhawk. Doesn’t have to be a new model, just a dependable shooter. Can anyone give me some ideas of some good ones? Ones to stay away from?

6 Likes

@Texprep had several of these including .44 and never had an issue with any of them. Those little trappers were just plain good fun!

75137_02_winchester_94ae_trapper_wrangl_640

5 Likes

@Texprep now I need to add those to my time machine list.

…sigh I traded 3 of them for an RC airplane!

2 Likes

The marlin is sweet…like that stainless against the grey laminate. Plus its a marlin so can scope it.

7 Likes

One thing I can say is that once I buy a firearm, it’s mine for life. I have never sold one. Have a couple I should get rid of like a little Sterling 25 auto. And no, I didn’t buy it. It was given to me by a relative. Biggest POS I have ever owned, just takes up space in my safe.

5 Likes

Model 1886 Deluxe Case Hardened Winchester lever action rifle. 24" octagon barrel . 45/70 cal.
weighs in at (lbs 12 oz. price is $1,739.99 8 rounds in the tube magazine, over all length, 44". best of the breed…

7 Likes

Now that is a nice looking Marlin. I am leaning towards a laminate/stainless model also. Do you know if they are available in both 44 mag and 45/70? I would assume they were. I would also probably scope them so a Marlin would be a good choice. I am partial to Winchesters, but don’t want to deal with an offset scope.

5 Likes

@Texprep that one is a .45-70 gimmie a sec and I’ll get you the info if Buck doesn’t beat me to it or piss me off and get me sidetracked.

3 Likes

you dont scope a winchester, you was a # 2 Lyman vernier tang sight!(2 disc)
focus older eyes really really really well…

what are we , savages??? stickpoke

7 Likes

and Marlin makes a 45/70 lever, Big Bore series, and stainless guidegun series…:smiling_imp::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

The stainless 45-70 is the Marlin 1895SBL 6+1 capacity and an MSR of $1,150 and a street price of about $850.

However most sites show out of stock. (Back orderable)

3 Likes

Damn, that’s a nice looking gun. Like I said, I’m partial to Winchesters but they just aren’t very scope friendly. I’m looking for something that’s fairly weather proof, something that will be carried on my 3 wheeler through the woods. I’d be afraid to carry that one out cause it wouldn’t look that good after a couple years of use.

4 Likes

I didn’t say you scope a Winchester you knuckle draggin’ mouth breathing squid!

…I said you scope a Marlin!

1 Like

Think he was talking to me about not scoping the winchester. I really like Winchesters but since I want to scope these that’s why I’m asking for advice. The 45/70 would probably get a fixed 4x scope and the 44 mag would probably get either a NV or thermal scope. Love hunting those pigs at night.

3 Likes

@Texprep and as captain obvious (@GOBLIN) pointed out the 1895 SBL in 45-70 is also known as the Big-Bore Series…its same gun. :grin::+1:

Buck’s on my list…he knows what he did! :triumph:

2 Likes

My first hunting rifle was a pre 64 Winchester 30/30. It was my dads rifle, but a few years ago he passed it on to me. I bought another one about 10 years ago from a lady whos husband passed away. Great guns! I have a Marlin 22 mag, but that is the only Marlin I have ever owned. Started hunting with that 30/30 my dad passed on to me 50 years ago when I was 9. He would give me 1 bullet, put me in a tree stand and tell me to make that shot count, you won’t get a second chance if you miss. Guess that’s why I’m so partial to the Winchester lever actions. It was the 1st gun I deer hunted with.

5 Likes

Used to hunt javelina with .44 lever, it was a pig slayer. :grin::+1:

3 Likes

Ya want something real nice, to drag thu the woods? Ruger #1 in 45/70
hunting with a gun gives it character marks,
course the EX wife once told me I didnt look that sporty after a couple years of hard use…:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Ive got 3 #1s. smallest is 45/70 largest is 458 win, and they a 300 win mag in the pile as well. tecnicly is a lever gun, single shot fallin block. seen em range with Irons or drilled for scope, or both, for between 900 and 1,300:smiling_imp:

this is like the 458 I have, tropical variant. they do a Manlicher style as well…

6 Likes

@Johnksg Next you will wanna put a breecher on the darn lever gun…3…2…1 :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

@GOBLIN awww Buck just when you piss me off you go and say something semi-intelligent!

A No. 1 in 22-250 for just plinking varmints with a gun so classy they feel honored to be slain by such a beautiful weapon.

+1 manlicher stock

4 Likes